[Solved] Properly setting up a server for beginners

• Hi there !

I've been using the old IC years ago, really loved it, but since modloader decided that it hated me once and for all, I kept the original minecraft until now.
    I'd love to set up a server running IC², but I need some light on specific spots.

It's about versions.
    The main issue is : if I want to create an IC² server now, what Minecraft version (both client and server) should I get ready for modding ?
    Second problem is forge. I dont know (or couldnt see it among the huge amout of information available) which version I should get.

What I seem to understand is that I need the minecraft_server.jar v1.2.5, same for the client, and the last available Forge build for these two (which, according to their site, is 3.3.7.135).
    Is that right ? Or maybe the newest Forge build will work anyway ?

What I used to do for now is :

1°) Getting minecraft_server.jar
    2°) Getting Forge
    3°) Opening both archives with WinRar
    4°) Dropping all the Forge archive's contents in the server.jar

And actually stopped here because the server wouldn't start even with only Forge installed. But I guess if it had worked, Forge would have created a "mod" directory (in the server main folder) in which I should put the right IC² jar server file.

I'm not asking any help about installing Forge (though I guess I'm gonna need some anyway ^^ ), but I thought I'd figure which versions of Forge AND minecraft are necessary if I want the most recent IC² server properly running.

I hope all this is clear enough... If you need any more details/rephrasing (since my english is far from perfect), do ask :)

Oh, and I'm running on Windows XP sp3, if that matters.

• Use the latest server/client, and the latest forge.

Forge just gets dropped into the server jar (Use multiMC for the client, it makes things very easy)

after you run both the client and server once they will create 2 folders, a coremods and mods folder
    the latest ic2 release can be gotten from http://141.28.27.36:8080/job/I…lcraft-2_1.112.193-lf.jar

drop that in the mods folder of the client and the server and you should be ready to rock.

• The easiest way is this:
    1. Get a latest Client and Server of Minecraft
    2. Install Forge on Both(Remember not to delete META_INF Folder on the Server(this would cause crashes))
    3. Create a "mods" Folder in the Servers Main Folder AND the Clients Main Folder and insert IC²{version}.jar into BOTH!
    4. run Both server and Client it should be working!

I Recommend using more Mods than just IC² but this is u to You.

Greetz
    Bitterholz

• First thing to note is that IC² is now on MC 1.4.6, and unless you will zip up a copy for MC 1.2.5 (you will end up with a black screen). Secondly, Forge has separated from ModLoader and ModLoaderMP, however mods using those can still be ran on Forge, but Forge mods cannot be ran on ML and MLMP. Using them together will cause crashes.

How to set up client:
    1. Force Update to clear your minecraft.jar
    2. Delete META-INF folder.
    3. Download the latest Forge and drag the contents into the minecraft.jar. Do not delete the META-INF that comes with Forge.
    4. Install Optifine by dragging its contents into the minecraft.jar (optional, but recommended)
    5. Launch Minecraft
    6. Close Minecraft
    7. Install IC² by dragging its jar file to the mods folder.
    8. ???
    9. Profit

How to set up LAN server
    1. Finish setting up client
    2. Launch Minecraft
    3. In the world you want your LAN server to be in, open options and click Publish to LAN and select the necessary options.
    4. ???
    5. Profit

How to set up dedicated server
    1. Place the minecraft_server.jar in your Server Folder
    2. Place Forge in the Server Folder. (DO NOT DRAG IT INTO YOUR SERVER JAR)
    3. Run Forge. This will be how you run your server.
    4. Close your server
    4. Drag IC²'s jar file to the mods folder.
    5. ???
    6. Profit

• I'm just going to clarify on Forge/IC2.
    IC2 now runs ONLY on Forge. ONLY install Forge, NOT Modloader or MLMP!
    You can download Forge at http://files.minecraftforge.net. Get the universal one (works on client and server), NOT javadoc/src!
    IC2 is now on 1.4.6 (Beta version 1.112), the stable release is on 1.4.5 (1.111). Dunno where you got 1.2.5 from.

EDIT:
    If you really want 1.2.5 (which it looks like you are), then I don't know. I highly suggest you upgrade to 1.112 though.

• Wow !

I wasn't expacting so many (and so kind!) answers :love: Greatest thanks to you all !
    I do not particularly use 1.2.5, but I read somewhere that it was the latest IC² server build available. Internet is full of people talking crap, so I thought I'd better ask qualified people about it (E.G. you all ^^ )

I'll try this out right now, and let you know.

[Edit]

Ok, so, I diligently followed the steps detailed by Epic Lulz, and here's what I got.

• DrBlocks:
    Get your server jar at minecraft.net/download as Wliu has said.

And you should use 1.4.7 if you are a bow & arrow person, it fixes a bug with arrows and is compatible with 1.4.6.

• Ok, so after a BSOD and some faily testing, it finally works in dedicated server too.

My most sincere thanks to all of you, I'll be able to make some clear tutorials for non-english speaking french players.

Thank you again !

• I do not particularly use 1.2.5, but I read somewhere that it was the latest IC² server build available.

This is technically (and only technically) correct -- starting with Minecraft 1.3.2, Forge made it possible to unify the client and server packages of given mods into a single "universal" package. You will be undoubtedly pleased to know the person making the quoted claim was not entirely talking out of their ass, but were just being a smart-ass instead.

• Ok, so after a BSOD and some faily testing, it finally works in dedicated server too.

My most sincere thanks to all of you, I'll be able to make some clear tutorials for non-english speaking french players.

Thank you again !

Good to know :D

• Some server hosting software doesn't play nice with this feature, and you still have to combine them (and for whatever reason, some archive software likes to miss files when merging the two, even when it works fine for merging the single player ones).

• Last question and I'll be closing this thread : Can a server be ran with both forge AND bukkit ? Reason is, I'd love to add some more mods but can't find any proper "non-bukkit" ones.

• There's forgebukkit, though I've never used it.

Though I understand that project has been abandoned, so future updates wouldn't be an option.

• I decided to use FeedTheBeast as an alternative, since it has IC² and many other interesting mods and allows non-involved people to easlily mod their client.
    But I'll try ForgeBukkit anyway !

Thanks for all your answers once again, applied [Solved] tag. See ya ! :thumbup: