[IC2 Exp][1.6.4][V1.118] Advanced Power Management V1.2.85-IC2_1.118

• Thanks to hard work by Tallinu, we are in final testing for a 1.5.1 beta release. I'll update the first post and post a reply here to bump the thread when it's ready. ETA is probably at least next weekend.

• Please tell me that it will be actually craftable?

Of course! This is simply a transformer that can accept any voltage and output any voltage, good for converting directly from HV to LV for example, especially for feeding rows of energy-hungry overclocked machines. The output rate setting will effectively determine how many packets of the desired size it will output per tick. Whereas normal IC2 transformers will only accept one packet per tick, limiting them to four output packets, which puts a choke on the energy throughput unless you install several in parallel.

I just got done implementing input/output toggles for each side (although it doesn't show up on the block textures currently - going to have to draw a new one for that). This means you can control which sides will accept energy and which sides will output energy, to avoid accidentally frying your lower voltage wiring and machines.

A redstone signal will shut it off (no input or output) so you can use logic to control power flow, or temporarily disable it to reconfigure it or your wiring without risk.

• Of course! This is simply a transformer that can accept any voltage and output any voltage, good for converting directly from HV to LV for example, especially for feeding rows of energy-hungry overclocked machines. The output rate setting will effectively determine how many packets of the desired size it will output per tick. Whereas normal IC2 transformers will only accept one packet per tick, limiting them to four output packets, which puts a choke on the energy throughput unless you install several in parallel.

I just got done implementing input/output toggles for each side (although it doesn't show up on the block textures currently - going to have to draw a new one for that). This means you can control which sides will accept energy and which sides will output energy, to avoid accidentally frying your lower voltage wiring and machines.

A redstone signal will shut it off (no input or output) so you can use logic to control power flow, or temporarily disable it to reconfigure it or your wiring without risk.

Oh good lord, THANK YOU!!! This will ease my power plant designs immensely. Also, in addition, would it be possible for the Adjustable Transformer to accept higher-than-normal EU voltages and other types of wiring a la GregTech? If so...... Excuse me for a moment, I have to clean up the fragments of my blown mind.

• I'd like to keep the max output packet size at 2048, which is the highest that any normal IC2 wiring can handle - but since it can spit out up to 64 packets per tick, that shouldn't be a problem.

I see no reason to limit the maximum input voltage, since this is intended to accept "any" voltage after all. I have to plug in some number though, so if you can tell me what the highest packet size his stuff can put out is, I'll set it to that.

Updated screenshot: Adjustable Transformer GUI The block textures are slightly different on input and output sides now, as well.

• Good news: The test build will include the new Adjustable Transformer after all.

More good news: Here it is! Download is in the attachment below.

This version is for testing purposes, and may have unnoticed bugs. BACK UP YOUR WORLDS before running them with this build! We accept no responsibility if anything is lost or damaged due to inexplicably uncaught severe bugs. (It's unlikely, but you have been warned.)

It appears to run fine on Minecraft 1.5.2 using Forge 7.8.0.684, but most of our testing has been on MC 1.5.1 using Forge builds 666 through 679 and IndustrialCraft 2 version 1.115.304
    If you find a bug, please follow the reporting steps in the original post. Reliable reproduction steps are important in helping us fix them!

Mods which have not yet implemented the vanilla ISidedInventory interface will continue to use the old slot access sides; Vanilla hoppers/droppers and mods which have switched to the vanilla interface will use new access rules for the charging bench and battery station. The battery station's input and output slots can be accessed from all sides, but the input slot can only have items inserted (and only valid battery type items), and the output slot can only have items removed. The charging bench's input and output slots are accessed either from the top or the bottom, following the same new rules as the battery station's (for all electric items), while the power slot is still accessed from any side.

Going from low-voltage to extreme-voltage and vice versa is now easier than ever! The new Adjustable Transformer is crafted using a HV-transformer, Advanced Circuit, and LV-transformer in a vertical line. It accepts any standard IC2 voltage (the max is set to 8192, which may allow input from some gregtech equipment). The interface allows you to control the output voltage (the packet size) and the amount of EU it will allow to pass through per tick (with a maximum of 64 packets' worth to avoid lag). It also allows you to control whether each side acts as an input or an output. The block texture shows red markings on output sides, which are absent on input sides. (The textures may get modified in the future, if we can think of improvements.) You can also apply a redstone signal to completely disable the transformer - it will not accept or output energy while powered by redstone. You can use this for a manual shutoff switch or to automate control of energy flow through your bases.

Remember, this is not yet a final release, just a public test build. BACK UP YOUR SAVES!

UPDATE: There's a newer version, two posts down. Grab that one!

• Okay, this version may end up being the release, if no bugs are discovered in it. Everything seems stable, and I've been adding more new features that I'm eager to get out to everyone!

APM 1.1.68-IC2-1.115:
    Improved average tracker response time when EU rate drops to zero or a trickle. You can see it changing right away now!

Charging Bench GUI updated with four new display items: redstone power state, average EU input per tick, total EU required to charge current items, and estimated time required to finish charging (ETC). The last two take into account the effects of overclockers, and the ETC will consider the average EU input if the bench's stored energy is insufficient to complete the charging operation!

Adjustable Transformer block textures updated. Output sides now switch textures based on output packet size and show a single dot of the appropriate color. Input sides have four dots, one for each voltage level.

Miscellaneous code improvements and minor fixes.

Download here:

• Poll time!

I could use some feedback on the Adjustable Transformer's GUI.

Does anyone actually use, or see themselves likely to use, the +/- buttons for the voltage and rate settings? I don't think I've touched them since I added the x2 and /2 buttons in our development version.

I was given a suggestion that it needed presets for LV, HV, etc, and I think that's a great idea, but the control panel is already fairly crowded. I was considering replacing the +/-10 and +/-64 buttons with LV, MV, HV, EV buttons, at least for the packet size (so the buttons would be +1, LV, MV, x2 and -1, HV, EV, /2, for example).

An alternative to this would be to add these presets as a third row of buttons above or below the current numeric buttons. This would require making the GUI taller. I could do this for the transfer rate section as well. It's not like it doesn't have room to expand at the moment, but a more cluttered UI doesn't look as appealing.

For reference, here's how the GUI looks at the default launcher resolution:

Anyway, I'm hoping that people who try out the new version will consider this question and offer their opinions or their own new ideas for improving the mod.

Thanks, and have fun!

• Adjustable transformer: Is the main reason i'm going to use your mod. I think that if you switch to packet size buttons, i would like an extreme low voltage setting as well, because there's been times i wished i could use tin cables to transport power from places without losing anything. Generally for wind-farms, but i've also had that desire with solar flowers that i had in remote areas because i didn't want them as part of the aesthetic of my home.

• if this has been answered countless times before, i apologise....does this mod plan to be in any of the future ftb packs?

We would love to have it in a future FTB pack but inclusion isn't up to us. It's definitely available to be put into any of the FTB packs if the people who create those packs want to do so. Go bug Direwolf20 or one of the other main pack creators if you want to see this added! :)

• We would love to have it in a future FTB pack but inclusion isn't up to us. It's definitely available to be put into any of the FTB packs if the people who create those packs want to do so. Go bug Direwolf20 or one of the other main pack creators if you want to see this added! :)

I actually thought there was a reason for its exclusion. The fact that there isn't one is baffling. This is a brilliant add-on...i shall try and bug the modpack devs to have it included. Thanks for your work on it :thumbup:

• Adjustable Transformer is incredible and awesome and better than I could have imagined it to be. The mod now fits its name with management. So cool. I love the configurable inputs and outputs.

I am no expert on EU networks so I'm not sure if this is some intended mechanic or a bug, but currently I have an adjustable transformer receiving 512 eu from an MFSU. It's outputting 512 eu into 32 eu packets. One is going south, the other east, each into 2x ins copper cables. The the south one was given output first, the east second. The south one is receiving around 344 eu/t and the east around 168. I can't figure out why that would happen unless its a mechanic of the transformer, because they both have two cables from them and lead to an MFSU.

• Adjustable Transformer is incredible and awesome and better than I could have imagined it to be. The mod now fits its name with management. So cool. I love the configurable inputs and outputs.

I am no expert on EU networks so I'm not sure if this is some intended mechanic or a bug, but currently I have an adjustable transformer receiving 512 eu from an MFSU. It's outputting 512 eu into 32 eu packets. One is going south, the other east, each into 2x ins copper cables. The the south one was given output first, the east second. The south one is receiving around 344 eu/t and the east around 168. I can't figure out why that would happen unless its a mechanic of the transformer, because they both have two cables from them and lead to an MFSU.

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I'm not certain I understand the situation you're describing. Is it one transformer with two outputs hooked up, or two transformers drawing from the same input source? And is "2x ins" copper cable from another mod, or do you mean basic IC2 insulated copper cable? Screenshots would be incredibly helpful.

And when you say "south first, east second", are you expecting the order in which output sides are selected to have an effect on where the energy goes, like some kind of priority? Unfortunately, IC2's energy net doesn't seem to offer any functionality for picking where the output energy goes when it's being sent out - it expects all outputs to be equally valid, and they must be set ahead of time.

I had originally wanted to allow every output side to be independently configured in terms of output voltage and total EU sent, and spent a lot of time experimenting with the energy network interface. But the only way I could find to achieve that would be to remove and re-insert the transformer from the network multiple times per tick with a different output direction each time. And that's definitely not how it was intended to be used. I suspect that could wreak havoc with server CPU load, not to mention inviting all kinds of bugs. So unless the API changes to support it, there's no way to split power evenly or according to some custom ratio without using additional transformers to throttle each output cable independently.

Please let me know if that answers your question!

• 1. Sorry, I just meant insulated copper cable, that shouldn't be relevant though.
    2. I didn't expect the order of output sides picked to effect the amount outputted, but it appears that it is.

Edit: Strangely enough, deleting everything then resetting it in the exact same configuration fixed the problem, with each outputting exactly 256 eu/t at 32 per packet. Strange.

Edit 2: Realized in original setup that one output has one cable then an mfsu, then the other has two. Setting new setup to this revealed same outcome. Is this intended, that EU split between outputs is determined by cable length?