[Addon Request/Suggestion]: Gregtech Tools Add-On

• I've recently become fond of tools which use durability rather then energy, and find the mechanic more balanced then the way that IC2 handles electric tools, as cool a mechanic they are.
    And I keep thinking about how cool it would be if durability tools were made more useful in comparison, and this is what I came up with;

(Also, to anyone willing to make this add-on, I can supply textures as needed)

First off, the add-on would (Obviously) add additional tools, using the new Gregtech materials, Tiered as such;

Invar Tools:
    A simple upgrade of iron, increasing its durability by anywhere between 25-33% with all other aspects being exactly the same. Except for its enchantability, which takes a considerable 50% hit, making it comparable to stone.

Aluminium Tools:
    A mid-tier replacement of iron, (as seems to be its general intent in Gregtech) these tools have 10% more durability then Invar, mine a a good bit faster, and have only 25% less enchantability then iron. They additionally require either two refined iron rods or two bronze rods instead of sticks.

Magnalium Tools:
    Simply a way to extend the use of your aluminium, these are exactly the same as aluminium tools. The distinction is added simply to allow for melting the tool down into the correct type of ingot.

Titanium Tools:
    An expensive tool type, which has the same mining level as diamond, with 40% more durability and a bit faster mining speed, but piss-poor enchantability. Also uses Magnalium rods as stick material.

Tungstensteel Tools:
    High-tier tools with the same mining level and durability as diamond, but come pre-enchanted with Unbreaking III. (Just for you, SpawnX) They also mine a bit faster then titanium and have an enchantability of 0, making them doubly unenchantable. Also uses steel as stick material.

Iridium Tools:
    This is more of a joke then an actual request, tools made from iridium would have anywhere from 3-5 times the durability of diamond (possibly infinite durability?) as well as an insane mining speed and enchantability rating. Also, if possible, I think they should also have a unique fortune effect which only effects uranium and iridium, which causes them to yield 2-3 of the respective ore instead of one. (Is disabled if the tool has silk touch.) Uses iridium as stick material.

Secondly, the add-on would add a config option for increasing the amount of EU that the electric tools use, preferably with the user in control of the amounts but with a default of 2-3x eu use, depending on the tool. (This does not include the new GT electric wrenchs or saws)

• Official Post
    • Official Post

But they are heavily specialized mods, not simple tool mods like the one suggested here!

Only valid tool, would be titanium tools, and for that, greg could add it himself.
    Maybe titanium could be that faster than diamond, lasts for much more, has highest enchantability.

When mixed with TC3 thaumium ingots it produces Titamium ingots a Light-strong-magically imbued material that can be used for even better tools and armor.

• invar is rather soft vs steel and iron. Aluminum-magnalium-iridium even more so.

Floating Castles. Three iron ingots, on a construction made from four cubic meters of wooden planks (made from a single cubic meter of log) compressed into a one meter space, and two sticks for a pickaxe. Solid diamond pickaxes. Zombies. Generators without a wire coil, or really much of anything in it, except maybe orcish ingenuity...

Matter Fabricators. Infinite energy/water.

Point is, Minecraft, IC2, and even GT are not realistic interpretations of reality, but are rather games intended for enjoyment by doing that which is impossible in the real world. Yes, it draws inspiration from reality, but loosely.

My intention with the tool values are to provide something that is balanced to the amount of effort that the materials require to acquire. Invar is intended to be an upgrade to iron, which requires either cross-mod usage (TE pulverizer) or decently advanced technology to acquire. (The fact that TE adds its own, easier method of acquiring invar made it a little hard to decide on how to balance this against the GT way of getting invar...) Aluminium is a mid-tier material which requires a lot of energy to refine, it is therefore better then iron, but I tried not to make the values TOO over the top, since it can be plentiful once you get a good source of power. Magnalium is more to give more uses to the alloy, and also provides a way to put a little more effort and varied materials into your tools for the reward of lower aluminium costs per tool. Iridium is just supposed to be ridiculous, given its rarity and value.

I actually have considered your point before, and thought about also suggesting alloys be added specifically for tools. Though, if you look at and compare the ways the metals are used in-game it really doesn't make much sense, according to GT's internal logic. Also, they would take up additional and unnecessary item IDs.

Who would make a mod for a mod for a mod?

I would, if I were better at motivating myself. :P
    I might get around to making this myself if no one else wants to do it.

But they are heavily specialized mods, not simple tool mods like the one suggested here!

Well, another important component of this mod is the final sentence of my post, (a doubling or tripling of EU consumption for electric tools) which basically turns this into a rebalance of tools in GT, meant to make durability tools more attractive vs electric ones.
    If it's not possible to adjust the EU consumption of electric tools, then this mod doesn't really have much point...

• Even though there are lots of "Unrealistic" stuff on Minecraft, it is a simplification of reality.
    Guess how you get "steel", for example? By mixing iron and carbon, like real industries does.

That's kind of my point, though. It's inspired by reality, but ultimately it's a game.

If it's a big deal to people, though, then there's always the option of adding aluminium-steel alloy... Though, again, it doesn't make that much sense when you compare it to other recipes that use aluminium as an iron replacement. It's just pointlessly contradicting Gretech's internal logic because it's 'unrealistic'...

EDIT:
    Oh, and I should mention that Railcraft steel tools/armor would be considerably more durable then aluminium as well, making them actually better. Aluminium would be an alternative, if you don't want to use iron, plus aluminium would probably be faster as well.

• Official Post

Aluminium can not always be used as an Iron replacement. It depends on which purpose the Iron is having in the Machine.

If someone still wonders why Aluminium needs a Blast Furnace while other things dont need it, it is due to HOW the Blast Furnace heats the Metal, as it is not just boiling the Metal to let it cool down in a mold. There is a reason why it is called "Blast" Furnace, as it is a blast of heat, instead of cooking the Metal up.

• Aluminium can not always be used as an Iron replacement. It depends on which purpose the Iron is having in the Machine.

If someone still wonders why Aluminium needs a Blast Furnace while other things dont need it, it is due to HOW the Blast Furnace heats the Metal, as it is not just boiling the Metal to let it cool down in a mold. There is a reason why it is called "Blast" Furnace, as it is a blast of heat, instead of cooking the Metal up.

True, however, it seems to primarily be used as a structural component (Machine hull, machine casing, etc.) which means that it must have, in Gregtech, structural properties at least comparable to iron.

Also, I'm not sure how that second part is relevant... Interesting, but still...

• lol, okay. :P

Also, I'd like to point out that the point of this addon request was not to debate whether aluminium really should be stronger then iron, but rather a suggestion for making tools in Gregtech more varied and balanced, by 1. increasing the EU cost of all electric tools, making them less useful unless you have a lot of EU, and 2. adding new and more varied options for tools which do not consume EU, which make durability-using tools more attractive as an actual option.
    Aluminium tools were, to me, just a nice mid-tier tool tier to provide an alternative to iron/steel, especially for if Railcraft isn't installed for whatever reason. Invar was kinda a meh idea, though I still think it could be used as a nice early-game way to prolong the use of your iron, either by giving it more durability or by allowing the player to make more tools out of their iron. Magnalium is basically the same logic, but for aluminium.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd also like to re-iternate @ above, that iridium tools are more of a joke, since i just KNOW someone would suggest it if this add-on was ever made. (Or maybe hopefully integrated into GT, maybe? :D) It would probably be better to just make it an iron-level tool with fortune III.

• And Minecraft is an add-on for for Windows, Mac and Linux (I think?)

Which, in turn is an add-on of the computer, which in turn can be considered an add-on to the world... etc. etc. etc.