IC2 Phoning Home...?

• Pretty lame that RichardG has taken it upon himself to add code into IC2 that is mostly there just to add vanity capes to a select few people.

I mean... I get the reason for implementing a black-list but considering the timing... I mean the Tekkit-wars were so totally a year ago and I thought we'd be over that by now.

The idea that every client has to ping a server to get a text file just to see if the player gets a special cape is pretty weak.

A mod checking itself for updates is one thing- it has a practical advantage for a majority of players. Checking to see if a player gets a special cape is something else entirely- mostly vanity and ego-stroking.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• The IC2 devs have done amazing jobs. In my opinion they kinda deserve to be rewarded in at least some point.

You can never have enough Medli IC2.

• I didn't even know this happened, I am ok with this as it's invisible and doesn't effect me in any way.

Why does this bother you so much?

• It matters to some people that have terrible internet, and instead of waiting for an update check they can disable, they MUST wait through a cape check.

• Why does this bother you so much?

Because it's a trend that I've been noticing more and more in the mod community and with a background in network security it worries me, especially when used trivially.

By nature I am against the idea of software 'phoning home' unless there is a VERY good reason given that a compromised source is Lesson3 in the Hacker Handbook. As I stated in my OP... it's a fact that I'll accept begrudgingly under the proper circumstances, but when it is primarily used, as I said earlier, so that a select few (<~10?) can feel special... I feel this makes ALL users a tad less safe. Everything about Minecraft is built on Java, an inherently flawed platform from a security standpoint and considering that even the Java 'experts' get surprised by crippling exploits, I don't think it's unfair to keep a close eye on modders that are still learning.

And as you said... you didn't even know this change had been slipped in. Something like this should require notification at the very least. For an example in context... the way Mojang introduced their 'Snooper' function.

/edit: And building on what Wliu mentioned... have you noticed how long it takes FML to fully initialize? It's checks like these that cumulatively add to that because during that process it has to wait for the remote server to respond with the file before it can continue on to the following stages. ...Death by a thousand paper-cuts?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Edited once, last by Saul_Goode ().

• Wliu: do you have any idea how easy it is to get a text file off the internet? unless the average webpage takes an hour to load with your internet, you probably won't even notice it
    Saul_Goode: perhaps you don't realize that what you are saying is rediculous? if the ic2 devs wanted to hack people's computers, there would be hundreds of ways that are much simpler and don't even require internet
    and if it is the website it is getting the text file from that you are worried about, how do you think that minecraft checks your account password?! if you still feel that it is a problem, please feel free to not use the mod
    personally, I think that we're all lucky that the ic2 dev team makes this mod for us without charging us to use it, so if they want to do something that makes them look cooler, I'm all for it

• 1. My internet has, at times, dropped down to 1kbps (though extremely rarely, usually I get 54MBps). Say that text file is 10kb. That's 10 seconds needed to get that file, at least.
    2. Java is an EXTREMELY easy-to-hack coding system. People still on 1.7.0_11 (or something like that) or lower can be hacked if they're playing MC.
    3. I'm sure that Minecraft uses an authentication system to check passwords, unlike IC2.

• Though it could be possible that RichardG wants to take over the world...

• Official Post

The idea that every client has to ping a server to get a text file just to see if the player gets a special cape is pretty weak.

Note that GregTech did add Capes before RichardG did. But I added the online Variant of mine after him, as I had (and still have) a hardcoded List back then. Now I have an Online List running since a while, and I even provided a Config to turn any Online-Checks off, as Internet sometimes lags terribly when connecting to Dropbox or similar Sites (especially for chinese people as I found out). Some Sites are indeed so terrible, that Minecraft freezes for me at the MOJANG Screen, so that I have to disconnect from the Internet while loading Minecraft, not because my Internet is crappy (It's in fact faster than most Download-Servers), but because some of these Servers are not responding, and Minecraft just waits it out forever and ever and ever and ever and so on.

Though it could be possible that RichardG wants to take over the world...

He will fail at my Space Station, so you don't need to worry about that. I would more worry about me having a Space Station.

2. Java is an EXTREMELY easy-to-hack coding system. People still on 1.7.0_11 (or something like that) or lower can be hacked if they're playing MC.

But you can only hack MC-related things (Username and Passwords too), not other personal things.

It matters to some people that have terrible internet, and instead of waiting for an update check they can disable, they MUST wait through a cape check.

As I said, its not your Internet which makes it slow. It's the Internet of these partially crappy Servers some Devs chose for their Lists. I think SirSengirs checks for a Changelog are terrible at my own location (for example) as it began to refuse to start, when Forestry was updated. But I shouldnt be the one talking, as my Dropbox based List is terrible in China (but configurable).

• Ehh I don't see what's really the problem here, does any mod need capes? Probably not, but if you have the skill to implement them I really see no problem with including them in your mod. Could the list have been hardcoded into IC2? Yeah, pretty easily in fact, and it does sort of make sense to do so, but has anyone here actually experienced start-up lag from IC2 that they can attribute to a text file being retrieved?

Also,

Note that GregTech did add Capes before RichardG did

are you sure about that? I swear I remember seeing Direwolf20 have the tester cape in one of his let's play series before GregTech was even out.

EDIT:

Though it could be possible that RichardG wants to take over the world...

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Official Post

Also,

are you sure about that? I swear I remember seeing Direwolf20 have the tester cape in one of his let's play series before GregTech was even out.

Yes I am. I gave DW20 a Cape before the IC²-Capes were out, but then after a long while, DW got an IC²-Cape (which would always conflict, as I depend on IC²), so I removed it. However, Direwolf had GregTech not installed during the SMP-Season, so it wasnt possible to see it in any of his Videos.

Edit: Btw, the Cape was just because of that "Y DOES TAHG HAVE A CAPE"-Gag.

• Edit: Btw, the Cape was just because of that "Y DOES TAHG HAVE A CAPE"-Gag.

Is that literally the only reason why you implemented capes?

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• If you do online version checking/grabbing text files off the internet in the main thread, and don't provide a way to turn it off, you need to go die. That is my opinion as a developer and as a gamer with a crappy internet connection.

• I think this arguement isnt just for IC2, Optifine has this feture, Gregtech, I think there is somthing in the FTB launcher to do this. at the end of the day, it's just a cape, a reward for the devs, donators, testers for all there hard work (and donation...)

• just loic cape host constantly, after some time hoster will disable it, repeat as many times as needed.
    Adding game content for specific users is childish, especially if it harm everyone else, grow your epeen somewhere else.

if you still want it, no problem, make it optional and disable by default, everyone who want it will enable and enjoy (basically only owners of hats)

second this:

you need to go die

• Why stop at Low Orbit Ion Cannon? I'm pretty sure I have a copy of the source for High Orbit Ion Cannon lying around somewhere.

Quote from SirusKing

MULTIBLOCK NUKES 8o