Randomized (deterministic) energy capacity acquired through discovery!

• Official Post

It has nothing to do with breaking the tech tree. What I was getting at was it didn't fit into it at all, a similar way crops don't. Modular energy storage just seems unnecessary if it's optional, and you have the guarantee of a Batrbox/CESU/MFE/MFSU with no messing around with annoying crafting components trying to invent your own storage unit. I have thought about it, merely it isn't something I'd see as a useful feature for the long list of things that it would need to work.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• how much work it would be depends upon the way current storage blocks work, when you just have storage block code with parameters for capacity, discharge rate, voltage, name, ID and so on, then you just need to replicate the code and add the paramters, and the rest is really only thinking about combinations and the hash function. Anyway, there might be people who want IC(not IC1, the general IC) with more complexity, but not GT grade complexity, and there might be server owners who want some extra challenge for the players. Although if it is optional, then it could be an add-on as well. Also I would think that you could simply make the possible results better than usual storage blocks, maybe allowing QEV(Quad Extreme Voltage), and ading some machine that uses it. basically, it either becomes an add-on or becomes something you have to do in orer to progress to some upper tiers or something like that.

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

IC Related Quotes thread. If you ever need some good puns.

• Official Post

The next step above EV is IV by the way. What would you suggest that would need that much power, or even generate that much?

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• it would be a way of making the suggestion useful that went through my head, and it might not fit very well, but yes. I have no idea what, though.

also, IV was once called QEV, I think.

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

• Please note that this suggested feature is not intended to break linear progression...
    You can have whatever linear progression you like.
    Even though I hate where IC2 exp is going to right now...

What I am trying to do here is to make things feels a bit more different every time, even with same set of machines

Instead of thinking DEV determines what game experience players will have.
    Why don't just leave it to them?

After all, I still don't get why this feature don't work...
    If you simply mean we can try it out in creative mode without losing anything.. thats how players do it.. and thats how real world do it! That is even how human life works!
    What else can it be? Everything else in IC2 works the same way like that, except they are whole lot simpler and much more conrete than this system I am suggesting.

• I like IC2, it hasn't stopped being fun, which I think is where our core differences lay.

IC2 has a linear progression, you must do things to achieve other things. It has always been like this. Thermal Expansion, Extra Utilities, MFR etc. have no progression, you can go from A -> Z without doing most of the other letters, including not starting out with A to get to the end goal. There's nothing about the devs forcing people to do anything, merely stick to the tech tree, which most modern mods just don't have. IC2 doesn't fit with a random, isn't necessary, jump stages feature (partly the reason crops never worked out), and what you're suggesting fits directly into this. IC2 is not TE or MFR, you have to make certain things to progress, and that's that. Nothing modular that lets you skip bits, nothing there just to undercut some other mod's feature, just a somewhat flexible tech tree that you must follow in order to get to the "end".

Amen to that.

I'm not a big fan of having 99 mods and being able to go from a>z in an hour.

I love IC (and now IC2 (and now IC2 exp)) for what is is, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health.

• now that i think about it.. we should really leave the details to the devs.

• I personally don't see much reason to be so complex on this subject. The effort x feature ratio is just not worth it.

The reason I brought this up is because I noticed IC2 exp is attempting to complicated most things we already have.
    Which is great in some aspect...
    But after that, eventually people will conquer all of the difficulties you had created and make everything so "simple" again...
    So, I am thinking that, instead of complicates everything by hard coding everything, why dont we just make it dynamic?

Without some what dynamic gaming experience, players eventually will get bored very quickly and DEV had to complicates everything even more (without dynamics) and you see the endless loop..

It is not a good loop..
    It simply trying to save experience player by giving worse gaming experience to new players (who have no idea how everything works)
    But eventually, old players will leave; yet no more new players are joining this game or mod anymore... That will be the end, an unhappy end..

All I am trying to do is to break that unhappy loop. And that is my reason. (Assuming IC2 DEV will get that far.. if IC2 development is abandoned.. oh well...)

• Official Post

But eventually, old players will leave; yet no more new players are joining this game or mod anymore... That will be the end, an unhappy end..

That is already what has happened/is happening. You weren't around during Industrial Rage and stuff? The user base has more than halved since then (it's sadly closer to 1/3). This has already happened, it's too late to overhaul IC2 a second time (look where it got us the first). Our best chance is to fix what we have, concentrate on the E-net, mainly cable melting/shocks/explosions to get what people really liked about IC2 (apart from the people that complained about it just before it got removed) back.

I see this too much.