Water Mill,Water Turbine (like in a Dam)

• Official Post

I was going to suggest that :D

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

The river stream turbine that I've suggested would be similar to that, except that it is a more heavy duty turbine, receiving the river flow in a much bigger area.

However some woody watermill like this (shallow and uses very small space) that also must be on a river and produces a few kU/t to power very basic stuff, would be nice.

• Yep I noticed your Theard also some minutes ago and saw that you post a similar idea ;)

Industrial Craft 2 is the Best mod ever :thumbup:

P.S. Sorry for any mistake. I come from Germany ;) :whistling:

• I would really like to see some things like dams: you create a big pool and you empty it down by using pipes (or something) in order to get kU.
    I support this!

• A Waterwheel to programm is not that hard. (In terms of render/function)
    I think thats why BTW did that.

A damm anyways is way Harder to code because it is a giant variablish Multistructure.
    I personally would be not able to code that (at the point where i am with my nowledge).

I simply mean with that you have to give the damm a lot of parameters.
    Core:XYZ
    Size(all directions), Facing

after that the structureupdating would be imens (depending on how big it is)
    but also the part where it detect how much water is aviable and also if the waterflow,
    how much water wants to flow there anyways.
    Then the detection when it should break. I mean a damm also can break when there is to much lag.
    I think every damm would require its own Thread else it would totally decrease the TickRate.
    ^^"
    I think that thing is not possible to code. Not at the current way how minecraft works.

But i kinda like the idea^^"

• i think that if we are talking about minecraft river biome-sized dams, it is very possible to code - you would only NEED to have a parameter for the side, and then check if there is water directly below it. you'd then have to start, say, two blocks over the surface, and it would check if there is water around the 3 block downwards, and if it is in a river biome. Energy output depends on depth mainly, and a bit on width(but more in a negative way i think, as broader river equals slower flow. and if you want it realistic, then.. nope, just nope, that would indeed be too big.

EDIT: you could probably use a modulo function to check the structure, as well.. you'd just have to somehow give it the coordinates of the top-left block of the dam structure, and then it runs along it and calculates if it is valid and if it is, how much power you get. and the blocks don't have to be checked every tick, i think once every second/every 5 seconds would be enough.

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

IC Related Quotes thread. If you ever need some good puns.

• Official Post

What about making the river powered mill check for river biome (and if it has water n depth) around (like up to a 64 block square radius) then sum up to calculate the output. Rain would affect it similarly to how it does to wind.

• Ok. I answer on both questions and if you do not understand that i can explain that in my stream today^^"

first blub01:

That way you explained it would might work but then you could place a wall in the middle of nowhere and place a little bit of water next to it and you have the same result. So trixing out the dam would be relative easily. Also you always then have to go a pattern. If that does not fit into the World/Looks not nice then the player sucks...

The problem which you did not understand a damm can be modular. The detection of the blocks is not the problem. The problem is to detect how the damm/dam is build. Ok you could place a wall and then you have it but if you want to look it nice or not a straight wall it is no longer possible. Because the pattern does no longer match.

I hope you understand that part at least. And i agree your way would work but it is way to easy to trix it ok. You can easily change the surface of a world and and and.

Now to spawnX:
    Quick answer: Compact Watermills or Advanced Generators Ocean generator does that. (Without the weather effect).
    Long answer:

Yeah i like that idea also but that again is easy to trix out too. Because you can build easily a cage with that inside. I think even with my idea it would not prevent that trick.

There is two ways to find out how much of an area has water:
    First: A area which you check: xyz radius and you check every block in it (even if they are not connectey to the actual block) and search for your block.
    And the second idea is the spreading system:

You search for the blocks that soround the core block. If they match the block you search for the blocks that soround him. And that over and over again until you found everything you searched for.
    And with that you can detect only blocks that are the same and not blocks that are behind others

like this: (x= gold, y = cobble, z = core block)
    you search for gold:

xxxz
    xzxz
    xxxz
    zzzz
    xxxz

you only find 8 out of the 11 gold blocks with that system so you can prevent trixing it out ^^" At least the basic tricks fall away^^"

• Official Post

You would be limited by the amount of river biome blocks around. You can't trick it. You can only find larger rivers.
    Depth would be limited to the height of the sea/river level and the natural ground floor {no artificial deep rivers} If anything, just check for water + biome and not depth.

• hmm.. you could always build at 90 degrees to the way the river runs, but that could be prevented as well, you would only have to check (from the dam core) on what plane(x or z) the river biome is longest, and you'd have to build the dam the other way.

You make energy dependent on water around it, you actually need water. and is filling up water with lakes for hydroelectric dams IRL any less cheating then when you build some kind of water basin? but seriously, you'd need that physics mod with a realistic water cycle to prevent builds using nonnatural surrounding structures.

What about making the river powered mill check for river biome (and if it has water n depth) around (like up to a 64 block square radius) then sum up to calculate the output. Rain would affect it similarly to how it does to wind.

You'd only have to check upriver. and rain doesn't change a thing about output, that's just not enough water. With windmills, it is because rain is considered a storm, i think.

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

• ^^" Both of you you are right.

But spawnX i would not limit that to rivers because those have just small amounts of water.
    I would say river & Ocean biomes.
    And weather effect only works at ocean biomes.
    Then again river has a higher energyproduction then
    ocean (river flows always and ocean stays sometimes)
    so that the river gets not that unusefull if you have a ocean.

• maybe you could add currents in oceans, and you'd have to make a special scanner to find them, and then place the hydroelectric generators(not a dam here, that wouldn't work in the ocean, right?) according to the currents. the currents would have different strengths, resulting in different energy output. Also, maybe a bonus for kinetic wind generators sitting over the ocean or deep ocean, because the wind is stronger over water due to the nonexistance of anything to block it?

• xD Since that you guys try to hack out a system make something and try to make a map for the coders so that they have something to work with.
    I will sit here and watch you guys while i update ic2 Classic.

• well, a randomized current map for oceans wouldn't be TOO hard, though it would be quite complicated if you were going to look at terrain on the sides to adjust it after. maybe we could actually get something like the streams mod for oceans, but much stronger, sou you'd need a boat to go against the current. Unlikely, but possible.

EDIT: 1 "o"