Posts by MauveCloud

not encrypted just a hash of some type.. you just have to reverse enginere it some :/

I did, but it's too complicated to use without permission from an apparently closed-source program - Talonius's post about it doesn't include a source link or even specify the licensing as far as I can tell :( , and Talonius hasn't posted here in almost two years, so I wouldn't expect to get a response if I sent a PM asking for permission. There's also the small issue of what to do about reactor components from that planner that no longer exist in the latest version of IC2, like the heating cell and I think the depleted isotope cell.

Any other feedback on my planner?

Well then the suggestion should be deprecating the old cell, or changing the UniCell into something more distinguishable from the normal cell.

Making the ufc more distinguishable from the normal empty cell can be done with a texture/resource pack if necessary (and people like me who already use a resource pack won't benefit from changes to the mod's internal textures), but I don't understand the logic behind making the sneak-right-click to transfer to/from a machine's tank only work with ufcs. Seems to me like that should work with regular cells as well, at least when the fluid can be stored in a regular cell (fluids added by other mods seem to show up with ufcs in nei, but not regular-cell versions) and there's enough fluid (when transfering out of the machine) or space (when transfering into the machine) to handle a full 1000 mB (since regular cells can't store partial amounts the way ufcs can).

However, I think there are only 2 things that can be stored in regular cells and not ufcs: compressed air and electrolyzed water. Now I'm wondering if regular cells are deprecated and IC2 will be migrating to using ufcs exclusively.

Installing the latest versions of those didn't seem to work at first, but then I remembered (or maybe realized - not sure whether I actually knew about it before) that all BC/Forestry engines require a redstone signal to run, not just the redstone engine :pinch: . However, when I went near a village, Millenaire started spamming my chat with error messages, so I rolled back to the versions I had been using before (BC 6.0.18, Forestry 3.1.1.4) and restored a backup save I had done just beforehand, and with those and a lever to activate the electrical engine, it worked fine.

I guess the Buildcraft wiki is out of date as well then.
    Given that I've already built an mfsu and nuclear reactor, I was hoping I'd be able to use the electrical engine to power a thermionic fabricator and then a managed multifarm of oak and birch trees, since Millenaire village projects tend to require a lot of those kinds of wood. Since that doesn't work (when I tried it, it intermittently showed a message about being out of fuel, but I thought the electrical engine only took EU, not fuel), perhaps you could suggest an engine type to build to power such a fabricator, preferably one that doesn't require a lot of extra machines to process items into usable fuel, even if it's less efficient.

After my above edits, I removed GregTech from my list, plus a few others I decided weren't worth it, like MAtmos and the shader pack, and started a new game. Now I'm not so sure Forestry was such a good suggestion for going with IC2 - the electrical engine from it doesn't seem to work with the latest version of IC2 (at least connected via cables, I haven't tried putting my energypack into it), and based on recent posts in the Forestry thread at minecraftforum.net, it seems to have switched from using MJ to using RF, which means that BuildCraft engines probably wouldn't work either.

The main problem is to get enough distilled water to run the turbines all the time... 40 Solar distilleries can't keep up. Not even close to keeping up.

I think in mementh's design, he used condensers and fluid regulators to convert the steam back to distilled water after it went through the turbines and send it back to the first turbine of each steam assembly, so it shouldn't be necessary to send distilled water in constantly from solar distilleries.

I like the idea of this mod, but I can't confirm the world generation works (using v0.7) - I can see the iridium ore block (and the crushed and centrifuged forms of the ore) in NEI, so I'm pretty sure the mod is installed properly, but I used a mining laser to dig tunnel mines at layers 12-14 around 800-1000 blocks long, first in unexplored territory of a single-player survival world that was started without it installed, then in a fresh creative-mode world, and I didn't see a single iridium ore block as I went (and I use 128x textures from bdcraft.net, which means the 16x texture would have been easy to notice). If I'm interpreting the decompiled code correctly (I might not be, since I've never tried to write a mod myself), it generates 25 size-3 clusters per chunk (for the overworld, I don't have mining world installed), distributed between layers 0 and 20, so I should have seen a few of them in my tunnel mines.

Another alternative is to install Advanced Solar Panels and build the molecular converter, which can use 9 million EU to convert an iron ingot into an iridium ore piece.

Edit: apparently Advanced Solar Panels conflicts with Millenaire, so I installed Iridium Mod. However, as far as I could tell, my attempts to use World Generation Manager to re-run the world generation from Iridium Mod for chunks I had already visited didn't work, so I'll have to find some chunks I haven't visited before.

Second Edit: I'm having trouble confirming that Iridium Mod v0.7 actually works even with a new game, and I've posted in that thread about it. (HappySpanker, are you maybe using an older version of Iridium Mod?)

The percentage rarity depends a lot on how many other mods you have that add loot to dungeons and strongholds, because they're specified as weights for the random generation, but I can tell you some relative rarities. I looked at my TooMuchLoot config (which iirc I haven't modified from initial generation), and by default iridium appears (in stacks of 1-2) about 1/5 as often as tin ingots in dungeon chests, but 20 times as often as golden apples (golden apples have weight 1, iridium has weight 20, tin has weight 100). In stronghold chests iridium has weight 1, and appears in stacks of 1-4 in the stronghold corridor chests, and stacks of 1 in the stronghold crossing chests.

Okay, I stand corrected on that point. However, I believe the increased output of mox fuel is based on the amount of heat in the reactor relative to its maximum, rather than absolute heat, which means the plating in the first reactor isn't allowing the mox fuel to generate more heat than it could in a non-plated reactor. As far as runaway/meltdown, as long as those 60k coolant cells get swapped out before they break (and with the reactor switched off while swapping), the heat level of the first reactor won't change.

Based on the captions, it looks like the first one is for heating up 60k coolant cells to put in the second reactor (which has no uranium cells) to get heat output, which is then put into coolant and passed to steam turbines. I'm not sure how the first reactor got to 79% heat though, the 60k coolant cells should be absorbing the heat from the quad uranium cells, not leaving any heat to get to the reactor.

Edit: looked closer at the pictures, and I think that's mox fuel in the first reactor (rather than uranium), so presumably it was preheated to get more output from it, but iirc mox fuel has higher EU/t output in an EU-style reactor based on the reactor heat, but the heat output by mox fuel is unaffected by the reactor heat, regardless of which reactor type you make. I was going to suggest EU-style for the first reactor, but then I remembered that components heated in one type of reactor can't be cooled in the other type.

I got it working by counting down from 255 for the entity ids in mars.conf.

Edit: I started my survival game last night, but I came across a structure right near my initial spawn point that had some densely-populated chests in it, which would have been balanced by the indestructible (at least as far as I could tell) monster spawners nearby if I wasn't playing in peaceful mode. It looked like some ruins, so I pulled the Ruins mod, but that didn't get rid of it, so I also pulled the New Dungeons mod which did eliminate it. (I re-created my world both times using the New Dawn world type and my username as the random seed)

Further Edit (presuming that post bumps are frowned upon): I ran into some trouble with Black Granite from GregTech - on my 4k TV it's very hard to see, even with the contrast set to 100 and the Gammabright mod installed and cranked up to 1500% (which is partly an issue with the quality of my TV). I figured out how to disable black granite in WorldGeneration.cfg, though I've come across a couple of other things I'm not happy about (which I don't see easy ways to deal with via config):
    1. NEI won't show me the recipe for the standard IC2 solar panel, so I'm guessing it's disabled with GregTech installed, but that means I won't be able to build Compact Solars.
    2. I read in the Q/A of the main GregTech post that GT machines can't take power via IC2 cables or from IC2 energy storage blocks. I'll take Greg's word for it that supporting them would cause lag, but I have to wonder whether GT really still qualifies as an IC2 addon when that conflict exists.

At the moment, I'm also a little overwhelmed by the number of materials and machines added by GregTech: e.g. 77 different plate types I can use to make a file? I'm also puzzled that I apparently could make a file with lead plates (according to NEI at least), but not with tin plates. Given enough time, I could probably get used to that, though.

I've also come across a detail of the New Dawn mod that I'm not entirely happy about: the beaches tend to have much less accessible sand (i.e. that doesn't require getting into the water to dig out) compared to the default worldgen's beach biome.

Pretty sure NEI has the option to dump free biome and entity IDs (it used to do block and item IDs too), so you could always do that. God was it useful back when we had ID conflicts (and bugs that meant any world generated block needed to be below ID 256).

:S NEI tools menu shows dump buttons for biomes, blocks, enchantments, items, item panel details, and potions, but there's nothing for creatures/entities as far as I can tell.

Okay, there's one argument against using any of them, thank you for that.

I'm having some trouble getting Galacticraft Planets working at the moment, though - with it enabled in MultiMC, Minecraft crashes with a message about entity id 174 already being defined - I found that mars.conf by default uses that id for the Sludgeling, but I don't know which other mod is defining something with that id (from what I can find, entity id 174 isn't used by vanilla Minecraft), or how to get a list of which entity ids have been defined (including by installed mods) so that I can find some unused entity ids to put in mars.conf. A way to get a list of biome ids would be good too - I don't currently plan to use Biomes O Plenty (I'm using New Dawn instead), but I ran into some biome id conflicts a while ago when I tried to install both BoP and Twilight Forest.

Apparently my internet connection is still up for now (which I'm a little confused about).

I think you might be mistaken about not being able to download EER yet. The download link in the first post of the EER thread 404s, but try the link in this post of the thread: http://www.minecraftforum.net/…xchange-reborn?comment=31

I'm still holding off on downloading it myself in case somebody can explain how and why it's better than competing mods like AetherCraft or Balanced Exchange (or why one of those is better, as the case may be).

I saw that it was possible to build bases, I guess I was just being paranoid about how long I would have to do so. If it was as tight as 10 minutes with two heavy oxygen tanks, I think people would be complaining about that instead of recommending the mod. I've downloaded Galacticraft and the Galacticraft Planets addon (and of course the Micdoodle Core).

I've gone ahead and downloaded Rei's minimap for now, but I'm still hoping for more details to help me decide between Project-E and some of the competing mods, and it's less important when I'm using GregTech to get worldgen iridium ore, but I'm still curious about the best way to get iridium ore using only IC2exp (I know I have to find some in a dungeon chest first, but after that would it be easier/faster to look for more dungeon chests or to scan it and use a mass fabricator and replicator?).

Side note: the apartment complex where I live will be shutting down the telecommunications for maintenance in a little under an hour (and possibly keeping them down for up to 7 hours :( ), so I won't be able to respond to other suggestions or questions until after that. I plan to do some other things in the meantime, but if I get too tired or (unlikely) run out of other things to do, I might start an offline game with just the mods I've downloaded so far, instead of waiting for more suggestions.

I've looked at parts of the videos, and I see the HUD you speak of (until I'd watched the videos, I was sort of expecting it to be somewhat like the IC2 scuba helmet that uses up compressed air cells, and I'd only see how many I had left if I viewed my inventory or had them in my hotbar), but one thing I'm having trouble determining from the videos or wiki: how long do the different sizes of oxygen tanks actually last? If two heavy oxygen tanks only last 10 minutes or less real-time, I think that would be too nerve-wracking for me.