Direwolf20's Lets Play, featuring Industrial Craft, with Buildcraft and Equivalent Exchange

• hehe, I'm so cheap. I built a contraption that turns Reeds into Diamonds. using EE to coal to industrial Diamonds. Its funny and a little complex. Let me dig up the old save and take a screen shot. I have the math for it somewhere. found it! 100 Sugar cane makes one industrial diamond. through a Series of Auto crafting tables, Macerators, compressors and furnaces.

I love the Let's Play Direwolf. I've been using EE, BC, IC2 and RP on my worlds for a good while and thought they would make a good let's play. glad you did it. There are a few things from IC2, RP and EE that you haven't hit on yet that I think people would find interesting. For Instance the Hacksaw stuff from RP you can use in designing houses and making them look pretty and you can cut glass blocks down and 4x your supply for windows AND they are recoverable.

• has recipe book been changed recently to display more than one thing at a time, or is there an addon that you have to make it do that?

• Official Post

Chrome: Yea, I should check those out -- I only JUST recently updated RP, so haven't toyed with those items yet. Plus, I'm not much of a cosmetic builder, almost all the stuff i build is for functional purposes (Hence my square rooms....) lol :). I suck at interior design!

Esc: Newer version i believe does that.

• Dude I have a MONSTER computer and like 15 gig of ram and a nice vid card, but FRAPs lags the crap out of me constantly. It's almost unbearable. In addition I get epic dark vids. How the hell do you get your vids to not SUCK darkness-wise and avoid lag?

• Not sure :). Make sure you tell whatever antivirus you use to ignore the folder that fraps is using to record videos.

No anti-virus installed. I'm a crazy person. Also I'm very technically inclined. Do you use Fraps? do you have multiple hard drives? If so are your videos going to a seperate drive from where the minecraft data is? Is it a performance drive?

• Just watched new episode. That's a lot of oil. you can use a filler to build pipe back to your house. just have it build in a straight line to max distance, may take two or three placements though. If you put power to a placed landmark is sends out blue beams to the max dimensions an area can be set. in case you didn't know.

Two things about your new contraption-

you can get flint from glowstone but it's a 7 step process- glowstone->coal->cobblestone->macerator->gravel->macerator->flint
    That being said Macerating 1 gravel gives 1 flint.
    Also you can turn Glowstone into clay and make brick, but you got the Obisidian Aggregators so.

To keep things from overflowing use Insertion pipes. I'm thinking you'll need lots of double chests when breaking glowstone down to coal.
    If power is running to an IC2 Machine and you have an item put into it, will it never go into the fuel input? If you don't have enough macerators you may have an overflow issue.. I wonder how Insertion pipes work in that case..
    For the insertion pipes I just run it back around to the chest the pipe originated from.

I'm a function over form person as well, but occasionally I'll think "hmm you know this would look cool like this.." I've built floors out of chests and furnaces, gold and diamond blocks. Walls out of Dispensers and Pistons, just because they looked cooler than stone or what have you.

• Official Post

Thanks Chrome -- the filler idea is actually pretty good. I might try that :). I do know about the blue beams thing, I usually use it but I probably just skipped it in my videos.

I did play around last night, and found the Dirt + sand = gravel recipe. I was thinking about just making a SMALL addition to my machine, that takes Cobble, splits it 2 ways, 1 way to dirt, 1 way to sand, and then make gravel, and send it back along the original pipe to the gravel -> Flint chest. Then I could just dump cobble into my 'input' chest and get flint. Cobble is common enough that this would be a good use for it.

Obsidian is easy to come by with that factory I have as well.

I don't like insertion pipes -- i know I use them, but heres the problem I've run into. Your machine is full, insertion pipes move onto the next path. 1 slot opens up in your machine (it processed something), 2-3 objects make it past the 'check if machine is full' point, and only 1 can fit, so the other 1-2 get stuck. Its rare-ish (My recycler setup loses a few dirt per stack going in if I put 5-6 stacks at once). I know I could then use an obsidian pipe to collect excess, but then A) It kinda makes the insertion pipe useless, might as well just use obsidian to begin with, and B) It complicates the build a bit more.

That said, I have this awesome idea about sending objects (with pipes) through a portal, and then having a vacuum pipe on the other end to suck it up. Gold pipe near the end of the piping, shoots an item out the end of it, and through an open portal. Other side, it lands on the ground (comes out the other portal) and vacuum pipe sucks it up. Unfortunately, the ONLY item I want to send a long distance through pipes is oil, and that doesn't shoot out the end of an open pipe :(.

No, you can still put items into the 'power' slot, even if it has power. The insertion pipe being on the TOP of the machine though, it should only fill the top slot. Thats how my recyclers work. Just like a furnace, Pipes to the top of the machine fill the top slot, pipes to the bottom of the machine fill the bottom slot (In this case energy, or with a furnace, the fuel slot), and pipes on the side pull output slots.

I should start making my house look purty, I just feel like that might be a boring youtube episode ;).

• Official Post

No anti-virus installed. I'm a crazy person. Also I'm very technically inclined. Do you use Fraps? do you have multiple hard drives? If so are your videos going to a seperate drive from where the minecraft data is? Is it a performance drive?

I use fraps, but the videos are going to the same drive. My game lags a LITTLE when its running, but usually its ok. Its nothing special, just a standard SATA drive (not SSD)

My PC is a quad core with 4gb ram (i should get more) and a decent video card. Its like 3-4 years old or so.

• Right, if they go to the top.. hmm I haven't had a problem with insertion pipes dumping items, but if you have then just go with obsidian. I've been wondering if you can put buckets in a chest next to an Oil tank with a wood pipe and have the oil put in the buckets, then you could have the buckets shoot out through a portal; That would be the only reason to take the oil out of the tanks.

you can Macerate cobble to gravel to flint, one to one to one. not sure which is more efficient cobble to dirt/sand to gravel..

crap.. cobble turns to sand when you macerate it? thought it turned to gravel. I remember doing it before. *shrug* oh well. so yeah using EE to get gravel seems like the way to go.

you can multiple your flint easily though. macerate gravel to flint use 2 flint to make 3 gravel with P.Stone on workbench.

• hehe, I'm so cheap. I built a contraption that turns Reeds into Diamonds. using EE to coal to industrial Diamonds. Its funny and a little complex. Let me dig up the old save and take a screen shot. I have the math for it somewhere. found it! 100 Sugar cane makes one industrial diamond. through a Series of Auto crafting tables, Macerators, compressors and furnaces.

I love the Let's Play Direwolf. I've been using EE, BC, IC2 and RP on my worlds for a good while and thought they would make a good let's play. glad you did it. There are a few things from IC2, RP and EE that you haven't hit on yet that I think people would find interesting. For Instance the Hacksaw stuff from RP you can use in designing houses and making them look pretty and you can cut glass blocks down and 4x your supply for windows AND they are recoverable.

Dude that's hella smart, a lot smarter than my automatic cobblestone farm. Maybe my farm produces 64 cobblestone every 2 seconds and is able get one diamond out of 4 stacks of cobblestone, but hell your factory is more efficient and does not bring your FPS down to 2.

• Did I just watch the whole videos in one run? yes I just did.

Please ignore this floating platform with 10,000 solar panels. Nothing to see here.

• Just an FYI you can make industrial diamonds by swapping the obsidian with a machine block or even a Bricks block. This would be a good addition to your diamond factory Compressor.

• Those are part of the notorious secret recipes
    anyways I dont even need reeds to make my industrial diamonds!
    I use air blocks XD
    I take a stack of cobble, split it into dirt, combine with 2 seeds to get 4 saplings split the saplings half go back to make seeds
    the other half makes logs, logs are smelted into charcoal, which is converted via redstone into coal half is converted back into cobblestone
    the other half is free coal Macerate, craft and compress for coalchunks