IC2 Phoning Home...?

• Using Greg's method of turning off my internet after logging in, with IC2 still installed, it shaved about 10 seconds off my FML startup time. That means that it takes 10 seconds for it to grab a file, that is used to give people capes.

Come to think of it... That was a simpler solution, but it is not only a cape list, it is also intended as a difficult to dodge blacklist as well.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Come to think of it... That was a simpler solution, but it is not only a cape list, it is also intended as a difficult to dodge blacklist as well.

Yup, because if the mod can't authenticate itself, then there is no way to keep it out of the hands of the undesirables...

(it's a bad expression, but it was better than having useless argument over the term 'stolen')...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Come to think of it... That was a simpler solution, but it is not only a cape list, it is also intended as a difficult to dodge blacklist as well.

Difficult to dodge blacklist my ass. The Technic Platform has an option to force users to install a modpack to a different directory when it's downloaded. Every single one of those packs that are blacklisted employ this method of getting around the blacklist. This isn't about the blacklist. This is about IC2 grabbing files off the internet that could be easily hardcoded into the mod, or be given a config option to turn off.

The Technic Platform has an opinion to force

Which I don't think you quite understand that this is something many do not wish to be a part of...

Hence the blacklist
    Hence the flamewar
    Hence the reason (well, some of) behind this policy...

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

• Difficult to dodge blacklist my ass. The Technic Platform has an option to force users to install a modpack to a different directory when it's downloaded. Every single one of those packs that are blacklisted employ this method of getting around the blacklist. This isn't about the blacklist. This is about IC2 grabbing files off the internet that could be easily hardcoded into the mod, or be given a config option to turn off.

Okay yeah, that was poor wording on my part, although you have to admit it would be effective if the Technic team hadn't so kindly introduced that ability into Platform.

As far as I know, the capes were made by RichardG. RichardG, also made the Blacklist. But RichardG did not made <Usefull Feature>.

Actually I think he might have, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…L-CDZI&feature=youtu.be&a I believe his icon comes in at about 2:37 so he has been working on it for over a year.

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Removed

Post RichardG censorship: Good work censoring my posts RichardG. You know who else censors people who say incriminating things about them? Dictators. Obviously you don't want people seeing that chat log for some reason, or the contents of the cape list file, which leads me to believe that you're trying to hide something very naughty, possibly even illegal. You disgust me.

Edited 2 times, last by GreenWolf13: Commenting on RichardG's blatant censorship ().

• Removed[/url]

OH NOES! THEY HAVE MY USERNAME! WHAT EVER SHALL I DO!!!12131!#!!%!!%%$!$!%1

Edited 2 times, last by RichardG ().

• Assuming that log is real, I feel like I should probably care, however having never used technic, I sort of don't, but watch out guys IC2 could have your username!

EDIT: Isn't that log pretty old? If I'm not mistaken 4/11/2012 would seem to indicate either it's almost a year old or at least 4 months, anything RichardG would have done with regards to *gasp* username obtaining would have already either been done or not done.

Edited once, last by RichardG ().

• @MagusUnion- I have no idea what version Tekkit\Technic\whatever is at because I pay it no mind. Never used it, never had a reason to use it. Point is that there was a needless backdoor quietly slipped in, and the mindset of the developer does not seem to be a healthy one as evidenced by that chat log GreenWolf dug up. Until I saw that malicious intent from an IC2 dev was the least of my concerns. If you read back through my early comments you'd see that my concern was more about a compromised host.

Not reading or not thinking... not stopping to consider all the factors... something... Maybe just not reading between the lines?

How many servers do you think the people on that list actually play on? How many 'other players' do you realistically think are going to see the capes? Its not like this is WoW where there are 5,000 players on a server. As far as the security aspects... see the above part @Magus.

At least Mojang asked the community and included the option to disable their Snooper.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Edited once, last by RichardG ().

and the mindset of the developer does not seem to be a healthy one

So, you're accusing RichardG of being mentally unstable, and using that to justify your logic...

• By implementing this feature without notification to the end-user RichardG is already collecting user information illegally.

The Quote at the bottom of the page reads...

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Do something.

...I'm trying.

/add: MagusUnion... you do realize that usage of an overused meme typically weakens any attached commentary, right?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• By implementing this feature without notification to the end-user RichardG is already collecting user information illegally.

Except that that log is 11 months old, and, according to F4113nb34st, was never acted upon.

you do realize that usage of an overused meme typically weakens any attached commentary, right?

Which you're assuming that I have something to prove...
    I actually don't. YOU on the other hand...

By the way: Unless you court-order them to stop (if that's even possible), this is still a pretty mute point. They don't have to change the code at all, and have NO obligation to do so. All you will likely do is create a witch-hunt against IC2 over the issue. Which, btw, will easily backfire. Why?

- Direwolf20's following
    - Feed the Beast
    - the alternatives are not up-to-par

You are arguing about seconds, capes, and easy access information. NO ONE who respects IC2's distribution policy (which is simple as piss) has to worry about anything coming out of IC2, period. This code exists because Technic/other unauthorized distribution modpacks still exists. And until Mojang creates a full-fledged mod API/policy (that's damn stronger than the one in place) more of this code will likely be in the future...

• I haven't bothered to read this bag of flaming.

My response: That download, unlike most ones that mods do, is threaded.

Re: uploading usernames: the code does not do that. I had a talk with ForgeCraft folks and even Alblaka himself, who told me not to upload usernames, so I didn't. That paste comes from the pre-planning stage, and I don't know why is it still spreading around.

Re: Platform: The Platform doesn't require modpacks to follow their mods' redistribution policies, and even so, Alblaka himself (again) told me that platform packs should be liable for permissions, just like FTB private packs.

PS: I just updated the beta, which should have a better message as suggested by Alblaka. I can't do further refinements because the codebase is already in 1.5.

PS: I just updated the beta, which should have a better message as suggested by Alblaka. I can't do further refinements because the codebase is already in 1.5

Does that mean that the IC2 API is up-to-date for 1.5, or will we have to wait on that still?

• WTF RichardG? Are you ashamed or something? Are you afraid of your own words? Pre-planning or not, 6 months ago or not... it's still the direction that you were headed and the direction that it took other people to steer you away from. The fact that you run from your own words and actions shows shame. It's the direction that YOU wanted to take and it shows your intent.

Honestly wish I hadn't ever said anything. In the beginning it was just a small issue that got blown out of proportion by over-defensive fanboys. Now it feel like I opened a closet and got buried under a pile of skeletons. For me this all started because I was on the bug tracker and saw a bug report about a server that undeservedly found itself on the blacklist. Over-defensive of the devs and overzealous in their dislike for all things tekkit they harassed the OP for 2... 3? pages before anything happened.

Anyway... seeing that IC2 had a blacklist, I was like 'What's it take to end up on that? Did IC2's mod pack requirements change?' Nope not really... But while looking round I saw some theoretical weaknesses had been introduced with no notification... Really... just a small gripe. Made a quick comment about it's lameness and out come the wolves that can't stand the idea that someone would have the audacity to question the Great and All-Powerful Mod Developer.

Long story short... defend my views, come to find out that my doomsday theories are a bit closer to reality than I initially realized...

If unauthorized mod pack usage is really that grave of a concern then you're going to have to be more creative and have more conviction than has been shown. Tekkit users had their worlds exploded by unauthorized usage and barely cared, what difference is a 3 second line of nag text in an otherwise fully functional package really going to accomplish?

/add: apologies for my strong tone. I just feel that censorship and indignation are poor responses when you have been caught with your hand in the cookie jar.

For me this all started because I was on the bug tracker and saw a bug report about a server that undeservedly found itself on the blacklist.

Name the server, and any launchers used it its creation

If unauthorized mod pack usage is really that grave of a concern then you're going to have to be more creative and have more conviction than has been shown. Tekkit users had their worlds exploded by unauthorized usage and barely cared, what difference is a 3 second line of nag text in an otherwise fully functional package really going to accomplish?

You do realize that the next step would be selective save world destruction, should it boil down to that point again, correct?

Edited 2 times, last by MagusUnion ().