Posts by inucune

Instead of a rant, how about a solution?
    I think the wiki can be updated with information while retaining it's 'hayo.' it sounds like most of the problem can be solved with a format being set for the wiki pages.
    some people want the crunched numbers, they can put them on the page toward the bottom (in a spoiler tag? don't know if wiki has that) or on another page, while the 'hayo' descriptions and such remain at the top. If people are coming to the wiki, they are looking for information, but that information does not have to be dull "this does this when configured like this." If AL doesn't want the uum recipes on the wiki, then so be it. There is a ton of other things that can be posted. I personally think a list of the 'crunched' numbers might help addon creators balance their addons in certain situations, but not everyone wants to know that "the recycler uses [x] equation when calculating scrap production."

I see no reason we (the community and devs) can't work this out.

i propose we reinstate CASUC reactors...but with the following change:
    'heavy water' (deuterium oxide)

heavy water is what is used to cool reactors irl.
    a recipe to craft it would be up to the devs...as i can't find a very good source on how it's made (probably for good reason.)

the reactors could be set to only accept heavy water (or heavy ice)

since it has to be crafted, perhaps a circulation system similar to the railcraft steam turbine. (with 'burn off' loss.) (non-casuc option)

i think this should also be a secondary system, similar to a 'second tier' within reactors...and work in conjunction with the current system

what i would recommend is an overflow circuit/buffer.
    consider the last mfsu in your chain to be moot overflow. when the preceding boxes are full, shut the reactor down. your excess power will be stored in the last box.

if this isn't what you want perhaps a splitter-cable that leads to another storage device off to the side would be best. wire it so when the storage units are full, the splitter closes, draining your excess eu off into an mfsu (or mass fab in my case...i use it to channel excess power).

i tend to use a combination of these two systems.

i'm not proposing a design here, but pointing out an alternate configuration of a preexisting design.
    i run the cheapbreeder for a low power source and to breed cells. however, i like that if i need a little extra power, i can convert it to a 5 of 5 efficiency in a hurry.
    cheap power
    i've got so much tin and coal it isn't really a major setback, nor is the copper. just keep the reflectors maintained.

kudos to the cheapbreeder.

all i did is change the isotope cells for thick reflectors. the heat cell doesn't bother anything, and it can still run a full cycle unattended.

i'm having issues with the transformers.

i have a wiring config as follows: mfsu>mv transformer>lv transformer>machine row.

in front of the medium transformer is a induction furnace and on top of the transformer is a massfab(w/redstone signal to turn it off)
    my problem is this: when i place the massfab on top of the transformer, the machine row no longer receives power, nor does the induction furnace. however, once i remove the mass fab, everything works fine.
    i've checked and the mass fab is not running.

here are some pictures to help. they are hosted temporary, so the links will break eventually.

problem solved...nothing wrong (inherently) with transformers

i'm not sure if it is forge, buildcraft, or ic2, but someone is putting too many items in the 404[x] range. minecraft can run with a certain number of conflicting blocks. i used multimc's output to track down and change the block ID's of the offending blocks to the 600 range.
    a test in creative show that the engines are working properly on all accounts.

a word of caution...there were about 30 overlapping blocks, it is easiest to change the numbers on the buildcraft side. forestry also had 1 block with a conflict.

i'm still getting the crash. but i have a bit more information now. as a note, i was testing on a brand new jar build with (to my knowledge) up-to-date mods
    -the crash occurs for all transformer mod engines
    -the crash occurs when the engine is fed power by wire. if there is no eu being channeled(via wire) into the engine, it is fine.
    -the engine accepts power from a battery fine.
    -most of the crashes begin: 2012-12-04 17:57:46 [INFO] [STDOUT] EEngine failed to get added to ENet

once again, the crash log (slow electric engine)

i think the reactors moved in the right direction in some ways, and not in others.

-i'd like to see the passive cooling restored to the reactor, even if it is a set value. nothing stores heat with 100% efficiency. If my reactor can store heat indefinitely even while empty, then i want my induction furnace to do the same.
    -i wouldn't mind seeing reactors converted to steam...but IC2 needs to be able to stand alone. sounds like a variant when RC is installed. this could also double as a cooling system in which the more water you dump, the more steam you could produce, but it also cools the reactor.
    -i'm torn on the piping items. it gives reactors a feel of realism and complexity, but once again IC2 needs to be able to stand alone.
    -i really don't care for the ability to keep heat off the hull and store it only in components, especially when i find that it is a highly effective design. But with the hull not passively self-cooling anymore, why should i bother with transferring heat to the hull anyway.
    -i like the fallout from exploded reactors
    -i like that the reactor now defaults to "off." having to scramble to restore a redstone signal because of a single misplaced bucket of water got old.
    -i think there isn't a good component to move heat between the hull and components fast enough for higher end reactors. it throws off my temperature readings and judgement when i turn the reactor off and the hull temp is still rising because the hull is trying to catch up(or vice versa). this can result in a reactor that was shut down blowing up a short time (10+ sec) later. i think this makes the reactors more volatile.
    -i don't like the heat exchangers. heat disperses naturally, and can be aided. i shouldn't have to rely on a component to move heat.
    -i think the reactor image is slow to update. a reactor can go from cold to boom in a matter of seconds, why does it take 8-10 seconds for the flames and smoke to start. (not sure if this can be fixed) i use nuclear control for much of my scram-codes, but as a standalone mod, you have no real way of knowing how much heat you have and where quickly.

this is my imput towards the reactors. i enjoy useing them, and i enjoy their successes (and failures). However, i think the system could use another overhaul.

ok. so an update(the short version) on the server (if anyone is left).
    I was hosting the server at a friend's house. The server packet spammed due to a secondary program i was not aware of going rogue on my box.
    I can no longer host my server there, so i'm working on alternatives.

meanwhile, a key question has been nagging at me...
    Bukkit?

The concept of every player potentially having their own world on my server, but being able to travel between them via one central world has always come across to me as a good idea. Friends could share a world aswell.
    even better...all these worlds being having their chunks loaded while the player is away (at the player's discretion, i still have hardware limitations, but we have chunkloaders for that)

while this would kill any machine running windows, i know quite a bit about a few linux distros, and could run the server more easily as a service off a linux box than an application on a windows machine.

open to suggestions

i have a crashlog for this version. i was adding mods one at a time to find out which one was bunk, and got this.
    i'm running the open beta, so it might be putting the cart before the horse.

transformers mod also died, but did so in a similar way.

*Static*...we tried to make a supply run from The Exodus, but were grounded as soon as we entered radio range. The hull was covered in an instant, as such we lost the solar grid topside. We attempted routing power from the reactors into the plating, to no avail. The ship is just too big. The hanger has been breached, as well as the outer three decks.
    I'm holed up in the reactor room, but i've only got 2 more cycles of fuel for the reactor. after that, the tesla coil outside the door will fall silent within four hours, less if they reach the mass fabs on the upper deck. at that point, i'll attempt to exit the ship with only a q-suit, lap-pack and a mining laser. I didn't design The Exodus with scuttling it in mind. Even overheating the reactors would only destroy the contents of this room.
    ---
    the last reactor fell silent an hour ago. the room is getting noticeably colder. I saw a creeper fall from the upper deck into the hoard on the other side of the door.
    not even creepers deserve that fate...
    ---
    This will probably be my last transmission from The Exodus....I wish it to serve as a warning. Half an hour ago, the luminators overhead flickered on. The bots are somehow feeding power into the system, using the mass fabricators for there needs no doubt. the lights are only receiving feedback. They have turned The Exodus into their own breeding grounds...and i handed them all the tools. I sabotaged the reactor room, not that it matters much.
    * klaxon sounds, brokenly*
    ...Im down to my last mfsu. the electrolyzers wont sustain it. *long pause* I suppose this is where i say some epic speech before charging blindly into battle, like in the movies...
    sorry, i can't even bring myself to give my name.
    -end transmission-
    searching for signal.

i still think there should be a recipe for uranium, but not something as simple as uu-matter, although iridium could be a component i guess.
    something more along the lines of the industrial diamond recipe's complexity.
    or maybe just add it to the scrap box drop list.