Posts by Lurch1985

I'd strongly approve of this. Not nearly enough internal testing going on and the communication is poorly organised. I know a lot of guys think of this as a hobby, but I prefer to take a professional approach to everything I do, hobbies included. It just feels like the entire project could benefit from a more close knit team. Would save us having to manage so many bug reports on the forum as the major ones would be squashed before going live.

For example, I was a little unhappy that version 1.0 went live in the state that it was in, mostly because of my sounds being so buggy. I never even got a chance to test them on an internal release, they just went straight up, untested. The reason this bothers me, is because it makes me look like a bad sound man, even if I'm doing my job right. I for one would like to submit this as a portfolio piece for any future work I have in this field, and that sort of low quality release packages irk the hell out of me.

I understand that it's nice to get all the work you've done out and being enjoyed, but here's the kicker, rushing stuff out is for small dev companies that are getting pressured by the bigwigs because the budget is running out. As there is no budget, the fans get it when it's READY, not when they want it. You may think you'll lose fans, but frankly, you lose a lot more fans when they play a buggy game and give up after 20 minutes playing. We don't hear from all of these 20 minute players, as they will never post on our forums. These are the players we need to keep, as these silent folk make up the majority of the player base.

Feel free to criticise my approach here, but this is a bit of a pioneering mod in the minecraft community and when minecraft goes live to the shops, there is a huge ocean of potential revenue there to reward you for all the lovely work you've done. You can call me greedy if you want, but I like to get rewarded for the work I've done and I think you all should too. While I love doing this sort of job, the satisfaction of a job well done, doesn't pay the bills and I don't plan to work in a bookshop the rest of my life.

Overall, what you can take from this, is you should run this entire project more like a business. Obviously not the strictness or beaurocracy, but take a few key ideas from the business model and make it work for us. This project has so much potential. It would be so great if that potential was maximised to the fullest and the only people with that power are us, as a team.

Sometimes, if minecraft runs out of memory, OpenAL will crash, causing minecraft to enter silent mode. Happened to us a few times when testing new sound code.

Restarting minecraft should fix it. If you run the game from commandline, then you should be able to see what happens in the command prompt.

I always found the recipe book had too many pages to be useful. Spent more time flicking through it than actually reading recipes. There's another mod called Crafting Book that is much handier. Can't remember the coder. It lets you put an item in one slot and then it tells you everything you can make with that item. As you normally have a rough idea what things include, it's much faster to get through than the recipe book.

No it won't, unless he writes either his own version of it or makes IC dependant on RedPower Core (which won't happen I bet).
    Elo's coverplates work only with her RP wires and nothing else. The question if they can be used for BC pipes comes up quite often and the answer is always the same.
    But Al's idea is good idea too, some platic blob you put around the cable so it becomes a normal block again and then the obfuscator thing can change the look of that block.

I'd love to see the plate idea in action. How about making it an addon with a dependancy if possible? Although I'm sure it would be much prefered to have at least something to cover them in the base IC package.

I like al's idea too though. The both end up with the same effect, so it doesn't matter terribly which one gets implemented. I'd say, go for the easiest one to implement. :)

all you need next is just a setup for an auto tree farm and your set. (BTW can make those)

You can make them with Buildcraft as well. Using an on/off switch. Had a great one on Industrial Rage. It used a filler to harvest the trees and a builder template to plant the saplings. Simple water transport and obsidian pipe to collect, then wood sorted to chests and sapling re-sent to the builder.

Finally, a simple redstone circuit to power them.

Can't remember who made it (think it was Superzip), but it was very clever.

He probably means he used the wool as a burn away breaker. running a redpower wire across it, when the wool burns away, teh wire breaks, stopping the signal which triggeres another wire to send a signal to the reactor. Basically a heat failsafe that has to be manually reset by the user.

Clever idea. Kinda got it from the OP, but well articulated. :)

No offence dude, but that doesn't make any sense at all. Lightning strikes are extremely rare. Getting shocked by a cable is extremely easy (build batbox -> build generator -> be overpowered in uber armour meganess).

It just doesn't work from a design perspective. Not to mention the fact that it is supposed to be a NEGATIVE factor to make you think about your wiring.. Not a buff.

Also, iron is extremely lossy. If glass fibre can travel 20 blocks before losing 1 EU, I sure as hell am sticking with it because I never even think about beginning to set up a base until I have a full inventory's worth of raw mined materials.

Yes, Iron is very lossy, but it's really only for HV current. And seeing as no other cable can take it, it is still way more efficient to send large packets with high loss than small packets with small loss. Should do the math before criticising the system. :)

Quantum suit helmet already has underwater breathing. Nanosuit now has no extra features other than the 100% damage resistance.

Macerators already grind cobblestone into sand, and as it's essentially an infinite resource with a cobblefarm, then it's a bit of a pointless addition. You already get double your ore yeild from macerators. I think getting additional blocks is a little greedy, don't you? :)