[WIP] Automatic Forge & IC2 Updater/Installer

• Hey guys, I just scripted a little tool for automatic Forge & IC2 Updating/Installing. It automatically updates your IC version to the newest working build. It can be installed in the manual mode (=you have to start the script every time you want to update) or in the autostart mode (=the script will run at system boot).

If you don´t trust me (virus etc.) look at post 3 and 4 ;)

Windows 7, 8, 8.1 (not compatible with Vista/XP)

OS X

Linux

Will you use it? Tell me!

To do list

So, have fun with it :D

P.S. Please tell me, if something isn´t working. It´s still WIP so expect mistakes.

• sounds nice, although i doubt that there are many people who like IC² but don't know how to install mods with forge. It's still a convenience though. Although I doubt it will be used very much if it isn't put into the main IC² update thread or something like that.

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

IC Related Quotes thread. If you ever need some good puns.

• Here are some problems I see with it:
    1. Especially given how new you seem to be to this forum (12 posts as of me writing this reply), I doubt many people would trust your copies of 7za and wget, or that "START.cmd" downloads and sets up other commands automatically.
    2. It downloads the archive, then deletes the api and dev jars, so it's slightly wasteful. (admittedly, I'm not sure it would be practical to program getting the regular jar file by itself using just a .cmd file)
    3. It uses a hard-coded path for where to put the extracted jar (though easily editable by those who understand .cmd files), so it's not immediately usable for those who have set up Minecraft in an alternate folder (I use MultiMC, but even with the default launcher, it's possible to specify an alternate folder for storing files for a given profile).
    4. Some people (myself included) will want to view the changelog first to find out if it's worth using and safe.

• blub01:
    okay, thanks

MauveCloud:
    1. If you want to check the files, no problem :) Check the md5 sum of the files
    Wget: Link to the download website (I used the newest version)
    7za: Link to the download website (I used the 9.38 Beta (7zip extra))
    If you want to follow the steps, you can simply add a "pause" after each line and look what its doing. You will see nothing malicious. :D

2. Jep, that´s not exactly brilliant, I´m looking forward to fix it.

3. Good idea. I will add an option for it!

4. Okay, I will add some more information!

So thank you for your criticism, it is only helpful.

• It should install Forge as well. Only installing/updating IC2 is a matter of seconds. If you're already doing an installer, make it install Forge as well.

• and maybe some more famous add-ons could be intallable with this as well.. this could turn out to be really nice.

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

IC Related Quotes thread. If you ever need some good puns.

• Hey guys, huge update for the WIN program. To see what changed, look into the changelog. ATM I´m focusing on the WIN version because 95% are using it.

ATGeorge:
    Okay, this function will be added in the future but first I want to fix the problems/improve the program Feature added!

blub01:
    yes, the most popular add-ons (like GT) would be an option.

Thanks for the ideas :)

Edit: Again a huge update for the WIN program. Now the program can also install MC Forge! :D