How would I make and release an ic2 themed pack?

• It's not definite yet, but it seems FTB is dropping ic2. A few months ago jaded said there would be up to 10 smaller packs and not 4 big ones. each pack would have its own power type. "The intricate power systems woudl be in their own pack."

Now they have stated that there are still only going to be 4 packs. One magic, one Lite type pack, one tech pack and one secret pack. The tech pack will be RF for sure. Im not holding my breath thinking the secret pack by Eyamaz will be ic2 and MJ type mods.

What id like to do is make a pack that has more challenging mods, BC forestry, railcraft and ic2 as a base, but Im wondering if anyone else has an interest here in making and releasing a pack like this. maybe an 'official IC2 pack'? I know people still play ic2 without gt, so maybe two versions, one with ic2 and some addons, then another more hard mode version that adds GT?

Im posting this becasue I run into people fairly often who tell me they only make custom packs because they can't find say, a 'hard mode gt pack'. The demand is there, but now their only option is a custom pack.

The other issue is that once ftb drops ic2, hosting companies wont support the mod anymore. Right now with creeperhost I can send them a ticket and they will help me with my son's Lite2 world, but if I make a custom ic2 pack I am on my own. Im not sure how this works behind the scenes, but is there a way to make an 'old school' pack and get it supported by companies like fragnet and creeperhost?

Or is this all a waste of time? It seems people who come here all use custom packs, is ic2 and gt becoming a tech version of Better Than Wolves, with a small loyal following, but not much notoriety? Should I just make my own custom pack and play SSP?

Releasing a pack is not easy. The AT Launcher is not taking new packs, Technic has some weird bad history with modders that I dont know about, and FTB... well I personally cant do it because im uh... banned there. heh.

Just wondering if anyone here has any interest in this? if not, ill just make my own custom pack i guess.

• Official Post

FTB is dropping ic2

Not dropping IC2, simply only using RF based mods. Ironically Forestry doesn't, but does add bees, so is in a really interesting place.

seems

It is. No seem about it

FTB... well I personally cant do it because im uh... banned there. heh.

gg

An IC2 themed pack IMO would be best with MJ too, as IC2 on it's own lacks things like auto-farming that Forestry could add and the pipe flexibility that Buildcraft adds. Sure you could make it, but I doubt it will ever get that publicised/used, as non RF mods just aren't the trend right now.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• I say go for Technic. Their bad history has been cleared up since the old days, I don't think even Forestry has that weird bee thing anymore, and I'm fairly sure that they need permission to put mods in the pack. I've actually been thinking of making a similar pack, and I'd be glad to help (as soon as I get back from vacation :P)

Now you see me, now you don't...

• @Choco: has it been said somewhere that ic2 is out of ftb for good? Or are you just as sure as i am?

I agree MJs would be needed, forestry, railcraft, bc for pipes and gates.

I do think it woudl get used, but obviously not as popular as the RF mods.

@xbony: thanks. Im thinking of trying just a basic ic2 pack with the MJ old favorites, etc. No thermal expansion or those mods, just ic2 as the main tech mod. Or two versions, one with just ic2, one with GT added.

@blockmaster, sure if you are itnerested PM me. I get less time towards minecraft than most people do though.

I think the RF mods are popular for the same reason World of Warcraft became popular. the only thing you need to win... is to play. Time is the only limiting factor, there really is no way to truly lose. With rf mods you might be stuck on figuring out why a pipe wouldn't work but even the minor setbacks of ic2 and having a machine explode are, I think, too much for a lot of people's egos to handle.

People try to put together an ic2 power system and just fail and giveup. Ive helped people who were at that point. They jsut couldn't do it, no matter how hard they tried.

With rf power that really cannot ever happen. At worst something just fails to run, but you are never penalized for doing something wrong.

So unfortunately I think rf will always be the most popular. It's the Farmville of Modded MC. Everyone wins.

• Official Post

@Choco: has it been said somewhere that ic2 is out of ftb for good? Or are you just as sure as i am?

They said that packs will aim to only use one power source, and that's RF. IC2 doesn't and won't use RF, so unless Dire adds it to his pack (which he probably will), I doubt any of the big FTB packs will have IC2 in.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• [tinfoilhat]
    It's almost like since the Curse announcements of buying FTB, the FTB team has been pushing to anything CoFH related as the core in their packs.
    Just imagine how convenient it is to have a launcher that can pick mods a-la-appstore from curseforge(much like WoW addons) and have them working over a single, completely under control API for Energy/Transport/WorldGen.
    I also suspect CofH team is going to fully flesh out itemducts so they can start pushing against the new Buildcraft / RedPower3 / ProjectRed. Since despite all the FUD BC/RP are making a comeback.
    [/tinfoilhat]

But drama aside , yeah , pretty much custom packs or Gregtech

On the plus side direwolf20 is giving IC2 some screentime recently :D

also ...

Hai !

• Official Post

I also suspect CofH team is going to fully flesh out itemducts so they can start pushing against the new Buildcraft / RedPower3 / ProjectRed.

Extra Utilities only needs to add a filler, then Buildcraft can and will be dropped, Redpower 3 will be too late. ProjectRed might end up leaning towards COFH and don't forget about BluePower, which won't touch RF so might help the push against it.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Ironically Forestry doesn't, but does add bees, so is in a really interesting place.

Bad news everyone! Now Sengir has opened the rights on Forestry so that anyone can edit or fork it, an RF version is probably going to be made. So Forestry could fall to the dark side!

I see this too much.

• I like a MJ/EU pack with only IC2, Buildcraft, Forestry, railcraft and (optionally of course) GT more than a pack with 100+ mods that use RF.In my opinion, TE is VERY unbalanced, and VERY easy.Its like modded minecraft with machines for a 6 year old children :P

• I like a MJ/EU pack with only IC2, Buildcraft, Forestry, railcraft and (optionally of course) GT more than a pack with 100+ mods that use RF.In my opinion, TE is VERY unbalanced, and VERY easy.Its like modded minecraft with machines for a 6 year old children :P

*cough*
    minecraftforum
    *cough*

I find TE machines to be alright , but I don't like the Embrace Extend Extinguish approach to modding, so yeah, the mod is alright but its intent was/is mostly to 1UP Buildcraft/IC2
    Also , TE4 just implemented overclockers.

Im playing Mechanical Titan

Its mostly the mods thrown together, updating IC2 to the last build.No RailCraft yet tho.Also the IC2 tin/copper worldgen is disabled for some reason.

• I am already working on an IC2 pack that could run for official, still getting some permissions settled. I'm not spoiling it on what the pack will be like. Plus I want to gett coding started so I can add my mod to that pack in later updates.

• I say go for Technic. Their bad history has been cleared up since the old days, I don't think even Forestry has that weird bee thing anymore, and I'm fairly sure that they need permission to put mods in the pack. I've actually been thinking of making a similar pack, and I'd be glad to help (as soon as I get back from vacation :P)

AT Launcher actually. Better group of people.