Suggestion: Chain Saw One shot trees like timber

• :huh: ?

There was a thread posted about this 3 days ago, it's not too much to ask to read back through some of the older threads to see if your suggestion was already submitted.

• I like this idea :D but it is kinda over powered so... Why not make it take double the energy but instead you have to right click the bottom of the tree so you atleast have a option :D

• It's already insanely easy to farm trees with a chainsaw. It's as fast, if not faster, than cutting them down with a diamond pickaxe, you don't ever have to make another one, and recharging it isn't a hassle.

I really want some realistic tree felling, I really really do, but I understand there is extreme difficulty in transforming blocks aligned to the grid into a free-floating entity governed by physics to mimic a tree falling sideways. The reason trees haven't been able to fall so far is that to do so would require a complete rewrite of the game engine to allow for trees, and floating landmasses to fall, and somehow realign themselves to the world grid to keep the processing load down. I don't know much about programming but I do understand the difficulty with having to work within limits. That's why there is a timber mod, someone wanted a better way to do it.

If you want the chainsaw to function like an axe does in the timber mod, then look up how to integrate the chainsaw into that mod. I'm certain there is a way. (for those of you who don't know, you can place a ladder on the side of a tree to climb up it and chop it down from the top. I know this isn't the same, but it works.

I'm posting this in both chainsaw threads to hope for some amount of finality on this issue, and to draw attention that there are 2 threads in existence ?(.

• Silly Part:Well duh, Everyone knows how quickly you can chop down a tree with a chainsaw in comparison to a diamond PICKAXE!

Serious Part: Someone made a mod that made logs behave like sand did when falling. This did cause some minor issues, namely some branch setups instantly falling, but it was a minor issue, since trees got roots. I have to wonder if it would be possible feasible to make it behave similar to sand, except it does not fall if the rest of the logs cannot fall either. Leaves would also fall similarly(but not be checked for whether they have room, and will be removed, and act as though destroyed in that case), so it would gradually move itself downwards, hence becoming shorter as you cut it down. It would at least be an improvement, of feasible.

• Also, that one mod (the logs acting like sand) had a bit of a graphical bug where I would chop down, say, a birch tree. After chopping one, all of the rest of the logs became the default wood block. It was annoying. Does anyone know if that's been fixed?

• Official Post

Also, that one mod (the logs acting like sand) had a bit of a graphical bug where I would chop down, say, a birch tree. After chopping one, all of the rest of the logs became the default wood block. It was annoying. Does anyone know if that's been fixed?

You must be talking about TehKrush's mod. It no longer falls like sand, but instead the entire tree falls like in Terraria.

• Official Post

Floating trees might not make much sense, but a whole tree transforming into pieces just by cutting the bottom doesn't either. Not having to cut trees multiple times makes it way too overpowered.

what happens when you cut a tree IRL??? the whole thing comes down.... hardly over powered, its more realistic in my opinion, and for anyone replying with (but its minecraft) well think about this....
    you mine and mine resources, surely the simplest task of gathering wood shouldn't be sooo much time consuming, especially since we now have rubber trees and you cant simply cut down normal trees and stick them in an extractor,

but hey just me thoughts everyone's welcome to challenge it

• As the title says, it would be nice if the chain saw would cut down a tree like the timber mod. Basically if you chop down the bottom piece of the tree, all other parts of the tree also break and fall down.

What's keeping you from just installing the Timber mod?
    At least in IC1 mods containing this feature (such as Nature Overhaul) worked without problems.