Re-visiting the airship Idea

• A while back I suggested it would be cool for there to be Airships in IC2 and got the understandable feedback from the developers that it was just too buggy do to the entity conversion for airships, but I came up with an idea when thinking about a mod I want to develop.

What if you could create "sub-world" entities, essentially a secondary word zone within the world that can have block placed in it and when the sub-world moves it moves the items within. This eliminates the need for making a ship an entity and will allow items to still be accessible/usable while in motion.

I understand that this would be large focus and a lot of work, so I wouldn't expect anything soon (or even within the next year), but its a unique concept. I'll be looking into myself when I have the time and I'll post here code that i find.

But just an idea, thanks for listening.

• You mean like RedPower Frames?

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• I think he meant something more closely to the "zeppelin mod"..a bit more "mobile/versatile" than rp2 frames. Personally, i will start throwing money at you if you manage to get something like that for SMP. (and less crashy than the zeppelin mod)

You can quote me on that^^ ..i will start throwing money! :D

• havent looked at RP2's code

Don't do that. Elo would kill you, because you WON'T DECOMPILE HER FREAKKIN CODE! ^^. Also, remaking the Zeppelin mod could be a good Idea, but if would also needs to be really usefull ^^ (more than just a way to move [Because a lot of CHEATERS users are playing with Mystcraft, Portal Gun and other Easy-teleportation mods).

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Thanks for the feed back,

I think he meant something more closely to the "zeppelin mod"..a bit more "mobile/versatile" than rp2 frames. Personally, i will start throwing money at you if you manage to get something like that for SMP. (and less crashy than the zeppelin mod)

You can quote me on that ..i will start throwing money

If I could make money on it, that would be nice XD

havent looked at RP2's code
    Don't do that. Elo would kill you, because you WON'T DECOMPILE HER FREAKKIN CODE! . Also, remaking the Zeppelin mod could be a good Idea, but if would also needs to be really usefull (more than just a way to move [Because a lot of CHEATERS users are playing with Mystcraft, Portal Gun and other Easy-teleportation mods).

Noted XD

More useful? If it works, the mod I was talking about would allow clockwork towers and world gens (like the steam game spiral knights). Locking sub-worlds to x and y axis will allow machines like boring machines to move along only the z (or any other combination of axis like that). Maxing or minimizing world height or dictating blocks travel-able through, you can make it so airships cant go under water or sub to fly and even lava ship. You could make castle doors and gates that you will move with while operating. But the main thing would be that other blocks can operate while in transit, like your IC2 machines will still be running while flying around rather than having to stop to process materials (i.e. a mobile base).

nothing special with RP2 code, it merely save TE objects just like they saved on chunkunloading and then load on new location, you can implement this method without issues youself.

Ah, okay, thats not what I was thinking.

Thank everyone for the feedback, this gives me a good basis on where I would start my self

• Btw do you have it as something like an IC2 addon in mind (since it's posted here =P ) or as a stand-alone mod? ...It'd be amazing to have a ship that uses some sort of fuel/electricity (IC2 Eu and/or buildcraft oil?) to fly. I've been waiting for something like that and just thinking about it gets me all excited XD ..i want to build my nuclear powered flying base(-ship) :D

• Btw do you have it as something like an IC2 addon in mind (since it's posted here =P ) or as a stand-alone mod? ...It'd be amazing to have a ship that uses some sort of fuel/electricity (IC2 Eu and/or buildcraft oil?) to fly. I've been waiting for something like that and just thinking about it gets me all excited XD ..i want to build my nuclear powered flying base(-ship) :D

Actually, my original thread here was asking for the developers to design it cause I was thinking the IC2 power sys would be perfect. So in short, Yes, the air ship portion will be a IC Addon.

The independent mod I'll make afterword will be Clockwork Craft which, will be a little more difficult to say the least but, will include buildable clockwork towers and have the world gen. After that I'll move on to other things with it.

BTW, can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions on what the methods are in Vanilla and forge? I cant read and code, but i dont know what the methods do or what the variables stand for. Im a poor researcher hate to say. Edit: found some basic stuff, but nothing in depth in terms of explanation of the variables

• nothing special with RP2 code, it merely save TE objects just like they saved on chunkunloading and then load on new location, you can implement this method without issues youself.

Yes, that's how I did teleporting in Beam Me Up!, which is even open-source, so anyone's welcome to steal those bits of code. Turned out to not be all that complicated, and works every time (near as I and other testers can tell).

• Yes, that's how I did teleporting in Beam Me Up!, which is even open-source, so anyone's welcome to steal those bits of code. Turned out to not be all that complicated, and works every time (near as I and other testers can tell).

Cool, but as I said above, its not really good for consistently moving objects. Anyone know how Flowerchild of BTW did his lifts? The movement is flawless, though I worry he would throw a hissy fit if anyone shared that. I got banned from his forum for asking to help code for compatability so he can continue to make the mod he loves without worrying about it himself... I have so many bad words I wish to call him

Anyways, I have a lot of reading through the source files to begin making the Airship mod to know what all the variables do, unless someone has a list of variables and methods descriptions i can look at

• Agreed, I was just adding to the semi-off-topic comment above.

Have you tried looking through the Forge javadoc? It includes the Minecraft classes, and occasionally has useful comments left in. Other than that, reading other people's code helped me a lot when learning modding. You're going in a direction I don't think anyone's explored, though.

• This + greg tech + industrium conflict lazer turrets = Star Treck/wars

Seriously I cant wait to show up in a imperial destroyer while singing along the empire song. DA da da dum da da da da da dum! DIE YOU REBELS!

Tough lag could be a issue... but for someone with a 500€ customized pc with 8 GB of ram and 3.1 Ghz of processor it would be a minor issue :D

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• Agreed, I was just adding to the semi-off-topic comment above.

Have you tried looking through the Forge javadoc? It includes the Minecraft classes, and occasionally has useful comments left in. Other than that, reading other people's code helped me a lot when learning modding. You're going in a direction I don't think anyone's explored, though.

It is something no one has tried (other wise I dont think I'd have to do it lol) but I have a good basis for how it needs to work, I just dont understand the inter workings of minecraft yet to make it happen. Hence the month of research unless I can find a piece of code that can smoothly move objects through the world like the BTW lift (again, damn Flowerchild) among a couple other things.

Edit: Forge has hooks to minecraft's world gen right? hmm, that might not be what I need though...

Edit: I think I need a mentor to help me through this XD. I need help from someone who knows the tricks of the trade so to say

• Forge has hooks to minecraft's world gen right? hmm, that might not be what I need though...

It's pretty easy to generate ores (or any block for that matter) in the world using Forge, I've done it on several occasions, and I haven't done much modding.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Actually, I think I found someone thats done it before, even using the term subworlds. In process on gaining contact now. Hopefully this will advance progress quickly.

It's pretty easy to generate ores (or any block for that matter) in the world using Forge, I've done it on several occasions, and I haven't done much modding.

More than creating ores, and more of identification of locations, but if the contact helps, I'll have all the knowledge to do this within the next two weeks hopefully

Given School doesnt take too much time*

• ok, time for a modder to make some comments:
    one, this is way too complex for you to start off on as your first mod, you'll need to get pretty familiar with the code to do something like this
    two, from a brief review of you first post, it sounds like you think it would work to have "sub-worlds" that move independantly of the main one, if that what you are thinking, I'll tell you now that's not feasible
    three, I know how flowerchild/eloram/etc. do their smooth movement, and, as I said before, it's not the kind of thing a beginner would understand
    four, the reason it is so hard, is that MC code is not designed for any sort of moving blocks, so you literally have to break the code to do it

so, in short, if you find a good mentor and work hard at it, you might be at the stage to start working toward your idea in about a year or so
    (not trying to sound hopeless)

I don't mind pointing you in the right direction and setting you on your feet, my skype is the same as my username, so gimme a shout if your interested
    (btw your not a hopeless researcher, the reason you can't find anything on the subject is that the only people who would know enough coding to understand the tutorial would be able to figure it out themselves, so no tutorial has ever been written)

• one, this is way too complex for you to start off on as your first mod, you'll need to get pretty familiar with the code to do something like this

Would agree, but with the youtube vids I've found, the basics are covered and I can do the rest on my own I believe. I'm not new to programming, just modding because I dont know what the variables are/do.

two, from a brief review of you first post, it sounds like you think it would work to have "sub-worlds" that move independantly of the main one, if that what you are thinking, I'll tell you now that's not feasible

It actually is, another mod has done it

three, I know how flowerchild/eloram/etc. do their smooth movement, and, as I said before, it's not the kind of thing a beginner would understand

Beginner to Modding... not programing. And I can prove it too, send me the code and I'll write you a paper on how it does it.

four, the reason it is so hard, is that MC code is not designed for any sort of moving blocks, so you literally have to break the code to do it

Then the mod exampled on number two has, and has done it well

The computer environment is expansive. Nothing is impossible, just undiscovered.

the lay-mans description of this would be to have an area with its own xyz axis of which blocks placed within are linked with the areas axis, therefore when the area moves so do the block but the blocks are not change to entities. Actually, this gives me and idea for a Timecraft mod that has a theoretical t axis, but until quantum computer storage is made it would only be able to save points in time rather than being able to track continuously, but i digress.

I've been working on the ground work for how it would work in minecraft for sometime, I just dont have the knowledge of variable and methods within minecraft to do it.

But thank you for the feedback. I'll consider number one should I get suck on the more advanced stuff, but hopefully I'll have help in a couple days.

Edit: Cool IC2 addons too. will probably get some once it updates

• by beginner I didn't mean programming beginner (I figured you had probably coded before), I meant a MC modding beginner
    to do what you want in a way that wouldn't be horribly laggy or have other issues, you will have to have to know your way arround MC code well

• by beginner I didn't mean programming beginner (I figured you had probably coded before), I meant a MC modding beginner
    to do what you want in a way that wouldn't be horribly laggy or have other issues, you will have to have to know your way arround MC code well

Of course, and the only thing that is slowing me down ATM