Minecraft spawn machanics

• Official Post

I want to make a witch farm, but find eating away half the landscape around it too much like running quarries next to your house looks wise. Does anyone know if mobs can spawn in chunkloaded areas if the player isn't there, because that way I'd only have 9 chunks to clear rather than 25 or something crazy.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Meaning I can just chunkload the witch hut, but not need to clear out a silly radius around it? YAY ^^

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

If you find a way to chunkload the area to spawn mobs, which is quit difficult, I think.

Do normal chunkloaders not work? (Like world anchors)

I see this too much.

• Official Post

That makes life harder :S

I see this too much.

• I think it is because mobs need a player around to spawn.
    There might be chunkloaders with fakeplayer but i'm not sure.

Pretty much, I believe mobs will only spawn in player/fakeplayer-loaded chunks, there used to be a distance-from-player limiter that defines a "safe" area around the player that mobs could not directly spawn in.

Also, I'm pretty sure that there are a few chunkloader mods that use fakeplayer, but last I heard, there was a bug with it that either rendered it useless or caused a crash. The Forge devs have probably fixed it since, but do be careful.

• Mobs can spawn everywhere, but they will immediately despawn in Peaceful or 128 blocks away from a player. They also have a chance to despawn between 32 and 128 blocks away from a player.