What do you guys all think about the new goal for forge to have updates out before the release of Major versions of Minecraft?

• So it looks like Forge is really trying to up the game and it seems from what I been hearing CPW is trying to get mod devs to in fact have their mods done ahead of time and ready for the launch of new versions. What do you think of it and are you a player or a server owner?

I personally love it even if they are not stable. I mean it gets to the point where you wait almost 2 months for a mod to release and then it never even shows up but having forge encourage developers to try to release their mods the day of a release I think is great and even more since we get the pre releases to really get a head start.

I doubt and this is only personal judgement that IC will be ready anytime since to many the devs been busy in real life and that's fine it sucks for us but they are allowed lives too :P, but I can tell you that BuildCraft has already been updated and a few others have been claiming their ready so its going be exciting even if its not close to home here but just watching the mods all crank up at once.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• I think the 1.2 to 1.3 jump traumatized way too many people. Now everyone thinks a mod will take months to update after each new version lol.

And if you check some post by Richard, you will see he already ported IC2 to the 1.4 prerelease (or is in the works to)

Yeah I agree there on the traumatized haha. The big one for me is I use to wait for Bukkit Port also and that is really slow I doubt that will about out anytime soon for the forge bukkit core mod. But yeah glad to hear things are a lot easy now.

• Let me get my point: Don't use Bukkit. It was not intended for mods and ports break the mods themselves.

Oh I agree half and half on the bukkit thing. The problem is not many developers have released any server tools for Admins to do their job. A lot of us had to depend on something more "stable" and "reliable" to help protect our servers and such. I mean is there even block breaking events in forge yet? If so why has no one out there made a simple logblock system I mean its just a quarry into a sql database ;)

So yes I rather use pure forge but the problem is the current developers are making full out mods like IC where there seems to be no one doing smaller mods like cmd based mods and such.

• bukkit just like forge, it provide event hooks and modloading, but does not support random additional content.
    any plugin will fail on modadded block, since they not designed for this.

worldeditor wont copy custom TE
    worldguard wont protect from custom tools or custom mobs.

• Won't be as good as the standard logblock either, which logs all small details such as the sapling which grew into a tree.

That I don't mind I had actually just logged place/break/chests and this did 99% of the job for me :) There is ways and such but a lot harder and usually easier to find overtime if you look hard enough.

• Damn I'm going to bed now but last hour 1.4.2 Has come out and from what I seen these guys are damn isnane. So many mods updating at once or at least releasing a beta its impressive haha. I doubt I will able to sleep now!

• 1.4.2 only added a few stuff such as less than 10 new methods and vec3 information to the server gui, but shifted everything and warranted a MCP update

Ahh sweet, Thanks for the info someone who does not know a lot of the behind stuff I always like hearing about it. I'm glad this gave you guys a bit of a break this time around!

• Official Post

Don't use bukkit on a server that is more than just close friends? Ha :) I'd agree that I'd stop using it too if people actually developed tools for vanilla.

Glad to see forge has updated this fast and many other mods. Gives me hope that I won't need to stay on 1.2.5 much longer. *looks at redpower with shifty eyes*

• Don't use bukkit on a server that is more than just close friends? Ha :) I'd agree that I'd stop using it too if people actually developed tools for vanilla.

Glad to see forge has updated this fast and many other mods. Gives me hope that I won't need to stay on 1.2.5 much longer. *looks at redpower with shifty eyes*

I know the feeling. I just want even basic stuff for the future chest transaction hell not even that just simple block place / block break would be more then enough. Hopefully though the future will get brighter and it does not look like its to far off either more forge mods or that whole bukkitcore thing cpw is doing.

• Bukkit is kind of essential for larger servers. It just is to hard to manage a big server blindly. I love HawkEye because I can see every transaction made into a chest, every block placed, et cetera, it's hardly like storage costs anything and it's nice to be able to roll everything back so smoothly. At the same time, Bukkit ported mods are way to buggy for my liking. Have any of the big Forge developers looked into providing code more aimed at server side plugins? I see Forge has a new event system, could we see Bukkit like events coming soon? Imagine that, bringing the plugins to Forge, not Forge to the plugins.

Does anyone remember when SpaceToad left the modding scene. He said he was in mind with Flowerchild in that Forge had failed to attract the attention it needed. Tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if Risugami stopped updating ModLoader and said "everyone to Forge!". It's a shame it couldn't be used in the official Mojang API (one of the downfalls of GPL).

• Bukkit is kind of essential for larger servers. It just is to hard to manage a big server blindly. I love HawkEye because I can see every transaction made into a chest, every block placed, et cetera, it's hardly like storage costs anything and it's nice to be able to roll everything back so smoothly. At the same time, Bukkit ported mods are way to buggy for my liking. Have any of the big Forge developers looked into providing code more aimed at server side plugins? I see Forge has a new event system, could we see Bukkit like events coming soon? Imagine that, bringing the plugins to Forge, not Forge to the plugins.

Does anyone remember when SpaceToad left the modding scene. He said he was in mind with Flowerchild in that Forge had failed to attract the attention it needed. Tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if Risugami stopped updating ModLoader and said "everyone to Forge!". It's a shame it couldn't be used in the official Mojang API (one of the downfalls of GPL).

Really? For me it was the opposite. You should have tried them out on Vanilla then bukkit. We had the bukkit porters actually fix bugs that these guys would not do or waited to damn long to do lol. RedPower had like 10+ upgrades on its own with a few really sweet features.