Posts by MauveCloud

I've looked at the forum post for EE3, and it says "EMC has not been implemented yet in EE3, look for it in the future" - I was under the impression that EMC was the main point of Equivalent Exchange, so I'm confused it was released without that. Scratch EE3, I guess. Now it's between Project-E, Equivalent Exchange Reborn, AetherCraft, and Balanced Exchange (or deciding not to use any of them). I haven't used any mods like these before, so could you please provide some brief explanations of why you're interested in those particular features? Thanks.

Also note I pulled Iridium Mod, because as I understand it, GregTech does its own worldgen iridium ore blocks (making Iridium Mod redundant), and I watched an old direwolf20 spotlight on Forestry, which seemed to say that it was a BuildCraft addon (I guess it became a standalone mod later), so I went ahead and downloaded BuildCraft.

Minecraft Loader? I may suggest you use MultiMC. It is awesome to deal with mods, settings, configs, everything as you can have separate instances for every custom modpack of yours and it has a very user friendly interface.

I guess I forgot to mention it, but I'm already using MultiMC. :D Minecraft Loader was a mod to show a progress bar and more detail of what Minecraft is doing as it loads. It took me some time to track down the incompatibility between it and GregTech as the culprit, because the stack trace in the crash log was listing several classes starting with "mapwriter" as the beginning of the package name, even though I didn't have the MapWriter mod installed.

No, but its not complicated. Give it power, it will harvest all crops around it in a 5 radius (11x11). Use ejector upgrade to dump the produce in a chest/pipe/whatever. Give it a cropnalyzer in the ghost slot and it will only harvest crops when they are fully matured (stickreed for example can be early harvested for reed, not yielding any sticky resin).

That sounds more powerful than the old GregTech crop harvestor, which from what I could find only harvested one block in front of itself, although it didn't need any item added to make it wait for crops to fully mature.

Nuclear Control? :p I hear that's a great mod.

I've looked at Nuclear Control 2, and it seems to me that any reactor design unstable enough to need it would output less average EU/t compared to good Mark I designs once I include cooldown time in the calculation, and having cooldown times part way through a reactor cycle would slow down obtaining plutonium for RTG fuel.

mementh, I finally finished watching your video, and I can't imagine myself building such a complicated setup for around 802 EU/t - now that you've corrected the formula in the google spreadsheet, building that reactor takes about 4.76 times as much lead as an EU-style reactor, but produces less than double the output of a good EU-style reactor. The 420 EU/t design might take more uranium, but by the time you have enough lead to make 343 ingots of it, there's a good chance you'd also have enough uranium for 2 or even 3 such reactors.

Edit: I also have some suggestions that might help you shorten your video a bit, though probably not down to the suggested 15 minutes:
    1. Use a superflat world. That way you don't have to spend time clearing away plants or putting in extra dirt to allow yourself to walk around the reactor. If you're concerned about being able to get under the reactor to direct some of the fluid exchangers up, you could lay down a few extra layers of dirt ahead of time with plenty of room around the reactor, or you could see if your design would work with the side assemblies rotated 90 degrees so that the fluid exchangers wouldn't need to point up.
    2. Cut the sequences where you're just building an identical structure on a different side of the reactor - you can just say you've done so.

If you wanna a ee2 but updated i need to show you this awesome mod,it is ProjectE,made by Moze_Intel - which is very cool guy - it has everything that EE2 had...however it has different textures,but if you wanna use EE2 textures,NostalgicHero (Chocohead) made a resourcepack.
    ProjectE downloads : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0re…AAD9pmU4zOSQDSVgjVCtB5IJa
    ProjectE github : https://github.com/MozeIntel/ProjectE
    EE2 textures for ProjectE : [Addon][1.7.10][Open-Beta] GregTech-Addon: Sorry, but Clippy cannot help you with this Mod. You gotta do the research about Features yourself. (dont ask why this is in the Gregtech thread)
    ---------------------------------------------
    (I don't speak english,expect mistakes).

Um, you know EE3 is out, right? According to the downloads list, it has been available for 1.7.10 since at least the end of June 2014. Why should I use an alpha-status port of EE2 instead? I'm more interested in how it compares to competing mods like AetherCraft and Balanced Exchange.

Also with Forestry you can do the whole rubber farm.

With stickreed or by harvesting rubber trees and letting me put the rubber wood in an extractor?

I've only known and use Rei's Minimap, pretty straight forward and can easily mark locations. What more do you need!

I've tried 3 minimap mods, but it's hard to decide which one I should use: MapWriter allows panning the map when I open it to fullscreen mode, but has no radar (also, mapping underground has to be toggled manually, and only works in areas where there's light, so if I use some form of night vision, it doesn't help). Rei's minimap has radar, but uses color coding for different mob types, which is a problem for me since I'm partially colorblind. VoxelMap (previously known as Zan's minimap) shows icons for different mob types, and can toggle them individually, but it's often hard to tell how close I am to the layer a mob is on.

Though about Extra Utilities? It adds some nice Peaceful mode items.

Extra Utilities seemed like a hodgepodge of different ideas mashed together into one mod, so I was hesitant to use it. Which items are you referring to, and is there a strong reason for me to use them instead of Peaceful Plus?

The majority of nerfs can be disabled, including that wood one.

That may take me some time to find them in the config. On the other hand, I suppose looking through the other items in the config might help me get a bit of a feel for what GregTech does.
    Edit: found the configs for the two nerfs I was concerned about, though I had to pull Minecraft Loader, since it's not compatible with GregTech (no idea why).

GregTech crop harvestor does not exist anymore since IC2 implemented its own.

Is there any documentation on the IC2 version of the crop harvestor?

I am somewhat against using GregTech in my single-player game. Here are the pros and cons I've noticed so far (admittedly I haven't tried it much or researched it deeply):
    Pros:
    * many of the changes to recipes for IC2 machines make sense, like needing diamonds to make a macerator (macerating diamond and obsidian with just flint is a bit weird), or a ruby to make a mining laser.
    * adds more worldgen ores, including iridium, and presumably some of the machines are built with the additional metal types.
    Cons:
    * as far as I can tell, there's no official/dedicated wiki for GregTech itself, only a 2090-page (and counting) IC2 forum post about it and some incomplete FTB wikis (http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/GregTech and http://ftbwiki.org/GregTech).
    * it tweaks vanilla minecraft items and recipes, like much lower durability for wooden and stone pickaxes (and presumably for other tools as well) and only 2 planks per wood, 2 sticks per 2 planks (though I don't find a mention of these tweaks in the description or wiki summaries). I feel like that's going too far.

I considered Forestry, but the wiki doesn't have a "first steps" page like some of the other big mods do, and the videos I found there seemed like they were focusing on new features for version 2.0, rather than core functionality. As far as Railcraft, I'm not sure I like the idea of simple rails becoming more complicated to build (though I'm okay with rails that have extra functionality being complicated). Also, I haven't seen much in the way of features from them that would interest me.

I hadn't been interested enough in IC2 crops to notice the existence of stickreed, but it looks like a good way to get sticky resin. However, the Crop Harvestor is from GregTech as far as I can tell (although possibly it has been migrated to IC2, and the wikis haven't been updated yet).

I've decided to start a new single-player survival game and re-evaluate which mods to use, but I also have some questions.

Note: I play Minecraft to relax, not to challenge my skills, so I generally stay in peaceful mode and single-player. Also, I have a 4k screen, so I'd prefer not to have to settle for 16x textures. I have been using 128x textures (from bdcraft.net), since 256x or 512x tends to run out of memory, even though I have 16 gigabytes of physical ram (and I've tried giving Java up to 12GB for running Minecraft). I've gotten 256x textures to work when I play with no mods (including in version 1.8).

Questions:
    1. Can someone suggest a layout for setting up IC2 machines automated via AE2 crafting cpu(s)? (including some ME controllers, and some room for ME storage drive(s) and expanding other things as needed)
    2. Is there a mod (or combination of mods) that would allow me to automatically tap rubber trees (in a farm I'd make either manually or automatically of just rubber trees with leaves removed) for the sticky resin and put it in a nearby chest of some sort, wait for the tap hole to refill before tapping it again, and stop when the chest is full?
    3. Which matter conversion/exchange mod is best? AetherCraft, Balanced Exchange, Equivalent Exchange 3, or some other similar mod? Please provide reasons, and if there's a feature comparison table already posted somewhere, I'd like to look at it. (or are they all so overpowered that I shouldn't use any of them?)
    4. If I don't use some other mod's way of obtaining iridium ore, am I better off making more via mass fabricator and replicator once I find some in a chest (last I checked, iridium ore requires 120 mB of the liquid UU-matter), or looking for more chests with it?
    5. Which minimap mod is best, and why? A comparison table for them would be good too.

I was going to list my feelings on all the mods listed at http://modlist.mcf.li/version/1.7.10, aside from ones that were server-side only, dependencies for other mods that didn't do much on their own, or addons to mods I don't plan to use, but that would have put me way over the 10k character limit for forum posts here.

In general, I like mods that reduce the risk of my character dying or having my stored items and machines I've set up destroyed, but I don't like mods that make it trivial to obtain materials that are normally limited (I don't mind automating the gathering of renewable materials like wood from giant spruce trees or sticky resin from IC2 rubber trees, though). I'm okay with semi-automatic crafting, but I think it's more fun to do the mining myself than to use some sort of automatic miner. Also, I'm usually not interested in mods that add decorative blocks that don't have other uses.

Here are the mods I'm planning to use so far (with 1.7.10, at least until such time as most of them have 1.8 versions):
    Advanced Genetics
    Applied Energistics
    Aquaculture
    Autofish
    BedrockLayer
    Compact Solars
    ChickenShed
    Enchanting Plus
    Fortune Ores
    IndustrialCraft 2 Experimental
    Iridium Mod
    Malisis Doors
    MAtmos
    Millenaire
    Minecraft Loader
    Mouse Tweaks
    NEI Addons
    NEI Plugins
    Nether Ores
    New Dawn
    New Dungeons
    Not Enough Items
    Optifine
    Peaceful Plus
    Ruins
    Shaders Mod
    Squeedometer
    Too Much Loot
    Too Much Rain
    Treecapitator
    Twilight Forest
    Waila
    Waila Harvestability
    Waving Plants (shader pack)
    Wawla
    WorldStateCheckpoints

Please let me know if you can answer any of my questions, or if you want to suggest a mod to remove from or add to the list above, and we can discuss, thanks.

I think the problem is that a Miner doesn't take ejector upgrades, so what would be the point of configuring the ejector? Also, iirc, if an ejector is configured to output in a specific direction, it won't output to other directions even if the inventory in that direction is full, so outputting to the chest once the hopper is full would not be normal behavior.

My guess would be that the Miner uses the default sequence of an ejector upgrade: South, North, Top, Bottom, East, and then West (as listed at http://ftbwiki.org/Ejector_Upgrade). Thus if the two chests were on the east and west sides, it would output into the hopper first, but if they were moved to be on the north and south sides, it would output to the chests first.

Yes that's exactly what I mean. I use nuclear control on the reactor inside of the 5x5 vessel before sealing it so the remote thermal monitor will send an inverse redstone signal through the redstone port to stop production of EU on the sterling generator. Is there a design that will only need 1 pair of fluid ports that still uses quad cells (both uranium and mox) thats stable in 5x5 format? It seems that the standard reactor designs are a tad bit unstable for the new 5x5 format. When the core temp is maintained components melt because they can't keep up then the heat rises and then KABOOM I get a crater. All six reactors have space for only one fluid port since I put them in a rectangle with 4 block space in between columns (two of them a Wall) and 1 block spacer wall in between each reactor in each column.

I'm sorry, but that still doesn't make it clear what you mean by "group of fluid ports", and I'm having trouble visualizing your setup based on your description. Like Blackpalt said, some pictures would be nice. I don't understand how they would only have space for one fluid port each. However, with the 5x5x5, I think arranging several of them tightly together is a bad idea, as is putting walls between them. You want some room around them for multiple fluid ports and heat-to-energy conversion setups connected to each fluid port.

Edit: I looked again at the edited first post of this thread, which says a single reactor fluid port and LHE can handle up to 200 Hu/s. I checked in my planner, and a simple design with one quad cell (0C0D0C0000000000000D030D0000000000000C0D0C000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000) will generate 192 Hu/s average (and maximum), which is close to that limit, so if you insist on only using one fluid port per reactor, you'll also have to limit yourself to one quad cell per reactor.

I never actually realised how bloody expensive the new reactors are, holy shit thats a lot of resources.

Think nuclear could use some buffing or windpower some nerfing
    You could make something like 10 wind turbines at 160 height and it would produce 800-1000 eu/tick for about a stack of copper and tin, 400 ish iron, 90 steel and 2880 coal powder. that does not feel right considering the cost of that reactor :S

Now I'm curious. Has anyone made a table comparing the resources needed to produce a certain amount of eu/tick (e.g. 1000 eu/t, either average or peak) using different methods (old-style reactors, new-style reactors, simple generators, water power, wind power (including compact windmills), solar power (including advanced and compact solar panels), etc.)?

What do you mean by "one group" of fluid ports? If you're using the 420 EU/t "High power high running cost" design from the official reactors design thread ([Official] New Reactors design thread.), I've put that one in my planner (IC2 Experimental Reactor Planner open beta), and it indicates an average heat output for the 5x5x5 of 1344 HU/s, so it would require either 7 or 14 fluid ports, each with its own liquid heat exchanger, and then a stirling generator or steam+kinetic generators for each port.

I hesitate to build the 5x5x5 in my survival game until there's better documentation of how to set it up, including how to tell if the external components are oriented properly (and which face to sneak-click with a wrench if they're not, which isn't always intuitive, in might in some cases even require doing that to the side facing the reactor, which would be a problem) and how to determine how many external components are needed for an arbitrary reactor design. Also, I think there was a mention earlier in this thread of getting 11mb of water for a steam generator - does that need to be exactly 11mb in a ufc, and if so, how does one get that exact amount?

That would explain why it needs compressed air :) and I have to agree with you about the vanilla minecraft furnace - cooking fish and smelting ores in the same furnace at the same speed and fuel usage is rather strange.

Edit: I've gone a bit further and edited en_US.properties in my local copy of IC2 so that I see "Steel Ingot", "Steel Plate" etc. instead of "Refined Iron" and changed the name of the blast furnace to "Basic Oxygen Furnace". :)

Iron from ores have more carbon than desired at the moment, thus we remove it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_oxygen_steelmaking

That would imply that the iron ore in Minecraft is very heavily (possibly entirely) composed of siderite (FeCO3), since none of the other ores listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_ore have any carbon, that iron ingots are actually pig iron, and that IC2 steelmaking is significantly different than real-life steelmaking (where the blast furnace makes the pig iron, and it gets passed to an electric arc furnace, induction furnace, or basic oxygen furnace to be converted to steel (as described at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_iron#Modern_uses)).

I hadn't noticed the existence of the electric sorting machine until it was mentioned in this thread, but it works great. As far as it getting clogged, I don't think that's much of a risk unless you only keep 1 compressed air cell in it and make heavy use of the compressor for other things. I put 60 compressed air cells in the blast furnace, and used overclocker upgrades in the compressor when I needed it for something else. Even without overclocker upgrades, the compressor can resupply the compressed air faster than the blast furnace uses it.

I haven't bothered building more than one blast furnace, though, because by leaving it running (with a single-coil electric heat generator) while I do other things, I've now got 179 refined iron ingots, even after building a molecular transformer (which I decided to use once I scanned some iridium ore and saw how expensive it would be to make with a replicator), 24 advanced solar panels (one of which I've upgraded to an ultimate hybrid solar panel), 8 MFSUs, and a few other things that needed advanced machine casings.

One thing that bothers me, though: when I centrifuge the slag, I get 5 coal dust (and a tiny pile of gold dust), which indicates that refined iron has significantly less carbon than regular iron, so how is it supposed to be the same as steel?

You can remove liquid from any machine's output tank by shift-right clicking on it while holding an empty universal fluid cell and shift-right clicking on it with a full cell will dump the contents into the input tank.

That's good to know. That IC2 wiki page linked above doesn't mention that I need to hold the sneak key when right-clicking the machine with the universal fluid cell.

Thunderdark has apparently been unsuccessful at adding the fluid enrichment recipes to NEI (see here: Fix/Add NEI Canning Machine Support), but you can enrich water with 8 lapis lazuli dust (or distilled water with 1 lapis lazuli dust, from what I've read) to make coolant. It helps to have two fluid/solid canning machines adjacent to each other with fluid ejector upgrades, since that seems to be the only way to get fluid out of the right-hand tank.

If you meant that my planner didn't allow smaller reactors, technically it did - it would check how many of the rightmost columns were empty, and adjust the materials for the reactor accordingly. If you meant that nobody bothers building smaller reactors anymore, you might be right. I mainly just included that because the old planner included reactor body cost, but I've removed it now.

it could do with a "refresh" button or to find out why its not always updating/giving full details.. ( notice this on load/part change somtimes )

I figured out part of why that happens: the simulator was waiting for the reactor heat and total component heat to stabilize (i.e. remain the same as the previous tick), but with your second design, the total component heat fluctuated between 2 and 5 on different ticks - no clue why that happens, though. When I tried refreshing the simulation (initially by removing a plate and adding it back, then by using the refresh button once I'd added it), the cooldown time was different for each run, and possibly sometimes it never stabilized. Now the simulator waits until both have stopped decreasing, and the results are much more consistent.

I'm sorry, but I don't have the patience to watch a 54-minute tutorial video. I found some other posts and figured out how to make it output in Hu/s instead of EU/t (though I haven't quite figured out how to make the fluid port work so I can use an LHE and Stirling Generator), and as far as I can tell the Hu/s output is simply double the amount of heat dissipated by vents, but complications like heat exchangers can cause that value to fluctuate.

Now in v1.1 I've added automatic simulation as components are added and removed, a "Clear Grid" button, details of heat output, and a code field to make it easier to share reactor designs.

I wanted to also allow pasting codes/urls from the old reactor planner, but those seem to be encrypted.