Posts by Lurch1985

This would be a valid option. I can easyly code something like this, yet it's extremely secure (hell, you have 9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1*[numberOfAllItems&Blocks] possible "passwords").

This could possibly be a good system to use as teleporter "keys" rather than the system that's currently in development. It's pretty much the same as the one the Runecraft mod uses except it only had 4 blocks to use. 9 is basically uncrackable. (although maybe a little hard to remember) :D

Not much point when you can make yourself a trusty Quantum helmet, which does everything that you've outlined above (except for the needing air cells, you just charge it up)

Or just haven't tried. I don't see how something like this is any different than the dozens of mods we already use that do crazy things.

I'm not a coder, I'm just the sound guy, lol. I'm only speculating with the information I have available to me. That's why I said we need a coder to confirm it.

You'd be amazed at the restrictions imposed on certain things in the code. For modders, it's all about trying to work around the limitations of the engine rather than adding stuff easily as the developers can. I only know about these from working with Player on the sound implementation and conversations with a few friends that work in game design. For example, it's almost completely impossible to make a sound play when a machine finishes an operation. Now I know it seems silly, but that's an example of one of the things that's pointlessly difficult. I can only surmise that the Timberrr issue is similar.

I was recently playing with this a mag can do twenty above and below how ever if you hit it you will stop moving, and hitting shift will slow you down. the best I have found to do this is at the bottom place one below ground then 40 fences up place another at that point get off at a little transfer area and get back on it above for another 40, this is a good thing tho because you can fly right off the pole when going fast and land kinda painfully.

If you make a magnetizer powered from the bottom that goes up 20 blocks, this will shoot you up an additional 10 or so blocks, you can then put another one to catch you higher up, meaning you can get a little more bang for your buck with 2 magnetisers. Should get about 50 blocks

This way, you can get from bedrock to the roof of the world with 3 magnetisers and one changeover station.

Note: I havn't got round to testing this yet, but the theory should be sound. :)

As far as I can tell, there is no SMP mod available that makes trees fall in this way. I didn't look into it that far, but there are no server side packages for either Timberrr or Treecipitator. My guess is that it's not able to be implemented for SMP, but would need one of the coders to verify that.

If it is the case that it won't work, then I very much doubt it will be implemented as SMP is a major goal for the team and implementing a feature that doesn't work in SMP seems like a bit of a waste of time imo.

For the record, I'd love to see the chainsaw working like this, but I'm not holding high hopes for it.

EDIT: After looking into it a little more, I see there is a bukkit plugin that makes trees work in this way, but that seems to be the only way to do it. I imagine if it was possible to implement this without using bukkit, someone would already have done it.

The fence models are very obvious. They're just placeholders. The actual cable could be much less obtrusive. I think it would be good to keep them visable at least a little at all times. I don't like the idea of phantom blocks lying around.

Howdy.

Been reading a few peoples suggestions for the forcefield and I thought I'd throw my own mishmash of stolen ideas together into one place. :D

My idea for the forcefield is completely different to the original design. Using a cable like device to create the shape of the field, much like dropping down buildcraft markers, only with the added ability of making complex shapes (well, as complex as minecraft can manage anyway).

The Screeny below shows the rough idea for the implementation. When the Forcefield 'cable' is laid down and then powered, it produces a field marked out by the black outline. As you can see, it would have to encompass the entire forcefield device as well to make it griefproof.

The black arrows in the middle indicate the checks that would be carried out by the 'ForceFence' to dictate whether or not it will turn on. If a corresponding fence block is in range and it is also powered, then a field will be produced. I would probably limit this to a certain amount to prevent massive fields that span the whole map, lol. Probably about 20-30 blocks or so? Or maybe smaller and require another 'ForceFence' to re-emit the field.

The field would cover the entire area shown inside the black lines. Think of it as replacing every block within, and including the fence blocks with a forcefield block (Only the texture would obviously be transparent and you could see your wiring beneath). This makes a forcefield box completely impenetrable.

For power consumption, I would probably work it something like a high resistance cable. i.e. it 'loses/costs' 5 eu/block but it will turn on the forcefield. I havn't done any math to support this number, but feel free to speculate. Based on the amount of cable required by this design, it may need to be a lot lower, compared to the old teleporter that is.

Although I like the idea. I'm also with the thinking that this isn't a very industrial type item.

Metal grates for floor panels that you can see your wiring underneath on the other hand would be awesome. We already have the iron fences for railing. Would give it that proper factory feel. :)

It's because MCForge interferes with how Optifine works. Doesn't matter what way around you install them, minecraft will run, but you will have buggy textures. There's not a damn thing we can do about it, short of maybe bugging the optifine creator to move to forge.

how about how long it takes to mine? I mean, with the diamond drill and laser, you cant stop anyone in pvp. Maybe iridium should take awhile.

Maybe laser only? and you have to use long range or something to break it, so it requires extra energy (and the long range still only breaks the one block).

With a mining drill, it should take at least 10 seconds, maybe 15 to drill out.

Killing a pig with a mining laser should produce cooked pork. imo

I noticed in Direwolf20's letsplay that he got cooked pork from using hte mining laser on pigs, but only if it a) sets them on fire and b) the pig dies by the fire, not the mining laser damage. It would be handy if the laser counted as fire dmg for killing all mobs, as the cows will be dropping beef now in 1.8.