Can crops beat out MFR and Forestry tree farms for energy production?

• nothing accurate, but i know that after a few(like, 3 or 4) breeding cycles i got a yield of 3-4 per plant and they grew very fast the one time i tried out crops, but i don't know if it was more or less than a minute. it should be easily possible to get them to grow in under a minute though, and maybe even produce 10+ items per growth cycle, too.

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

IC Related Quotes thread. If you ever need some good puns.

• Here's how you can make a lot of energy with MFR and crops :
    Plant 80 sugar canes
    Put one MFR harvester OR one ic2 crop harvester in the middle (and 4 puddles of water all around to keep the soil wet while being able to put energy in and items out of the harvester)
    Repeat this setup if 1k sugar cane/hour isn't enough and make biomass
    And btw, with GregTech and TE / TC you can use an autonomous activator / use golem in order to harvest the crops without the need of energy (I heard recently that the autonomous activators require power, that might be new) and if you have a sense factory

Java script, which happens to be the language in which minecraft is coded

• XD Well when we go for Powerproduction then the Forestry farms unbeatable.
    Because with 2 Farms you can produce a tone of power....
    You just combine and Orchard with a Treefarm (both have his own farm setup)
    and then you need to process a little bit of stuff and the result is a huge power production...

Orchard: Produces Fruits which you make to the oil form. (Maybe seedoil or Fruitjouce do not know really)
    The oil you pump into a fermenter which you use Saplings in what you gain from the farm
    and then you have a 150% gain of Biomass... Which you can turn into biofuel but which makes the system
    less efficent...
    The Wood you gain you can turn into charcoal. If you want to go a rout further you create with Railcraft
    creositeOil which can be also used in a fermenter/boiler.

Also the extra seedoil which will leftover can be used as fuel also..

So you turn 2 farms into 5 possible fuelsources:
    Charcoal, Seedoil/fruitjouce, Biomass, Biofuel, CreositeOil.

• I also think that you could create out of Potatos much more power then with sugar canes.
    Why? In combination with the ExtraUtils food generator you can produce a lot of power just with 1 cooked potato...
    Now a 64x Food generator with a big potato farm is pretty good.

But something that can't be beaten at all is a Gas Farm.
    That can produce with 5-10 cows enough gas to keep a max size boiler constantly running.
    Which is 400-600EU per tick.
    xD And with one farm the maxium power that can be produced is limited to how much the game can keep up with entities xD

I saw a setup that was able to produce enought to 16 boilers constantly.
    How much cows that were i can not remember but i think he had maybe 30-40.
    xDD

(Note: The scale on gas production is about +4x times the entity scale so do not wander why the numbers are not fitting and when the numbers go to high the scale goes down to +-1,2)

• Actually the super trees I bred, have high fruit yield (from plums) but they're instant, because they're apples, you end up with way more than enough fruit juice, despite the fact that you've got high sappling drop rate (from balsa).

And I"m not too sure about charcoal to boiler math, but with a syngas producer each log is worth 128,000 RF (via wood pulp)

Culinary generator certainly sounds interesting, wonder if it can beat bioreactor.

• right, the culinary generator. it is SO OP with toast, from pam's harvestcraft i think, which gives like 15 food and 5 saturation points, and is made by smelting bread, and i think pam's haarvestcraft also adds the possibility to make bread by smelting one flour which is crafted with one shapeless wheat, so one wheat to one toast, which gives tons of power in the culinary generator.

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

• It can beat a bioreactor since the effiency of the bioreactor is very low when you produce power with only 1 type.

The charcoal... Well it is possible. You need just a large supply at the start to heat up. And it also depends which trees you use. I would go with jungle or brich wood...
    Apple trees is not a good way because handling them would give something which you can use to rais the effency but the supply of that from each tree is so low that it would make your system only slower.
    Also i would not go with Plums, at the orchard. Nuts/chestnuts are way more powerfull...

Also as i said the exses oil/fruityouce you can use to create more power. (Biogas engine)

• breeding

Well bees is funny trees is complex....

But you are right but not the 3x3 (5x5 of the giant) is not the problem. Even with 1 layer its about 100 blocks he need to harvest.... And doing 2 per second at max speed is not that fast...

• The trees on my farm are

Saplings :high (balsa)
    matures: fast (apple oak)
    height : largest (sequoia)
    girth : 1x1 (apple oak)
    yield (fruit): high (plum, it is an actually plum tree)
    sappiness: high (blue mahoe)
    fireproof: no (didnt' bother)
    effect: none (know little about this)

Definitely way way more apples and fruit juice than are needed, I didn't know I could generate power from pure fruit juice, may have to do that.

And I don't think we should compare MFR bioreactor while using one crop type, that's not how it shines. Still, it's buffer is a bit much, if I finish my IC2 crop breeding/bioreactor set up I'll definitely be piling stacking a large number of biogeneators, I'm already hording slimeballs.

My automatic spectral bee Blaze creator, loot sword slaughtering setup produces tons of mob essence, I've got an autospawner, there, that can kick in whatever creature I like to the slaugther.....only problem with this machine is sometimes this happens:

At first it was an issue of when the sword breaks, I set up redstone to shut the machine off when that happens, but sometimes a blaze gets stuck in the floor, denying others access to death.

• well cool situation. I really enjoy that you use also buildcraft.
    To kill them fast i would use a Tesslercoil. That should kill them all instantly with the first big power hub. You should go a little bit away when that happends....

Funfact: With IC2 classic or ic2 1.4.7 you just could build a highvolatage cage and kill every blaze instantly without extreme powercosts.... (Well no mobessens) but you get the drops.

Little note: with that cablesystem i did make (in combination with my mod) a really fast & powerfull mobgrinder that used cursed earth and electricty and 2 hidden features xD and the result of that made me a extremly powerfull mobfarm.
    That thing was 10 Times more efficent than usual... Because of my entity Lurer... Well with the enderio atractor it will be possible to but it has a really less range...
    And the second hidden feature was making me so much exp in that time that i just had no idea what doing with it (in 30 min i got 300k Exp which is with my block about 300k mB mobEssens xD)
    Note: You can rebuild that also with a droptower but you will need at least 16 grinders to prevent an overflow of Monsters... Because if to many monsters survive then you have big trouble. In these 30 minutes i got enough monsters to kill more than 20 servers at once....

• Sounds fun, I don't know much about cursed earth, haven't added that "extra utilities" mod.

For now I can't use tesla for it generally, because I need Looting 3, to keep the bees respawning the blazes, and to power my reactant dynamos.

It sure can be hard to know where to draw the line on what's over powered, I admit, I'm curious about those cuilinary generators, and the idea that you can stack one into 64 is fairly appealing too.

So what's the total power on a piece of toast?

As for charcoal, if we're willing to get obscene with our infrastructure, to wring all we can out of a given amount of crop space:

1 charcoal + slag + niter (easliy mass produced) can produce in a phytogenic isolator

96 pumpkin seeds
    224 melon seeds
    64 potatoes
    64 cocoa beans
    64 carrots
    32 sugar
    or 32 wheat + seeds (seed numbers depending on augments.

plug that into Bioreactor or cuilnary generator, and the power of a tree farm becomes nuts. And much better than that if you've got a reliable way that gets you Rich Slag

• Actually, now that I know you can run a melon through a lumbermill and get 8 slices (or seeds) I begin to wonder if it's even worth mixing ingredients in the bioreactor.

You can get 80 millibuckets on just the seeds, or 160 if you mix everything, but nothing else can be produced at nearly that rate, at least not in phytogenics.

What about IC2 Crops? Do they spit out full melons? Does a melon crop with equal gain produce the same number of melons as other crops? The potential of pure melon seed is huge, I think I'm going to set up a test run.

• Looks like the FTB page I was looking at gives some pretty old intel on bioreactors. On the current MFR version, you only get 5 mb when using a single crop....so yeah, 1/16th of what I had planned on. No unstoppable watermelon seed empire for me.

• leave out wheat, you average 102.4 items per charcoal in a phytogenic isolator

5 types of items in bioreactor gives 275 per item these days.

so 102.4 * .275 = 28.16 buckets of biofuel (26,048,000 RF) per charcoal.

and I honestly don't think it'll be that awful to set this up. Making such an insane amount of energy per block of wood gives tree farms a boost for sure.

Edit: About 4x all this if you get yourself a steady supply of rich slag.

• My 12x10 tree farm, which was designed to do wood and biomass about equally well is producing about 3.7 logs per second

3.7 charcoal x 26,048,000 x 4 (if we use rich slag) = 385,510,400/sec = 19,275,520 RF/t

I suppose I'll be setting up a laser drill to get a steady source of redstone ore (need it anyhow) which is a steady source of rich slag.

Of course word on the street is the bioreactor only produces 1mb/tick

I think I'd need almost 21,000 bioreactors to convert those plant goodies as fast as made, and I think around 400 speed upgraded phytogenic insolators, resonant, with full speed upgrades.

and if we're still planning to burn this stuff up in efficiency maximized compression dynamos: We'll need 321,259 of them.

Clearly 120 pieces of land allocated to MFR tree farming can in this way offer an insane amount of power. Reduced:

per piece of land:
    160,629.33333333333333333333333333 rf/t
    3.3 phytogenic insolators (note, not enough to get plant variety we need)
    175 bioreactors (ball park)
    2,677 compresion dynamos (if re rewired for speed instead of efficiency this would actually be pretty reasonable at small scale.)

Or it will take about 29 full sized of my beloved AG gas turbines, which offer 800,000 RF per bucket, so only 138,922 Rf/T that way.

Mind you all of this is ignoring the biomass energy.

For true silliness: We could stop using wood as a source of charcoal, and start using wheat from IC2 crops.
    2 wheat = 1 cow = 1 bucket of liquid meat (I think? maybe more) = 1/3 charcoal

so if you can make wheat 3 times as fast as wood, and we allow an insane number of cows to be bred to keep up with demand...yeah lol.

Heck, if you've got something like my blaze farm that's generating more Mob Essence than you'll ever need you could spawn zombie pigmen, harvest the gold, and use it, along with some of your carrots to make instant growth syringes for your cows.

I think what's cool about tree farm to phytogenic to bio is that you could actually do it quite well, fairly early game, without breeding your trees. Just a basic apple oak grows fast produces a respectable amount of wood, never mind fruit and saplings.

• uhm, with that crapton of mob essence, you could spawn cows directly, but what the heck. also, I checked what toast produces: 46000 and something rf per piece of wheat, an eigth charcoal/400RF i think, 1/2 bucket of water, and some cooking utensils as a single time investment, and some crafting of course, which could be easily automated with something like cyclic assemblers or extra utilities world interaction upgrades.

EDIT:

To be exact, you get 46396 RF from one piece of Toast.

• Nice. Oh and in the case of all that phyto stuff I overlooked something good, when using rich we only need 1/4 of the insolators. Of course when using rich we should factor in laser drill expense