breeder reactor

• hi all

apologies if this reactor has been shown already, I can't really check due to my computer hating the reactor planner (online or standalone) so I cannot check all the lovely designs people have made.

the original aim of this reactor was to minimise the uranium usage while breeding up depleted cells. Mostly ignoring the time it takes. Although at the current temperatures I am running this it is also pretty quick.

Anyways, here it is. It runs at between 39200 heat to 45000 heat to give quite the insane speed at recharging. around 15 or so I think. I make use of the positive heat balance to heat it up and then have a couple of thermal monitors set at the above heat levels to turn it off when it gets to 45k and back on at 39200, using a rp2 toggle latch.

Yes, you could run it at a higher heat level if you put in more heat plating taking out some of the vents, however it would reduce the time the reactor could stay on, so I chose roughly half the heat level to slow down heat up to keep the reactor running longer. (ignore the standard heat vents, I've forgotten to upgrade them to reactor heat vents)

I was thinking of putting in a 3rd thermal monitor to turn it off when it has finished (i.e when below 35k heat for example, only happening when the cells have been charged) but for some reason it turns off on its own already. (edit: perhaps it doesn't. in the last cycle it didn't turn off)

edit: ok. items for those not familiar with the sphax textures. two uranium cells. each one surrounded by 4 depleted isotope cells. there are (should be) 13 reactor heat vents for partial cooling. (around half of total). the copper plates on the right are heat-capacity reactor heat plating giving 1700 extra hull capacity each. Total hull capacity is 67000 heat. with 70% of that (poison damage) being 46900 it is set just below that. I am not guessing too much for numbers I haven't been able to use the reactor planner for a long time. I am pretty sure it produces 128 heat per pulse.

for those that cannot be bothered reading.

Hell, prove me wrong, Happy to be so 99% of the time, then I can learn stuff :)

Edited 5 times, last by Zudguard ().

• You should use the reactor planner. It'll spit out numbers so we don't have to guess if your reactor is better/worse/more expensive than existing designs. Especially with the texture pack, I have no idea what some of those components are.

Also, F2 for screenshots.

• Official Post

You should use the reactor planner. It'll spit out numbers so we don't have to guess if your reactor is better/worse/more expensive than existing designs. Especially with the texture pack, I have no idea what some of those components are.

Also, F2 for screenshots.

I'm pretty sure he said he computer couldn't use the reactor planner, and the texture pack is Sphax BTW.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• lol, I have been playing minecraft all day so far. Java has never played well with me. not sure why minecraft works and the planner doesn't, but that is how it is.

• What pack are you using? If you have GregTech installed, a GregeTech computer has a built-in reactor planner within the game. It actually simulates a reactor when it produces your numbers, which makes it slightly more accurate than the standalone planner.

• yes, i have used gregtech in the past. this pack is the FTB Direwolf version without gregtech.

• You should be using heating cells to maintain heat. While reactor vents are a good tool for getting precise amounts of cooling, that many is highly inefficient.