The indestructible MFSU (moved from Engineering)

• Moved from Engineering due to being in the wrong subforum, my apologies

Hey all,

Things have been going well for my chums & I on our little SMP server, well enough that our miner now runs off of an MFSU fueled with a single lapotron crystal, instead of two geothermal generators chewing up lava cells that require unending Nether trips to pump out. When we tried to move it, however, we hit a snag. It absolutely refuses to dismantle. Using a fully charged electric wrench and lap-pack, I've tried right-clicking the output face, right-clicking every OTHER face, and from all different angles. I've tried double-right-clicking all the faces. I've tried sneak-right-clicking all the faces. I've even tried sneak-double-right-clicking all the faces, and I've done this entire process both with the MFSU wired and unwired.

I've done this both while the MFSU contained a bit of power, and while it as empty. Neither slot contained any items. I've tried it with the electric wrench on lossless mode and non-lossless mode. Absolutely nothing will make the MFSU come down. At the moment, we're getting around the problem by temporarily switching to creative mode, punching the MFSU out of existence and picking up a replacement from the item list, but it's one hell of an annoying bug(?) nonetheless. Any suggestions here?

• Try making a regular wrench, non electric. I've had this happen before : it's THAT wrench that is bugged. If you make a new electric wrench, it will also work.

• Sorry for the late reply, reality got in my way last night and I forgot to check back.

Forge version is 2.2.48.135, I updated the server for IC² 1.97. Should I get a newer Forge build? The other two mods on the server are Train-and-Zeppelin mod 2.09 and Railcraft 5.3.3, all of which are at least allegedly inter-compatible.

Tried replacing the electric wrench; same problem. Tried using a regular bronze wrench; same problem. It's also worth noting that this ALSO occurs with the MV transformer I use so the miner doesn't overload, although not the LV transformer since that can of course be safely dismantled with a pickaxe/drill. Grrrm.

• Actually I was looking at the wrong version number anyway. The actual Forge version is 3.3.7.135, client and server.

Also, additional testing. After placing the MFSU down in a new spot, I discovered that suddenly I could dismantle it perfectly fine. I tried various ways to get it "stuck," but to no avail. Then, I had an idea: I placed the MFSU down again, powered it up with a RE-battery as if I was going to start the miner, the re-drained the power. Then, I ran completely out of the miner's chunk range, to the other side of our currently-explored area, waited a bit, even logged out and back in. When I returned to the miner, I found that the MFSU and transformer were once again stuck, so it seems as though it's something to do with chunk loading/unloading, yes? If that's the case I can try making a RailCraft world anchour to keep the chunks loaded and prevent the problem.

• Oh, I guess that was the FML version.

Hrm. Chunk loading sounds like a reasonable guess -- at the very least, it's worth trying to anchor those chunks to see what happens.

It would also be good to have someone else who runs an IC2 server see if they can reproduce it. I may try it myself, if I don't forget.

• Yeah fair 'nuff. Plus, having the chunks loaded permanently will mean that the miner will keep working even if I'm far away from it, so there's that. I know my server can handle quite a few of these, especially since we're usually not far away from where I'd place them anyway, so I may stick a few in key industrial areas.

Oh and yes, I believe I was looking at the FML version. Oops :]

• Have you tried pressing Alt and then trying to wrench it (note: I don't mean hold Alt while wrenching, Press Alt and let go THEN wrench).

Holding Alt while wrench makes it move the output side around randomly (like the RP screwdriver) and if you press Alt and tab to change window then minecraft will often act as if Alt in still held down when you go back to it (because it doesnt get the Alt released event). Pressing Alt will fix that issue

• Official Post

Holding Alt while wrench makes it move the output side around randomly (like the RP screwdriver)

WHAAAAT??? Is that somewhere listed in the Wiki or at least in a Changelog?

Since MC 1.2.5 i had also Problems with stucking Keys (I think its maybe a Forgebug), when i release a Key at the same time as i release a Mousebutton, what caused my death several times, while fighting against Mobs. (still moving forward + pressing Backwardkey == stand still)

• It's because the window loses focus before the alt key is released, therefore the window doesn't get the key up message. Java should really use a better way of detecting key state changes :p

• It's because the window loses focus before the alt key is released, therefore the window doesn't get the key up message. Java should really use a better way of detecting key state changes :p

Getting off topic here but this isn't exactly a Java problem, it's more of a Windows problem. Kinda how a key can be sorta "stuck" on in software. Happens with me from time to time with the shift and windows keys. Sometimes whacking the key a bunch of times in succession helps, others it takes a yanking of the keyboard or a reboot.

• Official Post

Getting off topic here but this isn't exactly a Java problem, it's more of a Windows problem. Kinda how a key can be sorta "stuck" on in software. Happens with me from time to time with the shift and windows keys. Sometimes whacking the key a bunch of times in succession helps, others it takes a yanking of the keyboard or a reboot.

Its not a Windowsproblem its a Minecraftproblem. If the Game would check every tick, if a Key is still pressed, then we wouldnt have such problems (and that is not causing lag!). So its Mojangs fault to use that updatebased function.

P.S. this will also happen on Linuxderivates. And Apple uses a Nonstandard-Java, so i dont know about that.

• Its not a Windowsproblem its a Minecraftproblem. If the Game would check every tick, if a Key is still pressed, then we wouldnt have such problems (and that is not causing lag!). So its Mojangs fault to use that updatebased function.

P.S. this will also happen on Linuxderivates. And Apple uses a Nonstandard-Java, so i dont know about that.

It's not a MineCraft problem. Try updating lwjgl.