Posts by daedroug

What I mean is, instead of associating input and output with faces, be smarter about it. If I shift-click fuel in to a Generator it shouldn't matter the face, it should always go in to the fuel slot. Similarly if I shift click a rechargeable in it should never go to the fuel slot and always the charging slot.

All of which should really be taken up with MCF as a change to how it works as that is where such a change would need to be made to be able to have IC make use of it. The main concern I see with tat idea thoug is sometimes items don't always go in the same slot. for example sometimes you want wood as fuel and sometimes you want to make charcoal.

While I'm not opposed to sticking to using deployers wit BC liquid tanks to fuel my geothermal generators (with the fix to ISidedInventory so you can put and get buckets from them), I don't see why this shouldn't be a feature, it's really no more or less powerful then present setups just more realistic. Sure it's crazy in the nether but that's only because Geothermal is already crazy in the nether, not like you can do all that much with the power in the nether.

Honestly I don't see why the silver Fiber cable recipe replaces the redstone with silver from RP, Maybe it's just me but that seems like a bum deal. Maybe something like 3 silver for 2 cables would actually be worth doing but as it stands i'll never use that recipe.

So I guess it was one of the most recent updates that changes how machines work with BC/RP but it broke my autoreloader for my geothermal generators. As it is now you can only put and get things from the bottom slot of the generator from the bottom side, which doesn't sound so bad until you realize that you need to both put buckets in and remove the empty buckets.

As such I would suggest that you would be able to access the bottom slot of the geothermal generator at the very least (not sure about other machines) from both the bottom and the sides.

The other alternative would be to have an output slot in it that empty buckets go to once they've been emptied that can then be pulled from the sides.

daedroug: Laying blocks to produce the proper toroidal and poloidal fields in a fusion reactor is an interesting idea, but unfortunately the subtleties of real-life plasma confinement are impossible to capture in a world of cubes. Besides, coming up with a Minecraft-ized version of Maxwell's equations (with space quantized in one-block increments!), then adjusting the behavior of plasmas in response to this, would be an interesting intellectual exercise but would lay waste to your CPU and be difficult for players without physics experience to use. Same goes for turbine design - the fission reactor block can be assumed to have an internal turbine, so there's no reason the fusion block has to be any different. (Also, multi-block structures are beastly difficult to code because you have to take into account every stupid thing the player can do to mess up your code)

Obviously there's a point where you pretty much need to dumb down the physics a bit both to make it accessible to the layman as well as to fit it into a world of cubes. Even if it just was about making a donutish shape (or square donut) to make it work I'd be fine with it, I'm more about making it more difficult and design intensive then actually making it realistic.

As far as the whole lag issue I kind of feel like if you where able to get enough energy out of this you could have one at the heart of a city on a server and have that be enough whereas without it you'd need fields and fields of solar and wind generators that could probably match if not exceed any potential lag of a multiblock system.

Finally as i said before I honestly don't really mind so much how you go about doing so, just as long as it takes more room to set up then a single block. If you can pull off any system that requires you to have safeguards and systems all intertwined to the point where you pretty much -have- to build a power plant the size of a real life Fusion plant, then I shall be extremely happy.

I'll be keeping an eye on this but I have been a big proponent of generators like fusion needing some pretty extensive external setup from the actual block.

First things that come to mind that you could do is building an external longitudinal and latitudinal copper coils out of copper blocks. Obviously then you'd need to look into how to program the entity that would be the Plasma spinning around in it and could probably do some cool stuff with being able to visually show how hot the plasma is. As well you could have it produce more energy and need more fuel depending on how big you make the magnetic coils and how well built they are. For example, Square coils would be easier and still working but not able to produce as much energy compared to a well built more circular coils.

Another kind of nifty thing you might be able to do is shielding it from sending out damaging waves by surrounding the whole thing with Reinforced Stone or some other shielding material, maybe even have it erode over time so that every once and awhile you have to shut it down and rebuild the shielding.

This way you would also be able to have the heating Coils be actual blocks that you have to figure out how to situate them in the field to make them most effective while still being able to wire them up to whatever power and any redstone controls.

The final thing that I can think of is having a way to make it so tat the power produced doesn't come from the field directly but from a water system that you have to set up to flow through it, heat up, and then passing over a watermill/special turbine before passing back through the plasma field again. Something similar to BuildCrafts liquid pipes except able to somehow react to the heat generated by the plasma to move the water through it faster the hotter it is.

My main point is that this is a Fusion reactor, it should be a big endeavor to not only create the technology to accomplish it but as well to build the big ass structure that it aught to require.

I agree. While Geothermal's have the highest EU production rate for generators, solars would quickly out strip Geo's since they would require constant refilling (Besides, this is really null if you're using the Adv. Solar Panel add-on (128 EU/t during the day, and [configurable] 1 EU/t during the night))

For starters I definitely feel like the advanced solar panel addon is kinda unbalanced.

Secondly the entire idea behind this would be the ability to build an automatic refilling power plant in the nether that can then transfer energy to your base in the normal world.

A machine which uses power to remove all scaffolding blocks touching it/touching scaffoldign touching it, and places it in chests surrounding it.

:D

Or just make it so it brings down all of the touching scaffolding when you wrench it no need for an entire block

Cool as long as your headed in that direction i'll likely be getting it in the future. and just to be clear the way i described it would actually basicly be 6 different blocks. 2 for wall and dome, 4 for upgrading either into a covert camo or harming field.

I really am starting to like where this addon is going but as i mentioned i think before in another thread the one thing that is kinda stopping me from getting it is the over complicated GUI. I would suggest finding ways to have the setup define many if not all of the settings of your gui. The easiest of which would be to have seperate blocks for dome and wall mode (subwater can just be a background feature especially if it replaces any water blocks it removes when it's turned off). Then from those two you could upgrade into either the shield that hurts or the covert version that can camouflage as other blocks.

The other idea would be to have some sort of array/scaffolding thing to define the size of the wall or dome generator. Perhaps something like a buildcraft pipe that ends up filling whatever space between them with the field when it's connected to the generator.

For example:

That way you could not only set how big it is but how far away it is, how offset, etc. Obviously from there you can simplify it down by removing pieces like the top bar, or reducing it to just needing to define the 4 corners. For that matter if you pulled off some fancy modeling you could probably come off with some pretty cool field emitters that define the corners. Just have them sitting inside the generator when you first place and open it's gui.

After all this is said and done you could probably get away with a simple 2 slot GUI (one for emitters/scaffolding and to put in batteries and one for what you want the field to camouflage as) with plenty of room to do stuff like a graphic for the capacitor and a little thing showing how much energy is being used.

So a quick rejiggering of an idea you may ave already read.

For starters there is the Coordinate cards, easy to craft basicly just a simple card with a magnetic bar with coordinates incoded into it much like a credit card or hotel room key. Clearing them is easy as well as a simple use of a crafting bench can craft a coded one into a blank one. Finally they can also be dyed any color in order to keep different coded cards separate.

Then we have the Teleporter with it's new GUI, that only opens when you have a coordinate card in hand and consists of a simple input and output. Placing a blank Coor-card in the input, outputs a card with that teleporters coordinates. Then taking that card and placing it into another teleporters input will then set it to have the other as it's destination. (Card placed in A and then taken and placed into B, makes B teleport to A) The beauty of this is that you can make much more elaborate teleporter systems like a receiving pad that goes nowhere but has 10 different teleporters bring you to it. A series of teleporters that, using one after the other only brings you to new places until it finally loops you back to the beginning. Keeping a teleporter that never has a card in it and carrying around a bunch of coded Coor-Cards and whenever you need to go somewhere you just slide in the one for the place you want to go to.

As well more for SMP a couple features that would be good would be a way to lock down a teleporter so that destination is set and a way to make it so cards inserted into the teleporter are given back to you as you teleport.

Not only would this improve teleporters functionality but it could also improve the functionality of other future items.
    For instance a Map table could use it to mark landmarks, personal safes and doors could use the blank cards and turn them into Access cards which can then be handed out to those that are allowed access to them, or turn that around and have access cards coded to individual people and then placed into the doors and chests to allow that person to make use of it.