Posts by Jivix

Well, I think it's just here so everyone can groan, giggle a little, then get on with their lives. I don't see any reason to flame. Also, fairly relevant to the april fools joke.

I think it would be amusing if every month or so in game you might see space core tumbling through the sky. I hate the space core as much as any other guy who hates annoying little personality cores that talk too much, but random events make things more entertaining. Always.

Obviously, the superultrajetsuit-pack's companion would be the laserchaindrillsawtreetapwrench, the practical multi-tool for the everyman. Works in 61 different situations! over 30 operating modes! 5 payments of $49.99, mastercard not accepted.

The only result from combos like this is that you need a massive pool of energy to draw from, which turns you from OP creeper-slayer into man-child God.

I think that we actually need to get MORE specialized with the suits. Clothing isn't just for protection... We could have stealth suits to sneak up behind and assassinate creepers (think of the PvP!). OR we could have a mirror suit that was very weak to physical attack but deflected mining lasers (not very useful in SSP, I admit). Or how about a shape-changing disguise kit, that allowed you to disguise as a creeper and troll your friends playing as the deadliest creeper that ever lived (WTF how did he open my door?!?!! OH GOD HE HAS A LASER!!).

One that I've been dreaming about lately is the tesla suit. I got the inspiration from the power armor of Fallout, but it's not as OP. It would merely be a defense for close-ranged enemies, zapping and stunning them for a very short period once they got within a certain range. Being a weapon like the Nano Saber, it would take a huge amount of power while running, and with each shot would take even more power akin to the Tesla Coil. This would make you a high-value ranged target in fights though, being specialized.

The last one (I promise/hope) is the recon/parkour armor. The increased stealthiness offered by this suit not only nearly hides your name in SMP, but allows you to scale walls with futuristic sticky-gloves and stuff. Also the increased mobility would offer a greater base move speed and strafing speed than you could get with a quantum suit. It would not allow you to sprint anywhere near as fast though, not being made of futuristic iridium.

The OP's suggestion is overpowered.

Say though, that perhaps you could make a device so powerful it could open a rift in spacetime in your universe, and attach it to the space of another universe, pull the matter in the other universe through and through cold fusion generate a huge amount of energy. Since we don't really have "other universes" in Minecraft (I don't count the nether, nobody cares about that godforsaken place), we have no moral obligations to NOT suck the living daylight out of a mythical universe we will never see.

So, I propose a Rift generator. This is a big one. Think about all those enormous chasms in Minecraft. They are very odd formations, definitely unnatural looking. I think the Rift generator should be some sort of matter harvesting/fusion tool whose containment field is imperfect, causing massive gravitational rifts in nearby MC space. These temporary rifts are so powerful that they open massive chasms and wreak havoc on the surface. To walk the surface nearby a rift generator would tear your body to shreds from the extreme forces. It would take an enormous amount of energy to start, on the order of 10 MFSU's full or more. The charge up time would take many days. Parts of the machine would permanently overheat, meaning the machine must shut down or tear a rift within its containment field (oh, am I talking about the force field generator? hmmm!).

As we step up through the tiers of power in Industrialcraft, we harvest more and more energy from the environment. Eventually we step up to the point where we have the potential to permanently destroy things (nuclear reactor). They possess deadly power, and the logical successor to that would be the potential for greater damage. The Rift generator would create such a vortex of chaos near its operation that it would be required to be operated in a force field, and probably require extremely careful management unless you want your base wiped out of existence. This is Ultra-science, and it is a field I really want to step into. Industrialcraft makes us laugh at the primitive dangers offered to us by Minecraft. With quantum technology, the environment and creatures can no longer do us harm. This step is actually necessary to throw some spicy danger back into Minecraft! And there is so much opportunity for special effects.

Obviously, we would want the generator to provide more power than we put into it, especially at such a great cost to our nearby environment. Perhaps over the course of a MC day it would provide three hundred million EU or so. With 10 MFSU's going in is 100 million, plus the cost of [expensive] components that take time and resources to replace, plus the energy cost of the force field, plus the extreme devastation that occurs outside your field, 300 million EU doesn't seem so unreasonable.

Oh, and there would be no way in hell something as comparatively weak as Reinforced Concrete would survive the rift. This would have to be a sacrifice... a sacrifice for science. And no, you wouldn't be able to pipe the energy away from the generator, because the wires would be destroyed as well.

I've already said too much... I hope I didn't bore anyone with my long-winded idea. I'd be happy to talk with anyone about it if they are as excited as I am about these big super-science projects.

You own your server, correct? You are admin, you have access to server commands.

What's keeping you from just saying "/time set 0" and having it be morning? It's not very hard, and you only have to do it every 12 minutes... Or if you are really in the mood to hit the hay, just /kick those idlers (it's not rude, they are being inconsiderate of all the other players on the server by preventing everyone being able to change the time).

Server commands are your frieeend.

first off, MC isn't neccissarily realistic, as i'm sure your aware. also, if a spider can't even figure out "oh it i turn sideways i can fit" then i don't think he's smart enough to figure out if an "Electorized Dummy" if different from an AFK player through a wall.

Please let's not forget one of the best inventions of IC2 - the TESLA COILS! This sweet piece of metal could fry everything outside your door, open or not, after you have gone through it. With some clever circuitry, of course! I think there are already solutions to the creeper problems mentioned above. What I hate dealing with are the noisy door-banging zombies. Super annoyingly loud, even louder than a room full of macerators.

Anyways, going back to the topic: Aluminum is a very cool metal. However, while it is durable, it is terrible at maintaining shape and is generally pretty soft. The battery idea is a neat chemical idea, but unfortunately we don't need more batteries (we have fancy crystals!). So that leaves us with rust-proof non-utility items. I'd like to point out that IC2 has no real purely aesthetic blocks/items, so we are sort of out of luck with the Aluminum idea. I would like to see at some point in the future (unlimited block ID's maybe?) the level of scientific realism given a boost in IC2 and even vanilla minecraft. But I don't think IC2 is ready for more metals.

A geiger counter. Never really needed in the old days, but in the WWII and on "Nuclear Age" we have always felt the need to be aware of our surroundings. It fits perfectly with Industrialcraft in the sense that we have only really become aware of radioactivity because we have pursued the knowledge of unique properties of the elements.

How neat would it be, the explorer, wandering about a cave listening to the cautious ticks of the geiger... But it doesn't really make sense. Exploring caves is sort of a primitive act. In modern times we mine the ore we need through large mining operations with huge machinery. The Miner in IC2 is analogous to the large mining operations of today. While a geiger counter might be useful in a large uranium mine, it would seem odd to be carrying one into every cave you see, hoping to find an ore that is relatively rare.

And if you run even just 1 miner you should be getting 0-2 (equally weighted) uranium with each pull. I would love to hear a geiger counter in Minecraft, but I can definitely see that currently there is no real reason to have it.

I always thought slimeballs should be able to be thrown like chicken eggs, and create the tiny tier 1 slimes on contact. However, since slime is a significantly more rare resource than sap is, it follows that it should have a significant, yet appropriate purpose that is suited to its' rarity. Using slime for sticky pistons feels silly when you can get infinite free sap with very little work, compared to getting slimes to spawn. And although slime is sticky, we can't make any traps like we can with placeable sap.

I say we interpret slime as "slimy" not "sticky". Slimy is slippery. Perhaps slime could be applied to the tops of blocks to greatly speed up the travel of entities over them. I quickly realized cactus farms were silly because by the time the blocks made it out of the maze of water, they only had a minute or so in my base before they despawned. Slime could make a silly design like that possible. Or it could be used for fast travel between bases, on a special low-friction skybridge. y'know, if you are too lazy to acquire iridium for mr. quantum speedypants.

The alternative ideas being spitballs that cover players screens, combining with uranium for dangerous radioactive pourable liquid spooge, combining with sap to create a special heat-sensitive glue that pins mobs/players in place until they break the block the glue was placed on (obviously since mobs can't do this, they are sort of doomed), and finally perhaps it is a psychedelic slime that could be put in coffee/booze and innocently presented to your friends on a server for a few minutes of hilarity. Boy, I don't know if any of these fit with IC2's image, but it was fun thinking about them!

SO let me get this straight. You have a futuristic weapon, forged from rare metal alloys and special energy crystals. It probably weighs 10-15 lbs to lug around. You want to stick a KNIFE onto the barrel of this extremely futuristic weapon? It's like taping a shovel onto a tunnel boring machine ... And how is a knife on a 15 lb gun supposed to somehow draw the sap out of a tree? I praise you for thinking outside the box, but this is something that is not really necessary in day-to-day minecraft life, nor is it practical from a rational sense. And yes, it definitely IS a swiss army knife suggestion. The mining laser was never ever meant to be a primary weapon, and although you could definitely use it like one, you would make Swiss cheese of your map every time you miss a shot. Since your mining laser is not a primary weapon, it follows that you would have accompanying tools such as a chainsaw that would function better as a melee weapon (including the balancing effect of taking power to do things, instead of an infinite durability bayonet) which would probably do the job better anyways.

A more applicable suggestion might be some sort of composite alloy knife that has no knockback like a sword does, but does similar damage and lasts much longer. Think Counter-Strike!

The first thing I noticed upgrading from IC2 1.71 is that chainsaws now drop leaves (as per the release notes). The second thing I noticed is that the leaves are now useful because it provides extra recycling material. The third thing I noticed is that I no longer had saplings to replant my forest.

I think the chainsaw should have two modes, one for shear-like action, and one for sheer destruction. The only difference between the two being whether or not things like grass/leaves/etc drop. Perhaps on shear mode it would also make sheep drop more wool... when you "shear" them with your chainsaw ;)

I understand this isn't a general minecraft support forum, but I wanted to post it in here because I think it has to do with one of the prerequisite mods for IC2. Here are the problems we are having the most current version of IC2 (1.90):
    -It is impossible to place buttons, switches, vines, or similar objects (except ladders) on the sides of blocks, with certain exceptions. This is extremely frustrating and severely impacting our redstone experimentation. We like to build roleplay dungeons/adventures and this makes it nearly impossible to do.
    -Jetpacks are no longer working (again). You can fly, but the fuel never depletes, and fall damage accumulates with your downward travel in the air. AKA a 1 minute flight equals exploding into little bits upon landing. Additionally, it seems like we cannot activate hover mode (although other items using modes work great). Also, you can fly almost absurdly high with the electric packs now (roughly height 180). We've gotten so fed up with this that we have given up on jetpacks on SMP unless we are going straight up.
    Minor issues:
    -Rarely, all the faces of ALL IC2 blocks rotate. This happens very often on windmills individually.
    -Having a fair amount of wiring in view seems to drop frame rates quite a bit. Not sure why, they are just rectangles.

I've looked at Modloader, ModloaderMP, and Forge's release notes and known issues but none of them have addressed these problems. Are these all related to vanilla Minecraft then?

FYI, here is a list of my current mods:
    Modloader 1.2.4, ModloaderMP 1.2.4V1, MCForge 2.0.0.67
    SoundModEnabler
    TooManyItems 1.2.4
    Plasmacraft 0.2.8
    TwilightForest 1.7.2
    Industrialcraft 1.9.0

Here is a link to the MUCH more popular/reliable minecraft version changer:
    http://download.cnet.com/Minec…3000-2242_4-75628770.html

This software worked really great for me. I needed 1.2.3 as well as 1.2.4 came by before I realized all my favorite mods were up to date, so by recommendation on the minecraft forums I tried this out. Simply select the version of Minecraft (or server version) you are interested in. Then, either select "Change" which will downgrade your install of minecraft to the desired version, or select "server download", which will download a minecraft_server.jar for the selected version into the folder of MVC.

FYI, I noticed that with the post 1.1 minecraft, you can't use the standard java .bat file. If you look up on the forums, there is a new recommended way to expand the memory. My server wouldn't start with the original batch file, giving an infinite loop of sv.a errors (or something like that) and such.

Nukeofwf,

Having lithium-6 disappear into the reactor is normal. It's been that way since .64.

On another note, nobody use the laser rangefinder in SMP. It crashes the client, but not the server.

Also, I think it may have something to do with the buggy Forge release, but I am losing a large portion of the empty cells in the isotopic extractor. Not only is it not displaying the correct output number (I'll put in 20 water cells, get 2 deuterium, but only 12-14 cells back). I have noticed the same thing happens when I fill water cells, which has led me to believe it is this version of Forge. Still very annoying to deal with.

In addition to falling out of the passenger rocket, the rocket never seems to land until you rejoin the server. Only then will it actually land and drop the appropriate block (it also drops a 2nd passenger missile miniblock, although it cannot be picked up).

Lastly, the reactor seems to be working great, save for the heat bar, the progress bar, and the breeding amount. I simply had to install the mod just so I could use the fusion reactor. We refuse to use nuclear reactors in our base, and we don't want to go to the trouble of running out to a reactor that is placed far away to refill/monitor it.

Is it really too much to ask for everyone to just keep their curiosity to themselves until we actually see the update? Sure, we all want it to be compatible, but you don't need to pester Kentington about it. He's one of the first modders I've seen that gives regular status updates, so just hang on until the next one. Besides, I hate (read: HATE) sorting through dozens and dozens of posts about when the mod will be updated in order to find a post with some actual, relevant information or discussion.

Boy, I sure do like the sound of depleted uranium. It would give me something to do with the stack of uranium ore I have sitting around, because my reactor uses much less fuel than two miners can pick up.

ooh, here's another one. Since this is a Rocket Science mod (naturally) we should have rocket packs! Much less safe than jetpacks, Rocket Packs enable the user to fly forward at very high velocities. The downside to this pack is if you hit something going full speed, you explode in a blaze of glory (unless you are wearing an impact-resistant quantum suit or nano suit). Another downside is while it holds as much fuel as a standard jetpack, it gives you significantly less flight time (although overall you can cover much more distance).

Any chance of having personnel transport rockets having real trajectories? Then if you miscalculate your trajectory you will crash into the side of something and explode in a blaze of glory.

If not that, then could you change the spawning of fire next to the rockets so that it only spawns after you are in the rocket? If I stand within 1 block from the rocket I always take some damage from the fire.

I just like the fact that I can throw two stacks into each of my advanced machines, then go away and craft some stuff, then come back and grab my new crafting materials. I also like to not overdo it on the power gen (I save my resources for other cool projects) and so advanced machines make me squeal with delight. I like how when I leave I can just switch them off. Since this mod is not updated I have had to use several overclockers in my machines, and while they are handy in a pinch I don't see any reason to waste that much metal on something that causes you to waste even more power.

@ plutonium bomb: nuclear missiles already works like that, but the standard nuke tnt does not.

@ Heating elements: You can mix and match them. The ohmic heater is the most efficient, but it can only get the reactor up to a certain heat, where you will have to use another heater.

@ Lithium: The thing about lithium exploding in water is awesome. My science teacher made that experiment once... And the lithium batteries are great, too. However, lithium should be made directly into sheets, instead of using lithium ingots. The ingots would just be another item id used, unless the ingots would have a specific usage, apart from making lithium sheets. Also, it should not be Li-6 cells that would be used. rather just lithium cells.

Oops, I figured nuclear missiles were the same as nukes. Nukes drive me nuts on SMP because while the server can handle the load the clients cannot.

That's fine with me, but are the other two heaters the same or is there a distinct advantage of one over the other?

Wouldn't that make lithium batteries super cheap and easy to make? I think Li-6 should be used so it at least requires some effort to make the super-powerful variants of the RE batteries, even if it is not really scientifically accurate.

And, oh man, I bet Alblaka has never heard this one before... but I'm going to say it anyways. (I hope he isn't watching me). How about a railgun/gauss rifle? It isn't capable of breaking blocks like the mining laser is, and it also cannot catch leaves on fire. All it is good for is launching a metal slug at whatever. You could even have a low power/high power mode. Low power would be capable of launching slugs up to 40 blocks away, and the projectile would go at a good clip. But if you are on high power, it would take 10,000 EU a shot but the projectile could travel within render distance and would be the fastest projectile known to mankind. They could even be made with the new Li-Ion batteries so that it has some decent internal storage, but can be charged via either batpack or lappack.

Plutonium bomb (plutonium made with isotopically separated uranium cells) - Just like the nuke, but no drops result. This means little to no lagz!

Superconductor coil should be more expensive. By the time I had enough materials to fashion the fusion reactor, I had way more than enough coal, redstone, and 1/4 stack of gold blocks which was more than enough to make a coil. Maybe 4 redstone/2 gold bars per piece? So you have to actually spend some effort making it. (Nobody really uses gold for much, but it's nice to have something to spend it on).

Speaking of the fusion reactor, is it required to have all 3 heating elements? Can I mix & match them? What is the differences between them? I've only played around with it a little bit.

The autominer is the single coolest thing I have ever seen. Any chances of changing the recipe to use a personal chest and doubling the inventory space? That way your resources could be protected while they are flying around in SMP.

I think the we/dry vac is deprecated now... You can right click with empty cells to fill them. However, the hand pump could still be handy (haw haw) if you get the empty cells back (I haven't made one yet).

Ok, not sure if this even makes sense yet, but I just thought of it. I'd like to see Lithium used in some sort of complex battery system. Create a Li-6 Cell, compress/extract it into a lithium bar, then use the bar to make lithium sheets. When thrown into water, lithium sheets explode after a moment. The lithium sheets could be used to make a rechargeable battery that has nearly the same capacity as an energy crystal, with the added bonus of being able to charge things from the hotbar (like the RE batteries. I love that new feature). Perhaps some sort of cell deterioration could be implemented, so that you have to make new lithium batteries after awhile. Come to think of it, I with RE batteries worked this way as well. Or at least take some damage if they are fully discharged (lithium batteries hate that). MOAR batteries!

Hi ultimate_omega,

I'm starting to see that as disabling sound being the only option for now. It is just depressing for me because I got a taste of what a wonderful sound-filled game Industrialcraft could be, but then I have to take it all away because of a silly crippling bug (why can't we just hotfix it by disabling all sounds past a certain hearing radius?).

I thought Audiomod didn't work with forge. I might give it a shot to see if it does anything.

What's the point of even having IC2 sounds if all it does is cause grief once you get past the early game?

Exhibit A: Working just fine, have almost a dozen geothermal generators running and powering a terraformer

Exhibit B: I back away just a dozen or two blocks, and instantly the engine tanks and my fps drops to 0. From this point on it is almost impossible to move, although pressing escape to get to the menu isn't so hard. If I am fast I can fly back to the source of the sound and everything will be dandy.

Edit: images don't seem to work in IC2 forums... very disappointing as I really need to show what I'm doing. Whatever, you should get the point.

P.s. please don't tell me to just shut off the sounds in the config file. That is such a cheesy workaround. I like the sounds! If they got added, they should work darnit!