Posts by inucune

i think i could manage that power output...using a burst reactor line. assuming each reactor would only run for 1 or 2 ticks before a cool-down cycle. my limit at this point is tricky because the HV transformer has to be connected directly to the reactor, or i'll just burn the hv cable. each reactor 'pulses' when it reaches less than 10 heat, and pulse at different intervals. this would also cause the power to be a little more even, and sustained. the burst reactors would also need refueled less often, if ever (depending on how long you want to play).

if you can build that facility, a few of these reactors should be a breeze.

i don't think steam will work at all for this.

for the reactors...burst reactor

2 seconds is a safety threshold imo. throw more cells in if you want.

at 5360eu/t, 3 of these will meet your threshold, with excess
    214,400 eu per reactor pulse.

spam them (10+)

a small solar spam on top of the containment building(s), and you'd be set.

challenge completed.

the steam system is primarily part of Railcraft (and buildcraft by extention). it's a bit of a colaboration between ic and bc/rc.

i've got it! the reactor block itself could have 2 variations: the standard, and the steam reactor. functionally they are the same, except that the steam reactor only outputs steam (from heat), while the standard acts in normal IC fashion.

steam reactors should not be able to breed, and run at a lower temperature...perhaps making them cheaper, a bit weaker as far as temp thresholds.

the steam reactor should be like the firebox...in a 1X1, 2X2 or 3x3 configuration, starts with 3X3 gui space, but increases to 4X4, or 5x5. the gui should also have a water gauge. on the fence about a temp gauge, perhaps one that only displays up to 200? steam vessels attach to the top normally, and function the same as for boilers...perhaps higher temp would cause more steam consumption/production.
    lack of water, "dry fire" (the addition of water to a dry, hot boiler), or excessive heat causes it to blow up. the first two being smaller scale than the third.

in short, you'd be nuts to try and put a 4X4 uranium cell in it, but i doubt that'd stop people.

it is my opinion that the two should technically overlap, since a reactor is technically a steam boiler. unfortunately they are designed as two separate systems, and will most likely remain that way.

that said, i support the steam system as something to go for midgame, but it is a tad expensive when compared with the new reactors. right now, it makes a great transport system for potential power imo, and would make a great median between IC and BC energy.
    i would have built a steam rig as my pre-nuclear infrastructure had they been released during the old reactors.

i see room for an epic collaboration here between IC2 and RC/BC.

for many of us, it's a competition to create the smallest (or in my case, most complex) machine with the best outcome. i don't know why everyone cries foul for perpetual machines, since such devices would be the pinnacle of science. it's a challenge, and one with a reward when completed. i understand they cause some issues on servers, but if anyone can build them, then perhaps a little espionage is in order.

test the limits of what you can do! if not, go back to banging sticks with rocks rocks with sticks in vanilla. (that's a joke, btw)

ok, easy question. with the ports/updates over the next few weeks, and the obvious lack of supplies due to the late addition of mods...

Should I reset the server world?

I know that besides myself, there isn't much anyone has built quite yet (as far as i can tell, anyway). I also know that the biomes are a bit sketchy where i (and spawn) are at.

so that leaves us three options
    -leave the server be.
    -reset the map, but use the same seed
    -reset the map, using [X] seed or the randomly generated seed

also, if there is anything else you'd like to see or have done during the port, feel free to post.

an additional mod, valve pipes, will be added in the next update, to help with steam transport. valve pipes are a RS engine/pipe in 1, with the capacity of gold pipe. here's a link http://www.minecraftforum.net/…t-valve-pipe-and-more-12/

so with the latest update you can burn creosote in the boilers. creosote+coal coke will be my next attempt. however, the turbine has been nerfed to 50eu/t (or 50 UE). i think this is where transformers will come in handy.

my idea with the tanks was this: the turbine spins down when it is not outputting power, so it would build up steam in the tank. tanks also store the steam indefinitely, whereas the boiler bleeds off steam when it cools. i understand you can't get more that ~18% output speed using an iron tank, due to WPW pipes only pulling so much.

however, you can get a pretty steady output from the other steam engines(18 MJ is where i am sitting atm) when supplied from an iron tank. the purpose of the tank is efficient storage, which the boiler is not designed to do.

after a few days of trying...i am unable to create a perpetual boiler->turbine->whatever setup. have not tried a steam engine/transformer. i did, however, find that iron tanks can store steam, which would be a great method of storing power outside of the boiler, as long as you can cope with the loss from using pipes.

server was down due to a lightning strike. i also took the opportunity to update railcraft.

more ram allocated to the server aswell. no lag from the anchors or quarries for a while.

i don't think anything which has to have a component replaced can be considered perpetuum mobile. if the turbine breaks, then something is consumed. i'd like to see the total net eu gain on a cold start to breakage generator running on such a configuration, then calculate the total eu gain to the time it ran. figure in the cost of replacing the turbine at the end aswell. i have a feeling it's not as spectacular as one would expect...
    also, isn't the whole concept of ic2 one system built on top of another?

while redstone behavior is restored to energy storage devices...it seems to be a bit sticky. doesn't like to engage or disengage automatically unless you put a redstone clock on the first adjacent redstone line, which defeats the purpose.

this behavior is observed on a server.

server is down while i update forge and railcraft to latest versions

edit:
    went ahead and bumped up to the beta, which can be found in the support section of the forum

Bumped for update!

i invite you to come see The Exodus (super star destroyer), just off spawn. It is still under construction mind you...

considering attempting both at once as soon as a few updates are released. (mining space vessel, with solar production capacity)
    with that, i have a few questions:
    -do the solar cells have to be on the ground, or could i attach them to frames as well and pull them along? (i have the hardware power...)
    -rather than switches, could i streamline a bit and use a pressure plate cockpit instead?
    -is there a limit on our initial supply of power?
    and finally
    -is the speed of the craft a factor?

the gears are turning...the grid paper is piling up.
    edit:
    i would also like to state that an autonomous is impossible (by design, so i've heard), so i'm looking into the logic of 'dumping' a reactor off the rig when it is empty. the hard part about that is having enough solars behind the rig to support it after the reactor(s) has been jettisoned. the plus side of this is i only need the reactor(s) to operate 1 cycle, so 'overloading' reactor components won't kill it. a group of 1 block reactors can pack quite a punch, but i've found that even identical setups have different outcomes, so i'm seeking that median.
    nothing built yet, all number and logic crunching right now.

hmmm, now if i could figure out how to frame the Executor so i could go mobile in it...the frames would have to be on the inside,which poses a problem.
    that, and i've never used frames before. the Executor might be too big already...zepplin cried bloody mary when i tried to use it.

i'm going to note right now that your reactor can easily go super-critical(boom) before the slightest puff of smoke lifts off your reactor.

*begins hazmat cleanup*

*waiting for nuclear control add-on to update before experimenting with high-end reactors again*