Maximum Cable run of HV cable?

• I'm not talking about how long a current will last, but how long I can run it until it doesn't function. I was wondering because I'd like to run a line down my rail line to provide charging points for the trains (using traincraft and power converters), and also for simplifying setup of oil refineries (also using power converters for that). I was wondering how long my maximum length would be. I'd be running at EV if it matters.

• Official Post

Answering your question without any considerations :
    2047 blocks with EV.

1 EU will reach in the end, 2047 EU will be wasted (you will get only 1 EU of the 2048 EU sent).

My recommendation is to use Glass fibers with HV, if you are able to handle the expense.

• I'm not talking about how long a current will last, but how long I can run it until it doesn't function. I was wondering because I'd like to run a line down my rail line to provide charging points for the trains (using traincraft and power converters), and also for simplifying setup of oil refineries (also using power converters for that). I was wondering how long my maximum length would be. I'd be running at EV if it matters.

That depends on the type of insulation:

No insulation: 2047 blocks
    1x insulation: 2155 blocks
    2x insulation: 2275 blocks
    3x insulation: 2559 blocks

• Answering your question without any considerations :
    2047 blocks with EV.

1 EU will reach in the end, 2047 EU will be wasted (you will get only 1 EU of the 2048 EU sent).

My recommendation is to use Glass fibers with HV, if you are able to handle the expense.

I understood that much already, that theoretically, it should be possible. But with how cables work, does it work beyond the chunk boundary? It's noted that the distance you have loaded at one point (on servers at least) is typically 160 blocks. Does it work beyond this 160 blocks somehow?

• you will need to use chunkloaders (there are several mods which adds this) otherwise the energy wont transfer.
    RailCraft World anchor (sentinel for lines) is an example.

I thought that if any part of an e-net was loaded it would load chunks where the rest of the e-net connects to. I might be wrong, but that's just what I've heard.

• I thought that if any part of an e-net was loaded it would load chunks where the rest of the e-net connects to. I might be wrong, but that's just what I've heard.

If so that would cause heavy lag issues like those on the Mindcrack FTB server.

If you have GregTech, then it is probably better to use many IDSUs (but those are expensive).

Otherwise, you can just put multiple generators on the way and stuff like:

- If you use coal or wood or whatever power, you could transport coal/wood to be burnt at the places you need to charge trains instead.
    - If you use lava power, same way, just transport the lava and generate energy where it will be used.
    - If you use nuclear power, well that may be a slight problem.
    - Etc. etc.

You can transport stuff with carts or pipes (not really recommended) or AE network teleporting thingies or tesseracts.

• Electric minecarts? If you mean Batbox etc. carts from Railcraft then they're unable to consume any power

• Go for solar + mfes/batboxes in the sides , so you can have energy stations scattered over the line. Chunkload them on the start just to store some energy.
    How much an electric minecart consume (in any kind of power)?

That was my idea, using solar power to generate power, but I thought it might be cheaper to run cabling to various power transfer points. Then again, it doesn't take a lot of power to get the electric trains running. It might just work to have a few solar panels linked, although it means more setup. I could just charge at the stations I suppose.

By the way, if anyone is wondering, I planned to run the system by utilizing IC2 power, running to a power conversion setup that converts it to UE electricity, as that is all the electric rails in traincraft are compatible with. By the way, the reasoning for using renewable power is that the trains consume power continuously if left on a track, so I'd rather keep them running with free power than wasting useful things while they're idling.