[Suggestion] Wood Chips: Ground-up Logs

• I recently had a tree taken out in my yard, and the wood chipper got me thinking. What would happen if I macerated a log? Turns out, nothing. A macerator can handle stone, so I'm sure it could handle wood. So I simply suppose nobody's thought what to do with chopped up wood.

I'm sure more uses will eventually be found, but I've thought of one. Throw a log into a macerator, and you get a certain number of woodchips. Woodchips used to make plantballs will produce 4 plantballs per log's worth of chips, similar to how plantballs made from saplings make extra. (In my other thread, linked here, I detail how a plantball is worth 1/4 the energy of a charcoal, and thus a log.) If these plantballs are used as is, this exchanges 1 use of a furnace to make charcoal for 1 use of a macerator to make wood chips - roughly equivalent. But if these plantballs are further processed into biofuel, the energy yield is increased over charcoal, at the cost of the bio-fuel process.

Without this suggestion, there is no way to macerate wood or use it to make biofuel, though realistically it would make sense to be able to do both. Additionally, further uses for wood chips may be realized.

Side note: It is currently possible to generate three times more energy from wood via scaffolding than via charcoal. I recommend that the fuel value of scaffolding be changed to 250, the value for a stick, from 750, the value for other wooden items.

• I like that idea! (Don't know about others, but I can already think of how I would power my base [Forestry tree farm anyone!])
    If I am not mistaken, I believe putting a log (or planks?) in a thermal expansion pulverizer gives wood pulp, which in turn can be turned into paper. Maybe we could incorporate that type of recipe as well? Use the forge dictionary thing and make another type of wood pulp, but give the ic2 wood pulp the traits of above. Then we can choose how we want to use our precious mushed organic material.

• Yes, I would suggest that reprocessing the wood chips into the extractor would lead to wood pulp, then compressing it would make paper. I never liked paper from sugar cane. Papyrus is not paper.

Another use could lead into making fertilizer, or at least "bonemeal" (It should really be fertilizer, made by reprocessing wood chips into the macerator to get sawdust (yay, another dust), then adding sawdust, water cell (or bucket, for what matters), and dirt, mud or scrap into the workbench would give some fertilizer. It should output more with scrap and less with dirt, mud being in the middle. For mud I mean a mud block, not mud balls.

Yet another one would be a recipe to enable the conversion of one type of wood into another one. If you have a biomes o'plenty wood plank, you can't make a Bibliocraft item, for example. Only vanilla wood planks are accepted by some recipes. So, you put six wood chips into the workbench and you may have one "standard" wood plank (I can't think of anything more standard then oak wood plank). Some waste, but it can be useful sometimes.

• If you have a biomes o'plenty wood plank, you can't make a Bibliocraft item, for example.

That's just a bug in bibliocraft. I see no reason to make workarounds for it.

• This has been suggested already (long time ago though ^^).
    I'd like a way to get more energy using woodpulp than simply Charcoal though.

Paper from woodpulp has been suggested already as well, but would still be nice.

If you want to get rid off the "Scaffold bug", just use GT, which nerfed the scaffold recipies so it gives only 4 scaffolds (which is annoying for guys like me, using it just for building, but at least it avoid the exploit ^^)

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• That's just a bug in bibliocraft. I see no reason to make workarounds for it.

I think it's not really a bug, since bibliocraft items are coloured according to the type of wood that they were made from. I think the modder just didn't coded items for non vanilla woods. Of course, anyone could simply ask him if he could do this, but this is not the point. It would function as a general workaround for any kind of situation like that. Or just something you may do if you are in the middle of a birch tree forest and hate birch wood, so you may convert it to oak wood paying for it. i don't know. Just something that came to my mind. Probably not as good as it sounded in the first time, though. Well... nevermind...

• Unrelated, but also related to the Bibliocraft. It is made specificly for vanilla wood, but there are add-on mods for bibliocraft that add wood from other mods.

As to the actual conversation, if the devs of IC2 don't want to add this, I would be more than happy to make it. I think it is a great idea!

• Compressing wax + wood pulp = artificial log, used as a clean-looking building block + much more efficient than charcoal when used in a fire-burning furnace (not usable in Generator).

• Compressing wax + wood pulp = artificial log, used as a clean-looking building block + much more efficient than charcoal when used in a fire-burning furnace (not usable in Generator).

Where does the wax come from? Cross-mod stuff, or am I just stupid?

Everyone in the world is playing The Game.
    As soon as you think about The Game, you lose The Game. Be advised that you cannot lose The Game more than once in an hour.
    Whenever you lose The Game, you must say "I lost The Game."
    Since, when you think about The Game, you lose The Game, by reading this, you have just lost the game and will continue to do so for the rest of your life. You're welcome.

Yes, I like Nintendo. What's it to you?

My posts will be very infrequent. Just so you know.

• I was completely aware of the Forestry bees stuff; I was just unsure whether it was that or something else.

Everyone in the world is playing The Game.
    As soon as you think about The Game, you lose The Game. Be advised that you cannot lose The Game more than once in an hour.
    Whenever you lose The Game, you must say "I lost The Game."
    Since, when you think about The Game, you lose The Game, by reading this, you have just lost the game and will continue to do so for the rest of your life. You're welcome.

Yes, I like Nintendo. What's it to you?

My posts will be very infrequent. Just so you know.