Posts by Aethir

The correct installation procedure for Forge 135 and up is:
    Get a fresh minecraft.jar (force update if needed)
    Download the recommended build of Forge.
    Copy the contents of Forge into the minecraft.jar.
    and finally, don't even think about putting Modloader into it. Modloader is no longer required and is incompatible.

Crash, burn, epic fail.

Please refer to the preceding posts, and preferably read them in entirety - the process you outlined does not work for me. At all.

i.e. if Modloader was incompatible - then why does MC refuse to run until Modloader is installed...?
    This is 100% completely replicable in Forge builds 135, 152, and 164.

There's something very wrong there then - FML is starting to load mods from your user folder... Are you using .minecraft or something such as MultiMC or a batch file?

do you mean .minecraft, as in the default minecraft install directory? yep...
    I can't figure out how to make the java command-line actually log me into MC, so when I play SMP I run MC straight from the default launcher .exe; not a batchfile in sight, and I wouldn't even know what MultiMC is (I could hazard a guess, though)

All this is admittedly moot at the moment; I think I'll stick with my present 108 build until the next major version update - but for the sake of others who follow, it'd be good to get to the bottom of just what causes these wierd glitches...

btw, is Forge really supposed to be completely non-dependent on Modloader now? Because from where I sit, it sure don't look that way... thanks heaps for the input peeps :)

This is what happens when I install Forge versions #135/152/164 without installing Modloader first:

- when I install Modloader first then Forge, it runs fine. So if the later Forge iterations do away with it, I fail to see how that works...

As for .jar editing program: WinRAR
    Process: open .jar in WinRAR, drag/drop files direct from directory to opened .jar

The process isn't at fault as far as I can tell; as otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get a running IC SMP server going, let alone connect to it. It just seems to be that only very specific combinations of Forge and IC work together... which is intensely frustrating for even an experienced player, let alone some clueless newb trying to get in on this awesome Industrialthingy...

The issue with sideways machines has only been for people running bukkit and/or multiverse(worlds) what ever it's called.

The fact you are having trouble getting MC to run with only forge (newer versions), makes me think there is something else wrong with how your installing, or something else on your system. I'd look at that as the issue of whats wrong with your current install as well.

To clarify my installation procedure:
    1. Fresh .jar
    2. Add Modloader 1.2.5 (no modloader, no minecraft - it's only MLMP that Forge does away with, it seems)
    3. Add Forge client files
    4. Run MC, stare in confusion at my workshop...

Currently I have Forge #108 installed, which solved both the sideways machines (no bukkit/multiwhatnow in sight) and the invisible minecart issues - but I had to revert to IC 1.95b as well.

What else could possibly be on my system that would cause such a thing?

wiki is source of information, not HAYO bullshit.
    if i want to read something artistic i will read book, not IC2 wiki.

As I said, if you don't like the style, no-one's stopping you writing your own. Considering that in the old days of IC there was no wiki at all, just a randomly-updated front page to a forum thread, I'd say your complaints come across as, frankly, churlish. There are a number of examples on the wiki that quite well illustrate that useful information can be imparted while keeping within the theme and tone of the overall design.

It seems this is an issue that's come up before, but as yet I have seen no clear solution to it...

I'm running an IC2 server - no other mods asides IC 1.95b + Forge 114. (this, by the way, is the only combination that I can get to load and run - Ive tried Forge builds 135, 152 and 164, combined IC 1.95b and 1.97 - to no avail)

And all my machinery is borked. Upside down, sideways, power generation is a bust and my world hurts. Is there a way to rectify this, short of rolling back to even earlier versions of Forge or IC?

*edit* - does anyone know if this'll be fixed in later iterations? as the subject says, I had to roll all the way back to Forge #94 to get anything to work...

*edit II* - the Case of The Incredible Invisible Minecarts meant an uptick to Forge #108

I would recommend starting with a clean client and server jar, and installing NOTHING but Forge 152. Run the server/client

Here's the thing: I tried installing 152 on a fresh .jar - and got this:

From the look of it, you'd think I installed the server version of Forge onto my MC client - but you'd be wrong. I've tried /both/ #152 versions, to see if the zips were mislabelled when they were posted, and the client zip is the only one that runs long enough to give an error message... this is really starting to aggravate me (and my girlfriend!)

redundancy for clarity:
    Forge #135 + IC1.97 works - sort of.
    After
    about 0-20 seconds, it drops out with some form of io. error - mostly
    bad packets, occasionally a 'string length less than zero' - can only
    assume this is Forge related? Sorry for lashing out if/when I do. This
    has been pissing me off for days now...

Use the recommended build of Forge and the current version of IC2.

oh, such helpful advice! If you'd actually been reading you would have realised I didn't know IC 1.97 was out yet, for one.

*edit* - Forge #135 + IC1.97 works - sort of.
    After about 0-20 seconds, it drops out with some form of io. error - mostly bad packets, occasionally a 'string length less than zero' - can only assume this is Forge related? Sorry for lashing out if/when I do. This has been pissing me off for days now...

And while you are at it, unless you need ic2 1.95b for a specific server, you may want to upgrade to Ic2 1.97. It may be an issue of the older version of IC2 not working with the newer versions of forge.

...I didn't even realise I was using an older version of IC... to the Batcave!
    Progress update in the works.

*edit II* - "Failed to load mod class mod_IC2class" - using Forge 3.2.4.114/IC 1.97 - Using Forge 114 and IC 1.95b works fine.

Try using the recommended version of Forge instead of the latest.

Here's the thing - when you use the recommended version (which is what, exactly? #135? the wiki doesn't specify a build #, unless you're referring to the jenkins download page itself), you cannot connect to a server running that same version: MC will throw an error stating you need Forge #156+ (4096 Fix).
    However - the latest version of Forge (#164) gives exactly the error myszucha describes.

I'm lost, angry, and hellish frustrated :(

Because when people do that, not only is the flavor text put back in, the helpful information they tried to add is removed. The wiki is intentionally bad, not instrumentally so

IMHO; if you want a soul-less wiki that exposes every secret/trick/technique/tidbit of information in a lovely dot-point format, then there's nothing stopping you from creating one. It's quite clear by some of the revisions that the overall artistic style of the current wiki is intended to be preserved; it's not a Haynes manual, fer petessake.

Perhaps you should be writing your contributions in keeping with the style of the wiki, instead of trying to impose your own ideals on it? Just a thought.

As a sometime wiki contributer, I'd say that for the most part you can edit without needing an official green light - if you get it horribly wrong, it usually gets picked up quickly. I think Feanturi is still in charge of all that, if you wanted to clarify with him. I just wouldn't make any massive sweeping changes to layout, or anything...

Yep, one of those "omg I modded it and now it daont wurk!" threads.

error report:

*major edit* - of all the bizarre things... the solution was to turn my java command-line into an actual .bat file located in the .minecraft/bin directory - WHY this is so, I sincerely have no idea.

the commandline in question: java -Xms512m -Xmx768m -cp "%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\*";
    -Djava.library.path="%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives"
    net.minecraft.client.Minecraft

MANY thanks to Hidinginthelight for providing the final solution
    :thumbup:

-*edit*-
    a fresh .jar with ONLY Modloader and Forge #164 (aka Forge 3.3.8.164) installed - in that order - same error.
    .jar with ONLY Forge #164 - same error.

*edit II*
    Fresh .jar with Modloader and Forge 3.2.4.114 - works fine.

The reason for using Forge #164 is because my IC2 server is unconnectable with earlier versions, for whatever insane reason.

so... can an IC2 server be built using an outdated version of Forge?

Is there any plans to update this at all? Or can I get some troubleshooting advice?
    I went to use it on an IC 1.23 world... and got all sorts of item mismatches. Solar panels turned into copper ore; my rubber trees appear to be made of macerators now; uranium fuel cells into plantballs, tin ingots to gold dust, etc etc...

Is there any way I can unBork my world?

This started as a completely unrelated/misplaced/dumbass thread in a different section; I've since worked out that this is where my post should be... every time I try and load a world, old or new, I get this error:

Mods loaded: 3
    ModLoader 1.2.5
    mod_MinecraftForge 3.1.2.97
    mod_IC2 v1.95

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT d1679b05 --------

Generated 4/24/12 8:34 PM

Minecraft: Minecraft 1.2.5
    Java: 1.6.0_20, Sun Microsystems Inc.
    VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
    LWJGL: 2.4.2
    OpenGL: GeForce 7300 GT/AGP/SSE/3DNOW! version 2.1.2, NVIDIA Corporation

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: alb.getSaveFolder()Ljava/lang/String;
    at aia.a(AnvilSaveHandler.java:21)
    at xd.d(World.java:362)
    at xd.<init>(World.java:345)
    at xd.<init>(World.java:277)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:1930)
    at mw.c(SourceFile:171)
    at mw.a(SourceFile:128)
    at vp.a(SourceFile:74)
    at vp.f(SourceFile:122)
    at vp.i(SourceFile:110)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.k(Minecraft.java:1561)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.x(Minecraft.java:819)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:747)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    --- END ERROR REPORT c3127527 ----------

Does anyone know what would cause this?

*edit 2*
    ok, I found Industrial Upgrade, which renders my original post pointless.
    However:

I can't create a new world; I imported a save file which shows up fine in my worldlist, but anything I create new is created, MC says "switching level", MC crashes, and then the world can't be found ingame afterwards, despite the folder for it existing. Is this a pure MC error? Or something more sinister?

Mods loaded: 3
    ModLoader 1.2.5
    mod_MinecraftForge 3.1.2.97
    mod_IC2 v1.95

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: alb.getSaveFolder()Ljava/lang/String;
    at aia.a(AnvilSaveHandler.java:21)
    at xd.d(World.java:362)
    at xd.(World.java:345)
    at xd.(World.java:277)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:1930)
    at mw.c(SourceFile:171)
    at mw.a(SourceFile:128 )
    at vp.a(SourceFile:74)
    at vp.f(SourceFile:122)
    at vp.i(SourceFile:110)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.k(Minecraft.java:1561)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.x(Minecraft.java:819)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:747)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    --- END ERROR REPORT c73f1c4a ----------

...so now I'm confused. And peeved. I've been looking forwards to herding cats for days now!
    Can anyone shed some light?MinecraftSheep