Rocket-powered Hang Glider

• Are you feeling completely insane? Tired of swimming in your chests full of diamonds and refined iron? Well, how about you put your hard-earned resources to use! Instead of digging underground like a star-nosed mole rat, how about you take to the skies in an incredibly dangerous contraption!

Presenting: the rocket-powered hang glider!

How come nobody has thought of this before? The most inconvenient thing about a hang glider is the lack of lift. So, we'll strap on twin booster rockets providing upwards of 30,000 Gibbl of thrust!

By combining the incredibly inefficient fossil-fueled jetpack with a more modern hang-glider design and horizontal movement, we can create a machine that is capable of doing much more than give you the ability to walk in midair!

Key features:
    -Allows for rapid travel, unlike the jetpack which only goes as fast as you can walk
    -Has slow vertical travel, as gliders are supposed to. The disadvantage is you have to float to the ground instead of plunge like a jetpack
    -Looks awesome.

• Advanced/Better/New Jetpacks have already been suggested. I don't know if they have been denied or simply ignored.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• And there is a safety reason why you don't attach a Saturn V to a flimsy hangglider that yo momma made....

• well,

I must say, i like the concept. only there are some technical problems to ceep in mind with super fast travel over land

1. the chunk loading will be very high, causing severe lag and for some crashes of mc client

- thats really the only one i can think of now, its plausible but not practical. sorry mate ;)

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• I like it, but it probably won't be implemented for the reasons mentioned above.
    And why do I reply then? Because Gibbl is a unit of pressure, not of force.

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• Advanced/Better/New Jetpacks have already been suggested. I don't know if they have been denied or simply ignored.

It's not a jetpack. it's a hang glider attached to a jetpack.

I don't understand this at all. We've had quantum sprint since Industrialcraft 2 and everyone is still going on about chunk loading? If you can quantum jump as much as you like, then a hang glider that travels significantly slower should be of no issue whatsoever.

Have you EVER crashed minecraft by simply loading chunks? If so, you probably have another problem, such as not allowing Java enough memory.

This is NOT a good reason for NOT adding a better way to fly, besides the highly expensive quantum suits.

• Alright, valid argument there. let me rephrase mine as how i saw the situation.

my point of view of your first post was an speed exceeding the q suit sprint.
    now, some people i know have problems playing mc because of chunk loading when they travel in creative mode (fly mode)

if this add on will get implemented, i suggest it will not exceed the q suit sprint or the creative mode fly to make it useful to nearly all people.

back to your argument about chunk loading whining, (sorry :) )
    it is not in my interest to let the game develop to my specs and mine alone. i wish to see that all items can be lag free used by all players. so yes, chunk loading is an problem for those with low rate computers.

but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what i think. Alblaka can only say yes or no..

i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• I wonder if players lagging in fly mode due to chunk loading is fixed with minecraft 1.3 (since it's loaded as a MP server, it's likely the server will refuse to load chunks if it will cause too much load on the disk). I have myself noticed a significant increase in the amount of time it takes to load chunks. They still get there, but at multiplayer-server pace instead of the previous singleplayer speed.

Quantum suits are the ultimate (so far) method of transportation, it would be unbalanced if lesser-tech could get around faster (without a MUCH bigger set of rockets!). A single quantum leap at full sprint could probably get you 80 blocks in <1 second, but a rocket hang glider would go much slower, and probably more smoothly! I was imagining something around 2-3 times faster than sprinting on the ground, with perhaps some sort of afterburner that pushes it a bit faster than that (Better fuel as well?).
    It's not even about whether or not Alblaka likes it, I just like contributing my ideas and helping Alblaka come up with more ideas. Although I'd love to see people flying around in these!

• if this add on will get implemented, i suggest it will not exceed the q suit sprint or the creative mode fly to make it useful to nearly all people.

The Q-Suit run is already slowed down when it makes the player discovering too quicly new chunks. This Jetpack could have the same thing.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• The Q-Suit run is already slowed down when it makes the player discovering too quicly new chunks. This Jetpack could have the same thing.

well done, you repeated exactly what i meant to say here, (forigive me, i have an LOL day if u know what i mean)

i really dont have anything more to add to this thread, so if it gets implemented i will look forward to it. if not, try creating this as an addon :)

• well done, you repeated exactly what i meant to say here, (forigive me, i have an LOL day if u know what i mean)

No, I didn't. I meanted that, if I've read the Wiki-changelog in a true way, when you are too quick for a serv with your Q-run, your speed changes, decreases. And such a system could also be implemented for such a jetpack.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Perhaps in addition to this convenient lag-reducing there could be a SIGNIFICANT damage penalty for smacking into an entity or block. An arrow to a fuel tank might cause it to rupture and explode. This would give it the edge it needs, just as the incredible danger of fall damage for the jetpack keeps it interesting.

• I dont see a real problem here except on really slow pc's. I dont even get lag on my pc when i use Q suit or creative fly to discover new chunks. It loads them faster than you can move. This is with a first generation i5 so its not some crazy high end third generation i7 cpu.