[Reactor Designs] The GregTech-Thread for Reactor Designs! (Please dont spam me like Rick, with tons of noobish Plans, PLEASE!!!)

• Thorium/Plutonium Hybrid (353 EU/t, Total 353million, Eff 4.93)http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyonder.…l0uge9eqebhmbcw

Hi Guys,

I don't get the clue about the efficency parameter. I always thought that efficiency is showing the mio EU genereted per cell. If I calculated the EU output of this Thorium/Plutonium Reactor by Crsipen right, than it would have an efficiency of 18.1!

Calculation:
    12 thorium cells + 7,5 plutonium cells (3 with 2.5 recharges) = 19 cells per full cycle
    353 mio EU / 19 cells = 18.1 mio EU per cell

Where am I wrong?

• Half right, half wrong. ;)

For starters, you are correct in your assumption that the 4.93 figure posted by the reactor planner is wrong. The planner does not do it right because it doesn't take into account the "hybrid effect" (an unintended feature that lets certain fuel cell combinations output far more than conventionally possible, up to +75%). The correct way to determine efficiency is indeed to divide total EU output by fuel cells inserted. I dubbed it "cell value efficiency". Why bother giving it a name? Because Gregtech 3.x makes things hella complicated with double scaling plutonium, which will probably end up requiring hybrid reactors to post multiple individual efficiency figures by fuel types instead of using the overall "CV efficiency", so it might be useful to be able to tell them apart by name. More info here.

But I digress. You also made an error, namely in the way you calculated cell value. Good job on factoring the 2.5 plutonium cycles per thorium cycle in, that's the thing most commonly overlooked. But not all fuel cells are equal. You need to base your math off of the EU value that each fuel type will generate at efficiency 1 (i.e. single cell, no neighbours). In 1.4.7, for uranium and thorium that value is 1 million, but for plutonium it is 4 million. So for this reactor the calculation would look like this:

Thorium cell value: 3 (slots) x 4 (cells per slot) * 1 (cell per cycle) * 1 million (base value) = 12 million
    Plutonium cell value: 3 (slots) x 1 (cells per slot) * 2.5 (cells per cycle) * 4 million (base value) = 30 million

The reactor has a cell value of 42 million EU.

353 million EU generated / 42 million EU cell value = 8.405 cell value efficiency.

It's not an 18, but it's still a pretty darn good value, considering the normal maximum is 7! Enjoy it while it lasts, Gregtech 3.x fixes the unintended hybrid scaling and nerfs both plutonium and thorium a bit on top of that. See this summary I made, with accompanying spreadsheet. (But keep in mind things can always change further, especially with a mod updating as fast as GregTech.)

• But I digress. You also made an error, namely in the way you calculated cell value. Good job on factoring the 2.5 plutonium cycles per thorium cycle in, that's the thing most commonly overlooked. But not all fuel cells are equal. You need to base your math off of the EU value that each fuel type will generate at efficiency 1 (i.e. single cell, no neighbours). In 1.4.7, for uranium and thorium that value is 1 million, but for plutonium it is 4 million. So for this reactor the calculation would look like this:

Thorium cell value: 3 (slots) x 4 (cells per slot) * 1 (cell per cycle) * 1 million (base value) = 12 million
    Plutonium cell value: 3 (slots) x 1 (cells per slot) * 2.5 (cells per cycle) * 4 million (base value) = 30 million

Hi Omicron,

thanks for the help. Right now I'm hanging on 1.4.7 and had not really recognized, how in detail the nerf on plutonium/thorium would work.

My understanding of efficency is based on EU output per uran dust and therefore I considered more or less 2 ways:

The Natural Way:

16 uranium dust will be centrifuged into 16 uran cells, 4 thorium cells and 1 plutonium cell
    if you consider the best reactorsetup for maximum EU output you would get following values:
    16x uran (à 7 Mio EU) = 112 Mio EU
    4x thorium (à 12 Mio EU) = 48 Mio EU
    1x plutonium (à 30 Mio EU) = 30 Mio EU
    = 190 Mio EU in Total

= 11,875 Mio EU per uran dust

The Enrichement Way:
    1 uranium dust + 8 coaldust = 8 depleated cells
    after breeding you get 8 fresh uranium cells out of the progress (for another 8 coal dust).
    breeding would need one thorium cell per 440 depleted cells and therefore lowers your profit to roughly 6.3 Mio EU per cell

So 1 uran dust would give you 50,4 Mio EU output!

Greetings

• Yeah, breeding is definitely the way to maximize your uranium supplies. While you still play 1.4.7, you ought to take a look at Peppe's "Hybreeder", a efficiency 9.175, 367 EU/t hybrid reactor that can breed fuel for itself and 3-4 others as it goes ;) It's probably the pinnacle of reactor design of the great (if short) era of hybrid reactors.

Full automation possible using GregTech advanced regulators, railcraft and applied energistics autocrafting. Not trivial to pull off though, it's a fun engineering challenge to figure out, but if you do it right you only need to insert uranium, coal dust, copper and tin and the system will take care of everything else for you.

• Saw the 0 chamber breeder and well... just thought i could play a little with it and here's what i ended up with. Twice as fast, twice as much EU/t, not even close to twice as costly :D

• Saw the 0 chamber breeder and well... just thought i could play a little with it and here's what i ended up with. Twice as fast, twice as much EU/t, not even close to twice as costly :D

The question now is, what did you come up with?

• Anyone have any good designs after the new version of GT with the changes to Plutonium and Thorium?

I used to have a real nice 4-chamber "stackable" 0-temp design that put out 367 eu/t, but now it only does 150 eu/t.

Plus my breeder is useless, it'd explode the moment I turned it on if I were using it :D

I just haven't seen much discussion about new designs using the new plutonium and thorium changes.

• You also don't have enough plutonium.

But if you insist, the keyword is "microcycle reactor". You let it run for x seconds, then switch it off, exchange all the condensators, then switch it on again for x seconds, then switch it off again and exchange all the condensators and so on.

Of course, this means you're getting significantly less than the advertised 8560 EU/t, simply because the reactor is regularly switched off. But then again, this reactor design is the equivalent of a Ferrari with a rocket fuel booster bolted onto it. It's completely impractical, probably impossible to build and even if someone built it, it couldn't be driven. Nobody would ever take that idea seriously, and the same is true for this reactor. If you do take it seriously... please do yourself a favor and learn the basics first.

• Design for Gregtech 3.05g. You need a vacuum freezer in addition to the reactor or a lot of resources for the coolant cells. And the automation of it is rather challenging but when using applied energistics, advanced regulators and computercraft it is possible :)

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…dvy7hk3p0c40qfhz8rql7qps0

It produces 630 EU/t while it's running.
    Runtime: 1025 seconds, cooldown time 140 seconds; total time per cycle 1,165 seconds
    Effective EU/t: 554

When using a vacuum freezer, it costs 384,000 EU per coolant cell to cool it again, resulting in 488 EU/t.

• Thorium based Safe breede

This breeder reactor recharges over 400 uranium cells per thorium, will never explode, and does not damage the player. Note: Due to the computer cube not working properly for breeders, this one officially "does not count"

Is there something im doing wrong? I used your breeder design and left the reactor running for a day and a half, and i've only got 220 uranium cells.

• Is there something im doing wrong? I used your breeder design and left the reactor running for a day and a half, and i've only got 220 uranium cells.

What version are you using, and did you let the reactor heat up completely before putting in the heat sinks and isotopes? Thorium and Plutonium have been significantly altered in performance since a number of these designs were proposed, and depending on version you're running thorium may be completely useless (as in 2.90h), or simply most useful as a baseline load material (3.05+).

• So right there on the front page on this thread is a 32 eu/t thorium single chamber reactor. Countless changes have been done to GT since then. I was just curious if anyone has made a redesign of this reactor? It's very handy for my plans.

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker

• Hello smart people!

I recently found/threw together a reactor to burn my thorium on my ftb ultimate server.
    now my problem is the ingame simulator using the gregtech computer cube shows the design running superb. running it however makes weird stuff happening..
    basicly as far as I can tell reading the values of each component in the live reactor the heat seems to spread more to the top than it is in the simulator. its not much but enough to destroy components after a few hours.

anyway here's the design. http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…32hm0v75nruwh1pvid59sv6rk
    tips would be helpful. (also I know the planner is outdated, hence the mention of the in game simulation.)

• Does someone has a good Plutonium or Thorium only design?

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
    Tochter aus Elysium,
    Wir betreten feuertrunken,
    Himmlische, dein Heiligthum!
    Deine Zauber binden wieder
    Was die Mode streng geteilt;
    Alle Menschen werden Brüder,
    Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

• Production = 240 EU/tick
    Cycle length = 20000 sec
    Total EU for 1 cycle = 96'000'000 EU

Fuel = 1 x quad plutonium cell

Efficiency = 60EU/tick per 1 plutonium cell
    or 24'000'000 EU/cycle peer 1 plutonium cell

Ready for automation by load the same type cells

Design:
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…l27zzpyu7y1tcxg5tf42pd0cg

You my use cheap thorium cells instead of iridium reflectors with same result (240+6=246EU/t), but with harder automation:
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…lwf9agab368bl1nbcosh7v7r4

Tested on GregTech 3.07f