Posts by inucune

this too shall pass.

from what i can tell, the game have been streamlined quite a bit in the latest update, and while it may be a bit of a headache for modders right now, in the long run it should pan out.
    Given how close we are to Halloween, i think this is the 'big update' for the year as far as vanilla players are concerned.
    As for modders, I have yet to find anyone screaming 'leave minecraft vanilla.' The playerbase really does support what you guys do, and i don't think Jeb and the rest of Mojang are oblivious to the modders. Things like modding bring in revenue for them(follow the almighty dollar) in the long run because people see all the cool things you can do with the game, and as such go out and buy it. If they were honestly working against modding, they would run a file integrity check on the program every time you ran it, and that would be the end of that.

so once again: this too, shall pass.

:Nuke TNT::Nuke TNT::Nuke TNT:
    **HASH MATCH****
    DECODING IN PROGRESS...COMPLETE!
    PRINTING MESSAGE:

This is an Emergency Broadcast from Industrial Command STOP
    listening post 7 has been lost STOP
    Herobrine has been detected STOP
    His army is armed with unknown weapons and armor STOP
    Alkaba's location is unknown STOP
    All facilities are to convert operations into full war production STOP
    This is not a drill STOP
    All facilites are to immediately convert operations into full war production STOP
    In addition, all facilites are to Arm for both collective and individual nuclear option STOP
    This is not a drill STOP
    All facilities are to prepare for possible nuclear option STOP
    This transmission will repeat every hour STOP
    Reports will be made as further information becomes available STOP
    END TRANSMISSION

as the current experimental e-net is, i don't care for it. it isn't the cables, it is the storage blocks. you used to be able to pipe in the eu limit per side. now it is cumulative. IE 32 eu max from any source into a batbox, and so on.
    this becomes difficult with generators that fluctuate the amount of power they output, especially in tandem. i just blew up a cesu because i had one line running 128eu/t to it from a reactor, while a line from my passive generators was supplying 12eu/t.
    this adds a bit too much rigidity to power grids. all my power basically now has to be routed to a single storage block, and has to be less than that block's max intake. i then have to step it through my base, with no auxiliary power feeds in.

so rather than rant and run, i'm going to make a suggestion: capacitors.
    a capacitor would be a transformer-storage hybrid. it would accept up to 1 tier above it's output(cumulative), and would buffer the excess energy(appropriate for it's tier) when space is available. functionally, it would be no different than putting a batbox directly behind a transformer, with one exception...if it's capacity is exceeded, it will stop working rather than blow up...unless a full 2 tiers of excess power is applied (ie 512+ to a 32 eu capacitor). this block would need to be manually reset by the player in the block's gui(no redstone reset). The capacitor would then start blinking and/or buzzing. a circuit breaker is something i have long wanted to see in IC2. redstone behavior would be emit if storage is empty, breaker is tripped, eu in storage, internal storage full, power is entering and/or leaving, etc. optionally, the capacitor may heat up and trip if the internal storage is full for too long. a display in the gui as to why it was tripped could be useful aswell.

*mod-setup* w/ nuclear control.

so i just tossed two mox cells in a reactor with a reactor vent. the cells are vertical-adjacent in the bottom with the vent at the top of the reactor. scram at 8k (redstone torch 'nor' gate). reactor is cranking at 84 eu/t 2 on, 4 off second intervals.
    added 3 more R-vents... 6 on, 2 off, same output.
    since i was taking damage, i lowered the scram to 6990(threshold). output dropped to 76 eu/t...but is serviceable.
    the concept of this setup was that i could let the reactor heat up with no cooling, it would turn off at temp, i put in the 4 vents, and it will run fairly efficiently. it would also be a cheap(er) build.
    i do not recommend using the remote detector, as it is very energy hungry while the thermal monitor doesn't require any energy, and since reactors are no longer cooled by surrounding water (i checked, not re-implemented), having it adjacent shouldn't be an issue.
    this obviously would not go over well in the 'official' reactor design thread, but these things run on automation IRL for a reason...

I think you guys are misusing the RTG. when i first saw the RTG, my thought was to use it for my satellite bases. plant one in the nether next to a bat box for when i'm there, same for The End. Rather than running a line under the streets of the town to power the luminators, a single RTG under each lamp, or lamp block set. I think it is supposed to be a portable power supply, since it would be easier to tear-down and move than some of the other options. once you are away from the overworld, power gen gets a little more tricky, especially in The End.

think of them as the fission batteries from Fallout.

has anyone figured out how to get the electric wrench to switch modes?
    BTW, most of the old recipes work, just replace refined iron with iron plate (hammered iron bar).

edit: nvm, i had a conflict in keybindings.

It would be great if the electric wrench icon somehow displayed whether the wrench was in lossless mode or not. The chat display doesn't always work or can leave screen before it can be read.
    a simple red dot or green dot in the icon would be enough, or it could glow like the nano saber.

thoughts anyone?

just updated to forge 737, and numerous mods along with. crash still happens, and the server peaks out on memory just before the crash.
    updated crash log:

edit:
    i just noticed something else. i can log out and back into the affected area fine as long as i do not close my minecraft client. if i restart my client, the glitch reappears.

edit:
    if i sign into a singleplayer world, exit, then sign into my server, i have no problem. this may be a temporary fix. i think this problem is slated off to too obscure for easy fix.

it is very glitchy in SMP. i currently have 7 portal frames in the overworld and 14 portal frames nether because of the compression glitch. many of these portals are on top of one another or protruding from each other, and they lead somewhere different every time. they also like to go out as soon as they are used, or end up shot by ghast and won't relight. players on the server are fed up with it and are asking me for a fix, but the best i can do is destroy all the frames and declare only 1 nether portal allowed on the server as the only solution.

i'm suggesting an alternative to the nether portal for dimensional travel.

Vanilla nether portal is broken. the main reason for this is because it has 2 blocks that you can technically use to teleport. the left side can lead to a completely different portal than the right, and it gets ugly from there.
    before you know it, you have 20 nether portals in a single chunk and they all lead somewhere else from the nether. you become ghast bait.

so why not have an industrial block similar to the teleporter that can be used to go to the nether? use a different (1 to 1) mechanic to teleport to and from the nether.

this is more a play-ability fix than anything else.

---possible ideas---
    just a piece of obsidian with a chip to craft it.
    a button on the block to operate.
    still have to build the frame, but each block in the frame takes you somewhere else in the nether, leaving an obsidian block with a button for the return trip.

of course the current teleporter could be reconfigured to be able to go different dimensions and solve the problem that way aswell.

I am unsure of what causes this crash or if it is even IC2 related, so i don't think it belongs in bug tracker yet.

This crash only happens when i log in while in a certain chunk(s) (My house, to be exact). once i have logged in, i can walk into and around the chunk(s) with no noticeable problems
    If i edit the server files and move my character away(horizontally, not vertically), i log in fine.
    Normally i can figure out what is causing a crash via the report, but this time it is too obscure for me.

if i may make a suggestion for a few additional features:

1st: i think the storage block for uranium should be a nonlethal/negligible amount of radiation, since it implies 'proper storage' methods are in use.

2nd: if you get enough uranium together in one area, it's going to go critical (bang). something around 200 refined bars or so. perhaps a larger amount for storage blocks.

3rd: containment pools. a few feet of water can make the material 'safer' to work with, and since many of us are in the habit of surrounding our reactors with water, this might give meaning to it again. ref: XKCD: what-if article on the subject

4th: reactors shouldn't put out any more than a nonlethal/negligible amount of rads. they are built to contain the radiation by design and already have damage in for when the get too hot and go super-critical.

5th/6th: i like the idea of the suit ticking, but a handheld Geiger counter would be nice for when mining (if that is the intention). perhaps add the resistance and functionality to the q-suit helmet as well, since it is supposed to be very advanced.

that's my input on the subject.