Posts by Pyure

How will polution work? Limiting the amount of boilers you can have per chunk? Or just adding up over time, until you remove it with some kind of filters or plants?

No hard limits. I believe in soft controls in game design rather than strict ones.

Short verison:

• Machines will produce varying amounts of pollution per cycle into the chunk and dimension. Stuff like Lava Boilers will be big offenders.
    • The air will cleanse itself of Y pollution per cycle. This way you can always produce SOME pollution and it has zero impact.
    • Chunks will dissipate Z pollution per cycle into adjacent chunks.
    • Machines (possibly any GT machine in your base) will regularly check the pollution level and if its too high, have a chance to "miss" a tick production wise. So energy will be spent, but nothing will happen during that tick.
    • Higher tier machines will generally produce far less pollution than lower tech machines!!

After that I'll entertain all the usual requests about dying crops and acid rain and health impacts, etc etc. Tech balance first though.

MHO is - multiblock machines should be more efficient than single block. So wiki should be changed, not code.

PS I'm still using array of HP Coal Boilers and HP Lava Boilers (they built long before GT5U was created) and need good reason to replace them by multiblock boilers :)
    Same for HeatExchanger/Turbines. Still using IC variant.

Wait till I finish implementing pollution, that'll learn ya to upgrade quick :p

That said...

I'm with Sapient on this one. There's not much reason to invest in huge, expensive machines if they're not going to offer a clear advantage. Progression balance is key!

This is my opinion in a nutshell, but I still want to hear what Blood Asp has to say.

Also I'd really appreciate it if someone can independently confirm my numbers.

Blood Asp, when you have a second, please see and comment
    [GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Finally a real endgame! Now new: Achievements!

Should we change the code or change the wiki, or am I just misinterpreting something?

If we need to change the code, just remove the "* 2L" from this line.

Code
    int tGeneratedEU = (int) (this.mEUt * 2L * this.mEfficiency / 10000L);

in GT_MetaTileEntity_HeatExchanger.java#L146

I'm saying that if you put 999 mB/s of lava into an LHE with no IC it will output 79,920 steam/s.
    If you put 1001 mB/s of lava into an LHE with no IC it will output 80,080 SHS/s.
    As I understood the wiki it should output 40,040 SHS/s in that second case

I can't replicate the halving failing at 999 vs 1001. In all my tests, the output changes properly.

I do see an error I believe however. It looks like the LHE is always producing 2x what it should. This is true of both HC and Lava.

During Testing:
    if I provide 3999mb/S HC, I get ~4000 mb/t steam.
    If I provide 4000m/S HC I get ~2000 mb/t Superheated steam
    if I provide 999mb/S Lava, I get 8000 mb/t steam
    if I provide 1000mb/S Lava, I get 4000 mb/t steam

All these values are doubled above what I see in Blood's wiki:
    1 HC = 0.5 steam or 0.25 SHS. So 4000 HC should be 1000 mb/t superheated steam, not 2000
    1 Lava = 4 mb/t steam or 2 mb/t SHS. So 1000 Lava should be 2000 superheated steam, not 4000

Any feedback on this before I submit the fix?

Bear in mind that if you feel there's a balance problem, the fix needs to go through Blood. I don't change his designs, I just fix em :)

Guys, energy is energy. If the heat from the liquid is being used to create energy in one area, it can't be used later to create energy in another area.

Well in my opinion the LHE +large turbines has a huge material cost and requires material upkeep and multiblock maintenance. To make sense to use it should be at least as good as the stirling engines or else I just wouldn't bother with it and would just make a srirling engine array.

Also when I said normal I meant steam so two large turbines both using the same type of rotor.

I know IC2 doesn't feature energy loss these days, but I wonder how much that would cut into your profits if it did. A GT5 turbine is a single point of contact requiring much less wiring. Your array would require considerably more.

(In infitech2 we've removed IC2 wiring. No free power transmission for you :p )

I'm saying that if you put 999 mB/s of lava into an LHE with no IC it will output 79,920 steam/s.
    If you put 1001 mB/s of lava into an LHE with no IC it will output 80,080 SHS/s.
    As I understood the wiki it should output 40,040 SHS/s in that second case

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks. I'll look into that.

Exactly what I'm looking for. Now the question is, do we do anything about it? The LHE has other advantages: you don't need to work it in multiples of 100, it saves floor space, and its scalable.

I take it a "Large" turbine is still better? You mentioned "Normal." Those things are ridiculous due to the efficiency bonus.

I know. I was suggesting ways to fix the issue of losing half of the water if the LHE was "fixed" to output half as much when in SHS mode. Another, more clean solution would be to just make the distilled water requirements half when in SHS mode.

[/quote]
    Oh ok, thanks. Don't worry, I switched the code to tie water/steam ratio together a bit more tightly. If I halve one, it'll halve the other too.

Is there a way to make fuel ethanol in GT5u? Seems the fermenter and some water and sugar would be able to make this most important fuel.

Distillation Tower, unless something in your pack breaks it. It may look for specific mods (Forestry?).

Hello.
    In 5.08.28 changelog the following change is listed:
    -Change large plasma gen output

Can someone explain what exactly was changed? When searching in the commit for "plasma" I only found that
    aOptFlow was changed from 40 to 20.

What does it mean to me as a player? Does it mean you know need 2x more turbines, since turbine will output 2x less EU/t? If that's the case it really sucks since you already needed 5 turbines for mk2 and now you're gonna need 10. For mk3 I'm not even gonna go how much pain it will be checking on all these rotors..

If I'm reading it right, it's lowering the target threshold to achieve maximum gain to the original design.

Since I've never done Fusion before, can you clarify why you need 5 turbines? Even with "Large" or "Huge" rotors?

When you say "SHS output from LHE reduced to half" are you talking about the way it outputs 50% SHS as opposed to 100% Steam, or are you talking about reducing the threshold with Integrated Circuits from 2000 to ~1000?

Can you please confirm for me that you're using the SHS properly? The loop for distilled water is:

Code
    LHE ----(SHS)---> HP Turbine ---(Steam)---->Turbine ---(Water) ---> LHE

Given that's the case, can you break down in detail how stirling engines are better than non-tunsgensteel turbines?

"how would the multimachine know which output hatch was for which fluid?"
    None of the multiblock turbines output more than one type of fluid. If you're feeding SHS into a HP Turbine, it outputs Steam, which you then dump into a second (non HP) turbine, which outputs distilled water. This amount of distilled water is equal to the amount of distilled water that created the SHS in the first place. I've tested this.

I know that shuttering every segment should make it work, but I have "that" feeling, y'know? And yes, I would love if Greg pipes worked under pressure after it gets full.

I assume that each tick, it tries to empty it's content to next container available. I just have no idea on which order this is done.
    I mean, if first segment tries to output to second segment, but that one didn't tried to output to the third yet, then it would have to wait; After that, seconds outputs to third. But, as first segment already tried to output to second this tick, it will just wait, while second will remain empty?

And does my question made sense to you? :D

That's exactly my concern. I have no idea how they work, having never looked at the code, but since at some point they needed to be calculated in arbitrary order, it stands to reason that exactly what you just described is going to happen.

There are ways around this: you can store a hidden overflow on every pipe that creates increased pressure (this is what I'd do). You can store the list of pipe segments in a hash that gets resorted depending on which segments depend on which (ugh). Chances are, it just sloshes and we deal with it :)

Thanks Pyure! :thumbup:

Well, I didn't thought about how many, I assume if it it works with 2 or 3, it will work with 10 or 20, the number of pipes shouldn't affect the result. In any case, I think 10 is a good number;
    About shutters, every pipe needs one, except the last one (if you are using the "Allow output only" config). It's a pain, but is what we have...
    I would be extra grateful, if you test with one and two input hatches.

Ah, and thanks too, for the info about how the 125% optimal flow works. I was wasting steam and producing less EU, It seems...

By shuttering every single segment, we're essentially removing the sloshing behaviour altogether :) You're right, in that scenario 3 is the same as 30.

I'd be more curious what happens if the pipes work "as intended", ie no shutters and relying only on computed pressure over time.

Honestly, the turbine has a neat mechanic where it obeys a sort of momentum: the output can't jump all over the place, it graduates up and down as fluid input changes. Given that, I would imagine GT pipes should do "OK" no matter what.

I am confused as hell, still, on how to build a fluid reactor and use it with a LHE. Does anyone have a good, detailed, picture-by-picture explaining guide to this?

Somebody tell Axle I'll probably provide a picture walkthrough this week. He doesn't see my messages.

Short version without pictures

• Create a reactor that supports 5x5 mode (produces heat output). See 5x5 reactor threads on this forum for this, there's lots of options. Thorium is fantastic.
    • The reactor produces Hot Coolant.
    • Feed Hot Coolant plus Distilled Water into the LHE
    • The LHE produces Steam (or SuperheatedSteam if you have enough Hot Coolant) and Cold Coolant
    • Feed the Cold Coolant back into the Reactor (closed loop)
    • Feed the Steam into your Turbines
    • The Turbines produce Distilled Water (or Steam) and Energy
    • Feed Distilled Water back into the LHE
    • Feed Steam into a second Turbine (whcih produces Distilled Water) (Closed Loop)

Hey Pyure I noticed on the wiki page for the LHE it says the LHE will output half as much superheated steam as it would regular steam when in HP mode. However I didn't take this into account when making my setup. The kicker is that my setup works assuming the output isn't halved...

To clarify this (and I had to re-word the wiki a couple times) your options are producing 50% superheated steam, or 100% regular steam. The benefit of the former is that you get twice as much power from a superheated steam turbine AND you then get to double-dip it as regular steam in a second turbine.

I think I found a case of double dipping if this is not intentional.

My setup aims to use 500 mB/s of lava to make 40 B/s of steam. The IC and extra 100 mB/s of lava allow this to happen in HP mode.
    500 mB/s lava * 80 steam/lava = 40 B/s
    If the output is supposed to be halved I should only be getting 20 B/s of HP steam.

I'll look into this. Just to clarify, you're actually trying to transform around 600 L/s lava into 20 L/s SHS correct?

Note that if this is unintentional and is fixed the pahoehoe lava centrifuge array would take nearly as much energy than the best rotors can put out at 500 mB/s. It wouldn't be hard to bump to 1 B/s of lava and ditch the IC but then I'd have to move the pump more and use a higher percentage of the power to process the lava :p

You don't need to process the pahoehoe if you don't want to. You can just void it (by leaving it in the hatch. Am I missing anything here?

Also I haven't tested this but the wiki says the hot coolant outputs 10 mB of steam for every 1 mB of hot coolant. The LHE outputs 80 mB of steam for every 1 mB of lava. Lava and hot coolant are 4:1 in every other case with the LHE except for output. I haven't actually tested this yet but will soon since I plan on making a hot coolant setup with 6 reactors. It might be hard to get a reasonable amount of power out of it though if I plan on the HP steam mode getting halved in an update And now I have to take another unexpected halving into account.

Can you clarify what you mean about lava and HC being 4:1 in every other case?

You'll get very good power out of your reactors. The steam output gets halved, but (as mentioned above) you double-dip it. A Large High-Pressure Steam Turbine will output 1 steam for every SHS it receives. So if your first turbine generates 800 eu/t, the second will generate 400 eu/t (factoring in efficiencies rotors and optimal flow)

My partner made a good stable 4x quad thorium design that's easy to automate that outputs 900 Hu/s (900 mB/s of hot colant). Let's say I made 5. That's 4500 mB/s of hot coolant which translates too 22500 mB/s of HP steam. That's about 1.5 kEU/t. I want to make sure that this would be a setup as it's intended.

I get that it's low maintenance 1.5 kEU/t forever but right now I'm making twice that with lava with very low capital cost compared to 6 decked out fluid reactors each using 8 iridium neutron reflectors.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of allowing lava in the LHE myself. Blood likes it though :)

Also the integrated circuitry in the wiki example assumes no halving of HP steam output when using an IC with hot coolant. 1146 HP steam/t / .865 efficiency * 20 t/s = 26500 mB/s of HP steam for 2650 mB/s of hot coolant (10:1).

I suspect you're right about this. I hope I remember to check it out and confirm.

Thanks for the fun feedback willis :)

Thx, that doesn't really help though. I know how to do that with IC2 storage, but I want to set up this:

I have 4 Lapotronic Energy Clusters in my buffer. Is it possible to send a signal when batteries are, say, 95% or less full? This would allow plasma to be sent into the turbine, so that I don't waste plasma and rotor.

How does this energy detector work? I thought it only worked on machine's internal buffer, and not batteries. I found this setting "including batteries" but it didn't seem to work.

Sorry Aiwen, that was the wrong image. I mentioned the detector but showed you an older IC2 setup.

The energy detector can be screwdrivered to output a comparator-able signal. Its one of the last settings. That way you can make it do things like trigger RS Latches on the 0-15 range (93% instead of the 95% precision you're looking for)

The turbines will always accept as much fluid as the hatches can hold. So if a turbine is deactivated, and you fill it up with, say, 64000 steam, it will begin working with that amount once activated.

How does it work? Well, every tick it will try to use up to 125% of its "optimal amount". So if your rotor has an optimal flow of 10,000L/s, it will consume 12500. It will process that steam into energy at 75% efficiency. So its always best to provide optimal flow to the hatch if possible, because excess is gradually voided until equilibrium is reached.

Your EV pump would definitely cause you grief in this scenario. If you can't use a pump that matches throughput with a rotor, you'll want to look at alternative infrastructure there.

Short answer: It's a nightmare. Avoid putting more steam than its optimal flow.
    I'm using pipes with shutters, for example, to achieve 12000L/s, you can use a Huge bronze pipe (9600L/s) + Normal bronze pipe (2400L/s) = 12000L/s (two input hatches) should work.
    You should see this video too (thanks, Willis), it's very helpful.
    I'm not sure if it's feeding the turbine correctly, though, because PYURE refuses to test it using Greg's pipes :P .

Dammit, fine, I'll try to test this tonight :p I can't watch the video atm: how many pipe segments do you want, and how many are shuttered?

Can I ask what do you use to check how full the buffer is? Or/and maybe show the screenshot?
    I'd like to do same thing on my plasma turbine.

fwiw, if you're ambitious, you can hunt through the FTB infitech2 thread and find my setup as I do the same thing. A batbox with the energy detector cover on it, triggering on and off via a SR latch (also known as an RS latch although I prefer SR)

Edit: http://forum.feed-the-beast.co…185/page-253#post-1323095

I actually like having mods like BC TE, and extra utilities as long as they're "balanced" to the point of costing much more than their GT counterparts. I don't like multiple blocks that do the same thing except one does it better, faster, for less energy, and less material cost. Everything in a pack should have its place.

+1. If one mod does something way better than another and isn't justified via progression or resource costs, nobody will ever use that inferior tech.

Also I've never actually used EnderIO personally but the reason I shy away from it is because from what I've seen it eliminates all routing and plumbing problems. I think those are some key elements in a design and just removing it from the equation isn't as satisfying.

That it does. I'm pretty torn on this myself. On the one hand, I dislike having the easy EnderIO option for simple logistical problems, but on the other hand, it adds some flexibility for truly deep and convoluted scenarios.