Posts by lishid

if its already using metadata for some stuff could you not just add to the already existing metadata or perhaps take the coding from say wires, the personal safe, and your mod and just combine them?

Metadata is a field that can store numbers from 0 to 15 for a block. I need to store 4 faces for each type of block, currently having 3 types, which makes 12 out of 16 possible metadata used. Adding a new block will use all 16 different metadata.

I think i understood, but I think this will be put to later as coding it is complicated.

This is just a feature request.

I'd like the ability to have a "ghost chest". It would be a special chest that would be linked to another regular chest. The ghost chest would be able to be opened and observe the regular chest, but would not be able to add or remove items. There are a lot of situations this would come in handy for when you have a nice complicated system setup and you don't want to run all the way to wherever to make sure things are running correctly. Or maybe you just want to see how much matter you've generated without running all the way to your mass fab. The applications are endless.

I like the idea, someone also requested linked chests...

I am thinking of making a linked chest that has the same storage as diamond (upgraded from diamond) but can be linked to another chest (shared contents)

dont get me wrong it is nice decoration wise but you could also make another version of it to make it like the personal safe and have it look similar to one and just keep the others as well for decoration also being able to paint them would be nice :whistling: you know for color coding for sorting :love:

that will be a bit tougher. I don't think it's worth the trouble either. Painting blocks uses Metadata to store the color, while my chests use metadata already to store type and facing...

i was also wondering if you might be able to make it so they act like personal safes in the way they can be placed on top of each other and still open the one on bottom

Ok, I would put that in for the next version... (I thought the idea of being a chest-like chest would be nice, guess people still prefer to have the functionality part :D)

This is the max I can do without looking too bad

It's 25 slots more than the diamond chest (1 column = 9 slots, 4 x 4 columns = 16 slots), in contrast, a single chest is 27 slots.

Does anyone has a better idea? (or perhaps a better design of GUI that would offer better storage)

apart from the semi-obligatory "moar storage!" comment? (hmm.. 4 iridium plate?) Totally drawing a blank. Seriously though, love the diamond chests. Finally finished moving everything in my world off of Equivalent Exchange chests and into diamond ones so I could rip that mod out.

The gui is at its maximum size though -_- I can put a column or two more but I think we hit the limit (256x256 px)

Upon closely examining consequences of implementing invisible chests, multiple issues came up

A new blockID need to be used to make a block that does not collide with the player.
    Without a new ID, it will also cause the block to cast a shadow around itself.

To conclude, I'm open to any other suggestions that would work :)

How about a chest that provides a redstone signal when full? It could be crafted with any of the recipes and a electronic circuit or advanced electronic circuit.

This would allow for ultra efficient factory construction.

This sounds interesting, I might be able to put that code for all 4 chests...

HA! That won't happen, he has said many times he cares not for compatibility with ANYTHING. I reccomend trying the TMI Patch posted here. It works great for redpower2 items, since they all use such high damage values.

Hmm I'll decompile TMI later to see if there's any hack I can do to prevent crashing...

Also, I plan on making a new chest, Same size as diamond chest but block is transparent/invisible and does not collide (players can go through).
    Is this a viable choice or are there other suggestions?

Basically, I can fit 4 chests into this 1 blockID, so I'd like to add a 4th.

if you got any suggestions, just post them down here.

Also, Personal versions of the chests will be added later on. Depending on the implementation, I estimate a new blockID to add the new personalized chests.

If requested, I will split the add-on into 3, a core part and others each containing a certain blockID block.

lemme go beat on minecraft a bit.

edit: turn animation on and it no longer crashes
    edit2: run the command that's supposed to give a crash log and I get a message saying Minecraft Forge too old... this is the *exact same install* i'm running fine yet won't run seperately.
    Edit3: ok, finally got a crash log, it's identical to the one above.

I think it's because TMI is trying to render the item while my mod has a special rendering engine...
    I don't think it could be fixed by myself unless i remove the whole chest animation and make it into a solid block.
    It has to do with the coding of TMI...

Sorry, let's hope the dev of TMI could do something in the future to prevent this.

hmm.... that's really annoying. Unless it's how I have things configured? I moved the block ID to 205 (default location conflicts with something, probably redpower2) and turned animation off.

Hmmm I have not tested with Redpower... but I really don't think that is the problem.

Can you get a crashlog?

Ouch.. bit of a bug here, good thing I really haven't used the chests yet.

anyway, the bug? if you have Too Many Items installed the game locks up when you get to the page with the chests on it.
    I use TMI for my test world.. mucho easier when testing things out. (don't want to asplode anything in my main world or waste resources on something that might not work)

Uhh.....

No problem at all for me.

Ouch.. bit of a bug here, good thing I really haven't used the chests yet.

anyway, the bug? if you have Too Many Items installed the game locks up when you get to the page with the chests on it.
    I use TMI for my test world.. mucho easier when testing things out. (don't want to asplode anything in my main world or waste resources on something that might not work)

Not sure what could be screwing up with TMI... Ill check later.

Updated new version!

Changed recipe (gonna upload the image soon)
    Merged block IDs, please delete the IronChest.cfg and recreate a new one.

BE SURE TO REMOVE THE IRON/GOLD/DIAMOND CHESTS BEFORE YOU UPDATE TO 0.9.5

Not sure what you mean...
    You want it to be like BC's gear? (evolutionary type, where you put the last tier item with materials to upgrade to next tier)

I'm just finishing some lighting update issues.

Just put a warning for the new download. People will bitch but hey you learned something and its for the better.

Solved my problem! Now I'm going to do some improvements and features and let you guys know when I'm done.
    Also, I'll be sure to tell people what to dd before updating.