[Official] New Reactors design thread.

• That's pretty sweet. The row of 4 chamber reactors will look awesome too.

The reports on gregtech changes are pretty awful :/

Check what pure plutonium and pure thorium reactors put out?

The uranium cost is interesting, btu there are going to be far far cheaper ways to cool it.

• Quote from Requia

The uranium cost is interesting, btu there are going to be far far cheaper ways to cool it.

I need to check out what I can work on, this one is expensive to set up, but the uranium effiency is good.

• That's pretty sweet. The row of 4 chamber reactors will look awesome too.

The reports on gregtech changes are pretty awful :/

Check what pure plutonium and pure thorium reactors put out?

Reactor tower and row.

Automated with routers and AE storage network.
    http://imgur.com/a/4HrDc

Not a bad way to do it with so many reactors.

Simulating just plutonium and just thorium. Plutonium EU is buffed. 4 single cells in a square is 200 EU instead of 120. Can't really tell what the heat is, but it is higher. A 3x2 of arrangement of plutonium blows up the cooling arrangement for the 484 EU/t reactor. Operates at 340 EU/t instead of 200 EU/t in current version.

Thorium is either bugged or nerfed badly. Quad 3x2 which is 128 EU/t in the current version is 86 EU/t in 1.5.1. Using it in hybrid designs provides little benefit to the main fuel. In 1.4.7 thorium acts as a cheap reflector to amplify what the plutonium outputs. Now it is not even worth the space. You need a 3x3 grid of quad cells to get 130 EU/t. A reflector around plutonium adds more EU/t than a quad thorium cell.

• I think the plutonium might be usable, but with thorium useless as hell I don't know that 5 uranium for 1 plutonium is a viable trade.

• Hmm, the 2x2 is efficiency 4 by my reckoning. Not much compared to the current crop, but there will be advancements, and we've already got competition with vanilla. Greg also said he'll drop the multicellular uranium to cheap copper plates, lava centrifuging EU cost will even be a little cheaper than vanilla uum copper cost.

• I'm honestly disappointed. I really liked the whole hybrid concept, from the strangely appealing mechanic itself over the fun engineering challenges associated down to the fact that it finally made nuclear reactors worth their price and their danger. The designs that you guys came up with were downright works of art, and it's a crying shame that we now have to go back to boring, generic blocks of single cell types, at less than half the efficiency and output per tick than before... and in return we get to save a handful of copper bars a day. Woo, exciting... not :(

I was looking forward so very, very much to build a legit hybrid reactor in my upcoming 1.5 world. Now I feel like a child whose candy has been stolen. I'm not sure whether I'll go into the IC2 config to bump up reactor output and build a vanilla reactor that will be boring but at least worth its resource cost, or if I'll just do what I always do and produce my EU from a mixture of steam turbines, solars and methane side products... I mean hey, turbines just got buffed again lately.

• I did have an idea concerning the fall of the hybrid reactors...

Setting up one Plutonium reactor, and a number of Thorium reactors, so the whole setup is 'Thorium Neutral'. So a whole battery of reactors, which are likely smaller and so more easily stackable. I may have to fiddle with design specs.

• Since thorium makes about a third the power it used to (including having its duration halved) I'm not sure how well that works.

• Ok, Mark I plutonium and thorium systems may or may not be dead, but CRCS systems are still very much alive.

If I'm right, this should have 3-4 minute microcycle and produce something like 1400-1600 EU/t with new gregtech:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…fx3oswwjae4iwkhp2wopl60ao

Though I don't think anybody has managed to make CRCS setups without redpower yet (and God knows when that'll be in 1.5), AE is supposed to be getting a fuzzy filter system that should do the job.

• Ok, pretty sure at this point its a 190 second microcycle and 1600 EU/t I really need to get around to getting a 1.5 instance setup to test these things.

• The iridium neutron reflectors are mind-numbingly expensive in legit play, though... unless you're into abusing villager spawning mechanics.

(and even then they're stil lextremely expensive.)

• Ok, pretty sure at this point its a 190 second microcycle and 1600 EU/t I really need to get around to getting a 1.5 instance setup to test these things.

Here is that reactor simmed out in computer cube:

AE should be able to automated that, but probably have to fill in the empty spaces.

• Yea, Applied Energistics is really looking like an attractive option. I'm just starting to play around with the mod myself, but if it can do what I think it can do, it could really make things a LOT easier.

And heck, it could theoretically do the combines with the re-enriched cells for you to fully automate a high-output breeder.

I haven't had a chance to test it out yet with 1.4.7, much less 1.5, but I think AE is going to make a lot of logistics problems much easier.

If nothing else, it can be used to automate a CRCS system instead of using RP2. The only thing that I'd be concerned with is how it handles damage values. If it works like RP2 and just flags damaged/undamaged, it should be simple. If it works on precise values... well... that could be a way to regulate micro-cycles precisely far easier than just using timing.

Real Life has been bludgeoning me over the head with Murphy's Law, which has made it more difficult for me to get more familiarized with the actual capabilities AE has. However, the mod itself has... potential.

• There's a ton of precise damage value options, the problem is if the cell misses that precise damage value it *never* gets removed, and overheats instead. The other option would be routers, I understabd those can remove from specific slots, but I've never messed with factorization, i don't know how well that would work. (IE, would you need a separate router for every cooling cell, how well does EU convert to factorization power (I hear routers are to be changed to require power).

• There's a ton of precise damage value options, the problem is if the cell misses that precise damage value it *never* gets removed, and overheats instead.

Why not using RP/GT timers ? Reactors are predictible, you know ?

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!