Posts by FnordMan

Quick, possibly silly question:
    I see the recipes for the various engines but how much power do they need to run at full efficiency?
    Saw mention of a large electric engine for a quarry but does that need 128 to really power it? Just trying to get a bit of a comparison against the other methods, which take about 8 solar panels to run a quarry at full speed.
    I like the idea of direct electric engines a little better as they can run wooden extraction pipes but just trying to get an idea of what sorta power i'll need.
    This is assuming I can scrape up enough Block IDs to install this. (hmm... maybe if I make the teleportation system i've been meaning to do and rip out the Portal mod)

Just updated to 0.9.1

Added new texture (both animated and non-animated version)
    Added animation! Now it looks like the minecraft chest by default, with a shiny metal look.
    Added config to disable animation (makes it look like a normal block)

Works great (after the semi-obligatory find a new Block ID Dance) but there's a small problem with the non-animated version. Namely it still plays the chest open/close sounds.

That would screw up with Minecraft's default maximum, which results in weird gui...
    Hmmm now that i think about it, I might be able to add a new GUI with triple size...
    I'll think about it.

Meanwhile, I'm working on making it a chest-like (with animation and new texture) block.

ugh, no animation please. Either that or make it toggle-able via a config or something. Hate the 1.8+ chest animation.
    Still, good idea, it might be able to finally enable me to get rid of Equivalent Exchange if it were triple size. I basically don't use it for anything but the chests anymore... that mod is *way* broken.

yeah right... private property concept on internets. me lulz much

edit: anyways, i'm tired of clicking this forum's bookmark, i'm gonna take a break from reading/posting activities

Good riddance to a moron troll I say.

and if you ever do read this then I suggest reading up on law some. This is Alblaka's server (at least i'll assume such) so he can kick you off for any reason whatsoever, you have *no* "right" to free speech here.

Hmm... that explains why my (current very slow) diamond factory broke.
    I'll have to re-pipe the thing now.

as to EE, i've mainly been keeping it around for one reason: Alchemical Chests. Lots of storage in a little space. The rest of the mod could go away for all I care.. it's horribly unbalanced.

posting this here.. posted something similar elsewhere but the post just vanished without a trace.
    I *hate* the new way that the new quantum suit running is handles. I get much more control over where i'm going when running with the control key.
    Would it be possible to get a config file option to change it back to the old way?

I present: The pointless machine: images here
    Made in a fit of boredom in a test world with TMI and SSP commands for flying. (way to expensive to do legit for no real reason at all) Took a bit over an hour to fo.

primed the MFE with a energy crystal and it sucked out a bit under 9k energy getting the whole thing started but after that it was stable. (no net energy gain or loss)

in case you can't make it out, that's a motor powering the dynamo grid. The dynamo grid power a bat-box per 2 rows and the 4 bat-boxes feed a MFE which powers the motor.

So, Miners are pretty power hungry, even with just an OD scanner. With an OV scanner they become quite a bit more power hungry.
    Unless I'm wrong they only accept LV input (32EU/t max).
    How do you guys wire them up to keep them juiced up while mining away, be it with an OD or OV scanner? As it is I'm ending up having to play hotswap with batteries.

haven't built a miner since 1.0 and the will mine bedrock bug.
    Lately i've been using BC quarries, sure it makes a huge hole and mines a lot of useless cobble but that's just more fodder for the recyclers :)
    any ores get dumped into a chest. Haven't ran a quarry since I built the processing station to handle nearly everything I need to do. (two chests and a few teleport pipes under my shack to somewhere ~40 blocks away underground near my power source)

Yeah, I was afraid of that.
    I WISH there was a better way to fill lava cells, because I have some massive lava lakes near my base. Neither buildcraft nor IC2 pumps do much with lava, unfortunately. You can move a few bucketfuls at a time, not nearly enough.

aroo? the three lava likes i've drained with BC (v2.2.2) pumps disagree with you. Sure they missed a some source blocks here and there but i've got quite the tower of lava in a tank now. Haven't gotten around to it yet but I was going to try a ravine w/ lava floor I found next. (need to expand the tank)

Haven't actually built one for real yet (just in a test world with water) but the bucket filler addon works a treat for taking lava from a tank to fill buckets and then make cells out of.

Incidentally you can use that to dump buckets into a water mill but even then a water mill is quite pointless.

Don't need EE to make Ice, you do need BC to automate the whole thing though.
    Anyway, water cell -> snowball -> ice via 3 trips to the compressor.
    you can automatically fill the buckets with water with BC and the Bucket Filler addon. (optionally the advanced wooden pipe from the BC additional pipes will make the bucket thing *much* easier)
    Obviously for speed you'll want the IC2 singularity compressor addon.

U can put Water Cells in the extractor or the compresser, i forgot it. then u get snow, which u compress and get ice! :)

Compressor. Water Cell -> Snowball -> Ice

you can automate the whole thing with BuildCraft and the Bucket Filler addon.
    Just have a pump above a infinite spring pumping water to the Bucket Filler and feed the bucket of water to a small factory.
    You may need Zeldo's additional pipes and the advaned wooden pipe to make it work smoothly though (aka: recycling the buckets)

so yeah... constant supply if ice, just add tin for the empty cells.

solar panels are free infinite energy. you just pay to build it and after that it provides free infinite energy forever. hook a mass fabricator up to it and you can make everything else in the game, for free. this is not exactly 'new'. cactus farm will make free cactus forever which can be used to make energy or recycle into scrap boxes for free diamonds. cobblestone generators can make cobblestone out of thin air which again can be recycled for free diamonds. those machine can be powered by solar panels for a factory that essentially make stuff out of nothing. why are people keep freaking out that EE allows them to get 'free' stuffs? vanilla minecraft allows this, IC2 allows this, BC makes this REALLY easy, EE makes a LOT of stuff from other stuff. it's a video game. it's okay.

not to mention EE is on the whole horribly broken.
    So far i've been avoiding doing the transformations of stuff as those are basically broken for anything other than EE

I will confess to having 4 glowstone aggregators running once in a while but only to feed the destruction catalyst I use to mine with.
    On the whole I don't use EE much but do keep it around because I *love* the alchemical chests.

anyway, on cobble generators. Cobble generator + buildcraft == lots of scrap boxes, just add time. Don't even need to use fuel to power the quarry. You can power it (the quarry) with a 6x6 grid of redstone engines and the new power pipes. (provided you've got a 2 wide cobble generation area)

And you're right. The difference is that HV cable costs three refined iron (and nine rubber if you're feeling fancy) for twelve pieces, whereas glass fiber costs a whole diamond for every six pieces. Throwing down 16 diamonds for a 96-block long cable is a hell of a lot more expensive than 24 iron.

eh.. once you get to a certain point diamond isn't super expensive. I can leave the game running overnight and get 15 diamond or so out of the mass fab. (i'm pulling the uu matter out with Buildcraft stuff and running it to a auto crafting table)