Toolbox tweak

• Now, I used the search bar and searched for "toolbox" and just saw random crap about it and no suggestions based on it so I guess I am safe:

I always felt that toolboxes were useless. They can store tools but when you open them, all the tools come out, making it actually better to not have the toolbox at all.

I put my toolbox in the recycler in shame that the toolbox was wasted in a crafting recipe and wondered how it could have been better and thought:

"In real life, toolboxes can store many tools but when somebody actually uses the tools inside, they don't take them out all at once, they take one out at a time."

So then I thought:
    If toolboxes could be portable chests for tools in industrialcraft, then that would be nice.

From my Idea, I would think that you could right click while holding the toolbox and put tools in your hotbar or whatever that is called (the thing where all your tools show up and you can use them) into the toolbox and take tools out and in as necessary. That way, You actually DO save inventory space and works much better than the current toolbox.

Apologies if this idea is stupid or I didn't search hard enough for toolbox suggestions. Feedback is appreciated, even from that certified asshole guy :)

• I have personally never used a toolbox for this exact reason, perhaps it could be like the crop-nalyzer and leave your hotbar out while hiding other inventory items so that you could place your tools in an easily accessible GUI.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• I agree with the general message of this. I have never found a good reason to use a toolbox when I have things like Forestry's backpacks to ensure I have enough space for most things. In addition, the way it works right now is a bit clunky, as well. A re-write may well be necessary - if it turns out to be something like a smaller inventory, checking to ensure only tools can be put in the box is necessary.

• I guess if the toolbox has been coded like that, it's maybe because it was easier ... but I agree with the Idea.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• It was coded that way because I did NOT want to copy your casual "Item with own inventory for specific items"-concept. Though it's pretty much the only applyable concept nowadays, it seems :/

I'm fine with it. That's a way having ust 1 problem: the fact it's annoying when your inventory is full because it make you need to take the time to drop some items. But that also makes it different of all that Backpack and Alchemy bag from the mod I won't quote. Also, IC²-Toolbox is the only one not to be OP in my mind (because it can only store Tools, wich are unstackable, but don't allows you to get 2000 stack of cobble on yourself ...

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• I agree with this, never use the toolbox nowadays because there's no reason to, if I have a full inventory and would actually need it, I need to drop a bunch of junk to get it out, which is not worth saving 3 or 4 inventory spaces

• It was coded that way because I did NOT want to copy your casual "Item with own inventory for specific items"-concept. Though it's pretty much the only applyable concept nowadays, it seems :/

Can I suggest you another concept? Unique afaik:

Toolbox is an item, able to store any amount of unique tools from different mods. Only tools can be stored, only one exemplar of each tool can be stored.
    When Toolbox item in hand, Right-click swaps tool in previous slot with next tool inside Toolbox. Left-click swaps tool in previous slot with previous tool inside Toolbox. Tools inside sorted by names or IDs. Before first and after last is "empty" ofc. In case toolbox is in slot 1 it do not work or work with slot 2.

This Toolbox would allow to store tools and use them very easy and without much troubles.

• Official Post

Toolbox is an item, able to store any amount of unique tools from different mods. Only tools can be stored, only one exemplar of each tool can be stored.
    When Toolbox item in hand, Right-click swaps tool in previous slot with next tool inside Toolbox. Left-click swaps tool in previous slot with previous tool inside Toolbox. Tools inside sorted by names or IDs. Before first and after last is "empty" ofc. In case toolbox is in slot 1 it do not work or work with slot 2.

This Toolbox would allow to store tools and use them very easy and without much troubles.

Your concept effectively has the same function on both clicks, whilst only containing one tool inside the toolbox at all. You should work on (the explanation of) that concept.

• What I got from that was clicking the toolbox to rotate the "active" tool (one slot left of the toolbox) through several others that are somehow in the toolbox -- I don't see how one could insert multiple tools in the first place, either, but if that gets resolved, it might be an interesting implementation.

...Maybe left-click to have it munch a tool (without replacing it) and right-click to have it pull a tool out and swap it with another if another is present? Simple interface, easy to use.

• Official Post

Tool boxes could be reworked to work like this :

It automatically stores all your tools inside and auto switches tools depending on your work
    If you are using a non-toolbox tool it will be stored inside your inventory. If inventory is full, it will store it temporarily into the tool box until a slot of inventory is free.
    Breaking stone like block : swap automatically to a drill or a pickaxe.
    Breaking dirt like block : swap to a drill or a shovel.
    Breaking wood like block : swap to chainsaw or an axe.
    Breaking leaves like block : swap to chainsaw or a shears.
    Attacking any entity (mob/player) : swap to an active nano saber, if not available, chainsaw instead or a sword.
    Rightclicking Dirt/grass/mycelium : swap to a hoe.
    Hold M and rightclick into any wrenchable block : swap to a wrench.
    M left click air: swap to a mining laser.
    M right click the toolbox to deactivate autoswap (to the ones who don't like the way it works) , just rightclick it to open its internal inventory (up to 9 tools)

• That's a good Idea, but it would seems strange punching a block with a .. ToolBox ^^ (and everybody know when wearing a Toolbox-like, we're very easy to kill, before placing the building :p)
    --> it this case I suggest Tools non appearing if there's no empty slot in your handbar, so nothing happen, but if you've one, just click with it (so with nothing in your hands and the Toolbox in your handbar, the needed Item will automatically appear in your hand (as SpwnX suggested it). To change, just right click with it on nothing, and it will fill the Toolbox. To emptify (is it the right verb ? ^^) the toolbox, rightclick the ground (as it work now).

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

That's a good Idea, but it would seems strange punching a block with a .. ToolBox ^^ (and everybody know when wearing a Toolbox-like, we're very easy to kill, before placing the building :p)
    --> it this case I suggest Tools non appearing if there's no empty slot in your handbar, so nothing happen, but if you've one, just click with it (so with nothing in your hands and the Toolbox in your handbar, the needed Item will automatically appear in your hand (as SpwnX suggested it). To change, just right click with it on nothing, and it will fill the Toolbox. To emptify (is it the right verb ? ^^) the toolbox, rightclick the ground (as it work now).

My idea is not to hold the toolbox =P, it will be in your hotbar standing there doing its "job", which would be to swap tools depending on your actions.
    Edit : added some ideas to my post above.

• Official Post

I'm quite sure it is (without hooks/basefiles) not possible to detect whether a foreign item X (or bare hands) are currently being punched against stone/dirt/X
    Accordingly, you would always need to use the toolbox to 'click something', though It could then replace itself with a fitting item (putting itself to a different slot).

• Official Post

I'm quite sure it is (without hooks/basefiles) not possible to detect whether a foreign item X (or bare hands) are currently being punched against stone/dirt/X
    Accordingly, you would always need to use the toolbox to 'click something', though It could then replace itself with a fitting item (putting itself to a different slot).

Hmm, how about make toolboxes swap your first hotbar item depending on which block you rightclick with it?
    It would allow easy and fast tool switching (and probably not require basefiles and such).
    As a last resort we could simply have a toolbox that has a small internal inventory [9-18 slots] (like backpacks, bags and such) for all our IC² (and vanilla) tools. I know there are mods that adds backpacks and such, but there are many who doesnt want to install either forestry or EE2/3 right?

• Your concept effectively has the same function on both clicks, whilst only containing one tool inside the toolbox at all. You should work on (the explanation of) that concept.

Suppose Toolbox is in the 2nd slot and has tools A, B, D, E inside.
    You have tool C in slot 1. Right-click swap tool C with D, Left-click - with B.
    If you have tool F in slot 1, Right-click store tool F in Toolbox, Left-click - swap it with E.
    If slot 1 is empty, Right-click give you A, Left-click - E.

Isn't it clear enough yet?

What I got from that was clicking the toolbox to rotate the "active" tool (one slot left of the toolbox) through several others that are somehow in the toolbox -- I don't see how one could insert multiple tools in the first place, either, but if that gets resolved, it might be an interesting implementation.

Cycle while slot is empty and place another tool in it.

...Maybe left-click to have it munch a tool (without replacing it) and right-click to have it pull a tool out and swap it with another if another is present? Simple interface, easy to use.

This means only one side cycle. Not useful.

Tool boxes could be reworked to work like this :

Sorry too much auto. Toolbox to store only. Not to think what you will want.

• Sorry for double post, but ... nobody tell me my idea is bad. So I will try to explain it last time:

1. Description: Think about Toolbox as a chain of tools. Left-click goes in left direction, Right-click - in right direction. If chain ends empty slot is shown. Empty slot allows to add tools to chain. Tool, currently shown can be taken from chain at any time. Or just used as usual.

2. Mechanic on right-click/left-click with Toolbox:
    2.1. Empty Toolbox, Slot empty or not tool: nothing;
    2.2. Empty Toolbox, tool in Slot: store tool in Toolbox;
    2.3. Not empty Toolbox, not a tool in Slot: nothing;
    2.4. Not Empty Toolbox, empty Slot: put in Slot first/last tool from Toolbox;
    2.5. Not empty Toolbox, tool in Slot: lookup for the place for new tool in the stored tools list (stored tools list is always sorted, any sorting criteria you like), then:
    2.5.1. Such tool is stored already: nothing - not allowed to store two Diamond Picks for example;
    2.5.2. Tool should be last in list and right-click or tool should be first in list and left-click: store tool, Slot empty;
    2.5.3. Else: Swap tool with next in list for right-click or previous in list for left-click.

3. Example:
    Empty Toolbox, tool C in Slot: right-click -> C in Toolbox, Slot empty;
    Place tool F in Slot: right-clicks would give us empty slot, then C, then F then empty again. Now in Toolbox "C,F", Slot is empty.
    Left-clicks cycle in reverse: F, then C, then empty slot;
    Let's place tool D to Slot: we can use left-click to swap it with C or right-click to swap it with F;
    With some tools in Toolbox right- and left-clicks would cycle tools from Toolbox with empty slot between first and last.

4. Instructions:
    4.1. To store tool in Toolbox cycle right- or left-clicks until Slot is empty, put your tool, cycle to empty slot again.
    4.2. To use tool from Toolbox cycle right- or left-clicks until needed tool in the Slot, use it.
    4.3. To take some tool from Toolbox cycle right- or left-clicks until needed tool in the Slot, take it.
    4.4. If Slot is not changed while Toolbox used, item is not allowed (not a tool or already in Toolbox).

I do not know what to add if that is not clear enough.

• Oh. Doubly-linked list. I like it. Why the restriction on not having two tools of the same type? Would you consider a restriction of max number of tools instead (e.g. 9)?

• See, the reason I'm asking is I'm vaguely considering writing this as a tiny little addon and I'm curious which way you'd want to go on it.

So here's the tools I seem to end up using regularly: chainsaw (doubles as sword), Builcraft wrench, (occasionally swapped with) IC2 wrench, mining drill, and rarely, crowbar. I might consider adding silk touch and fortune pickaxes if I had the toolbox space, taking me up to 7 items. If linking books count (and they probably will), I might add the following/intra-linking book for getting back home, and possibly a portal gun if I decide to put that on again. That is a large number of useful tools to have all in one inventory space, and the "no two of the same type" limitation would let me add even more on top of that (though it would deny me one of the two pickaxes). Realistically, I need the first two items often enough that I'd probably leave them on hotbar permanently and just cycle the others in slot 3 (with toolbox at 4).

What are your thoughts on the matter?