Suggestion: Make Nuclear Reactors spit out Empty Buckets.

• This is just a suggestion.

When you place a bucket of water in the Reactor (when its hot) the water will evaporate leaving only a empty bucket. I don't like how the bucket stays in the reactor after the water evaporates.

Making the Reactors spit out empty buckets would allow a automated Cooling system, which would involve BuildCraft.

Automated Cooling System:
    1, A empty Bucket gets sent to the pump via build craft pipes.
    2, The pump turns the Bucket into a Bucket of Water.
    3, The Bucket of water gets sent to the Nuclear Reactor via BuildCraft pipes.
    4, The Nuclear Reactor uses the Bucket of water to cool down, leaving a empty bucket.
    5, The Empty Bucket gets spit out.
    6, A obsidian pipe collects the Empty bucket.
    7 Rinse and repeat.

For step 6, it would also be nice if the nuclear reactor would spit the buckets out in a chest that is placed beside the reactor. This way you could use a simple engine to extract the empty bucket.

• yes, definitly want this.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• I would Love this feature to be implemented it would however be massively O.P. allowing you to run a mark V for a full cycle without explosive consequence of any kind

• Already can if you download the allocator mod.

Just simply place the allocator next to the nuclear reactor and place an empty bucket in the allocator's filter. Supply the allocator with an on/off (alternating) redstone current and place a chest next to it to collect the buckets.

Just simply place the allocator next to the nuclear reactor and place an empty bucket in the allocator's filter. Supply the allocator with an on/off (alternating) redstone current and place a chest next to it to collect the buckets.

the allocator mod has filter function now? omg W00T

Can't do that. The Allocator mod is a SSP mod only. I plan on running IC2 on my server.

I started my IC2 world in SSP, and when SMP version gets released I will be transferring my SSP world to my SMP sever.

So... The nuclear reactor spits out basically everything anyways.
    I don't know how to use java, but I'm sure all you would have to do is add the empty bucket to the Nuclear Reactor Spit out list.
    Obviously easier said then done. Just seems really reasonable.
    There is no reason for Empty buckets to be in the nuclear reactor anyways.

Another way is using Ice blocks to cool down the reactor. But in 1.8 the snow biome is gone so it will be harder to get snowballs. So it will be harder to make Ice blocks.

So... The nuclear reactor spits out basically everything anyways.
    I don't know how to use java, but I'm sure all you would have to do is add the empty bucket to the Nuclear Reactor Spit out list.
    Obviously easier said then done. Just seems really reasonable.
    There is no reason for Empty buckets to be in the nuclear reactor anyways.

Another way is using Ice blocks to cool down the reactor. But in 1.8 the snow biome is gone so it will be harder to get snowballs. So it will be harder to make Ice blocks.

It spits it out? i thought that it got destroyed
    as i thought so that you could reuse the buckets

the snow biome is gone in 1.8?!? are you sure? the biomes are much larger now you know

• It spits it out? i thought that it got destroyed
    as i thought so that you could reuse the buckets

the snow biome is gone in 1.8?!? are you sure? the biomes are much larger now you know

After you place a bucket of water in the Nuclear Reactor. The Nuclear Reactor will cool down, by I think 500 or so heat. The empty bucket stays in the Nuclear Reactor though. It does not destroy the bucket. Nor spit it out.

I was suggesting for the nuclear reactor to spit out buckets so I could make it a fully automated water cooled.

Jeb_ said he had to remove the snow biome at the last second. It was causing some bugs. It will return in 1.9.

• Sorry about that, the allocator mod is open sourced so if you know code you could make it into a server mod.

• have you noticed you can use wooden pipes to EXTRACTS stuff from reactors? If you time the clocks right, you can get a bucket to cool the reactor EVERY tick (+500 heat stable setup, nice to meet you!) and then pull the empty one out.

Now, is there any automated way to FILL buckets ... ? Edit: BC pump?

• have you noticed you can use wooden pipes to EXTRACTS stuff from reactors? If you time the clocks right, you can get a bucket to cool the reactor EVERY tick (+500 heat stable setup, nice to meet you!) and then pull the empty one out.

I have tried extracting the buckets with a wooden pipe. This works, the only problem is the wooden pipe will also extract the Uranium cells. Which I don't want. I know I could re-direct the Uranium cells back in to the reactor. It just does not work well.

This i tried and it is An Absolute Agony to get the timing right so you either end up overflowing buckets, extracting full buckets or blowing up your reactor

• Official Post

Using Buildcraft and equivalent Exchange -- you can do the bucket autofill thing. Use an 'Evertide Amulet' which, when combined with an empty bucket, produces a water bucket (and does not use up the evertide amulet --- basically, unlimited water).

I have been thinking about doing a buildcraft system with the auto crafting table to do this -- but without being able to reliably get the empty bucket out of the nuclear reactor, I was going to use compressors to make ice and feed them in.

• Using Buildcraft and equivalent Exchange -- you can do the bucket autofill thing. Use an 'Evertide Amulet' which, when combined with an empty bucket, produces a water bucket (and does not use up the evertide amulet --- basically, unlimited water).

I have been thinking about doing a buildcraft system with the auto crafting table to do this -- but without being able to reliably get the empty bucket out of the nuclear reactor, I was going to use compressors to make ice and feed them in.

I am not a fan of Equivalent Exchange. Also Equivalent Exchange is only a SSP mod. I am waiting for the SMP version of IC2. I was just testing how things worked first in SSP.

• There is an addon for buildcraft that fills buckets with water. I set up a really complex system that actually does manage 500 h/s cooling on a reactor. Works pretty well, actually

Overview

4 buckets of water in at a time, they stay in for about 3.75 seconds, plenty of time for the reactor to use them. IHD is so i can keep a general idea of reactor temp.

Buckets go in, and are pulled back out the same pipe. Diamond pipe sorts the still full buckets from the buckets that need refilling(for when reactor is idle or still heating up, nothing will break this setup)

Everything uses sequencers so all 4 buckets get there at once

Pump auto refills and delivers to main chest

Sequencers handle extraction. All 4 buckets arrive almost at the same time, then are extracted at the exact same moment, and are replaced a quarter of a second later.

It all works, and i think that setup was managing a constant 245 EU/t, the best I've ever managed. Wooo!

• Official Post

I am not a fan of Equivalent Exchange. Also Equivalent Exchange is only a SSP mod. I am waiting for the SMP version of IC2. I was just testing how things worked first in SSP.

Latest post on the EE forum has x3n0 talking about a server he setup at his house to test the SMP version, he promises that its coming.

• Yes auto waterbucket production can easily be achieved even without EE however you are using the old BC version with redstone activation
    I was using the redstone engine and that is much harder to time
    BTW i like your system nice work there :)

I think that ill go with snow and ice method personally