Posts by narc

Oh, I guess that was the FML version.

Hrm. Chunk loading sounds like a reasonable guess -- at the very least, it's worth trying to anchor those chunks to see what happens.

It would also be good to have someone else who runs an IC2 server see if they can reproduce it. I may try it myself, if I don't forget.

Well, every Programmer has his favorite Programminglanguage and knows (at least a bit) how to use it. ;)

That is 100% true.

I for myself like Java, because its much easier to make Computergames with it (what i'm actually planning for this Semestervacation), other than C, C++ or C#, which all three need a special Case for every single OS, and also perfect handling of all the saved Variables (what is a terribly huge Errorsource).

Have you played around with Python at all? I've been looking at it (and pygame) with game-making in mind and, as far as I've been able to go, it seems far more powerful and quick (both in programmer time and CPU time) than I would've expected. Give it a try, you might like it.

And now back to the OP:
    Is it possible to make it at least decompilable?

I'm rather curious, as well. Also, what prompted this non-standard implementation?

The setting "Enable daylight saving time automatically" in Profile->Settings->General fails to do the correct thing on my system. I live in UTC+2, +DST currently, for effective UTC + 3, but the timestamps the forum shows me are one hour earlier than they should be (exactly as if DST wasn't being applied).

Any idea what's going on? It's not a big deal, but can be occasionally confusing.

I said "should" and not "must". Of course that Feature has a Sense, but only for small Datastructures.

Understood. It just felt a little more absolute than that on first read.

Thats why there is no GOTO in Java.

That misses the point -- the choice of not having a GOTO keyword doesn't actually mitigate spaghetti code in and of itself, whereas promoting good coding style and providing ways of achieving the same goals in a more readable fashion does. The example was given as one of a sweeping generalization that was misapplied.

Inner Classes can be used to make a better internal Datastructure, without adding new Classfiles. Its good for small things like ArrayLists or BinaryTrees, but its not a good Idea to make large Inner Classes (for readability and decompilability), when its still possible to use just a new File (What is also better for Versioning Systems like Git).
    [...]
    In [this] case its just undecompilable, so there went something wrong.

That's still making the assumption the inner classes being discussed here are large or unreadable. They don't decompile, but allowing them to do so may not have ever been a priority (or even desired at all). We'd also still be assuming there aren't other reasons for this design decision. Since we haven't seen the code, we can't really say.

On the other hand, that's getting a bit too meta for me, and I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the language in as much as you are probably right that they could be avoided in this case.

Let's describe that specific Feature with Fun:
    YO DAWG, i heared you like Classes, so we put Classes in your Classes so that you can be Objectorientative, while being Objectorientative.

Okay, that made me laugh. Thanks for that.

As a programmer, I'm always wary of sweeping pronouncements like "this language feature MUST NEVER be used". It's strongly reminiscent of the decades-old argument that started with "GOTO considered harmful". Being a lazy bastard, I won't look up the history of that particular mess, but it's worth noting the Jargon File mentions "The structured-programming wars eventually blew over with the realization that both sides were wrong[...]".

In my opinion, any language feature has its intended use case and any sweeping generalization along the lines of "this is never a good idea" is overstating the point rather harshly. Something may be inadvisable, undesirable, confusing or even just simply backwards, but that doesn't mean anyone can say, without looking at a specific example thereof, whether or not it is misused.

All that being said, as I've never really looked at Java seriously, I can't speak to the relative merits of the specific language features mentioned in this argument. But I'd be surprised if Java were such a poor language as to include features that are harmful no matter where they were used.

Well, I'm stumped. You've got a couple of extra mods I don't, but none that should make any impact on this. All I can say is it's not happening for me, so something's broken.

Things you have that I don't: Steve's Carts, Laser Mod, Magic Yarn, Compact Solars, Extra Bees, Timber, and Worldedit Client UI. Everything else you have, I also have.

If you're feeling up to it, you can try removing all of those and seeing if it helps at all. Another option is to rebuild your minecraft.jar from scratch, using different install orders for the mods that go in there (MultiMC helps a lot with this, if you don't already have it). For reference, my install order is: Forge, Optifine, CodeChickenCore, NEI. Swapping Optifine and Forge should also work.

Rick is on vacation. Get him passinglurker ! Get him !

Hope you don't mind that I'm not passinglurker, but:

[...]Rules:
    -No useless eff 1, low eu/cost etc.[...]

holy wall of text batman... Not even going to try and read that as it's basically unreadable as it. You may want to edit the thing and use this newfangled keyboard key called "return" or "enter" to add some line breaks.

I like reading things like that out loud in one, long, very quick, almost monotone sentence, pausing for breath as rarely as possible. People who hear how it sounds are sometimes enlightened...

A lot of people have had trouble with Forge build 164. I'm not sure why so many folks jump to the latest non-recommended build and don't expect trouble with it.

Now, if you can reproduce this issue with Forge build 152 (recommended), then we might talk again. If that one works, you can also try 160, which fixes 152's problem with InvTweaks while still being fairly stable (on my system -- your mileage may vary).

I have to admit I haven't done any quarrying in my latest serious game -- made Mystcraft ages of dense ores instead and harvested things manually. I actually had to make an explicit copper run because I had far more tin than copper at one point. I do recall swimming in copper from previous games, but I didn't have RP2 at the time.

When I end up with tons of excess again, I'll probably use it to make tons of brass, which I'll turn into stacks and stacks of frames. Which will sit in a chest somewhere. I'm lazy.

I've done the opposite: left only IC2's ore gen and turned off copper and tin from Forestry and Redpower. It... still leaves some excess, but it feels reasonably balanced. I've got more trouble with silver, honestly.

Don't mind me, just butting in for a sec.

[...]So as I have made claim, supported by sengir's own words: the technic team did try to contact sengir, he ignored them, and he never contacted them to have it removed.
    Do you agree to that interpretation, or do you believe he meant something else by that comment?

Somewhat -- "ignored" is uncertain: I understood that their sole attempted contact was an attempt to send money, which (as per Sengir's statement) was declined. It can be assumed that, in declining, Sengir also asked that Forestry be removed from Technic, but this is not at all certain based solely on the linked post. Aside from this question, though, it's obviously true (by his own admission) that Sengir didn't start any communication attempts himself.

[...]Awesome speed reading skills there. That's 5th post on the 16th page back from the end of a 266 page thread. 5 seconds is about 2000-3000 words a second?
    Commendable computer setup as well, I can't even get it to load a page per 5 seconds.

That's disingenuous. I imagine some use of the search function, using such keywords as "technic" was involved. As of this time, doing that exact search yields the linked post as the second search result. Not quite five seconds, but it sure didn't take any longer than thirty.

I didn't really get any graphical lag in your workshop, instead had some issues with your "Mainworld 2", which I suspect is because it's a mushroom biome and I was on the surface for a while. Different computers, heh.

I will admit I also didn't install Minechem at all, so I missed out on any awesome stuff you may have done with that mod.

One thing of note: your base looked bigger in the screenshots -- it wasn't until I walked around it myself that I really realized how compact everything is.

Overall impression: very nice!