[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• so after three literal hours of running around in an extreme hills biome, I didnt find a tin vein. I was tired of walking up mountians so I went into creative mode and flew around to try to find one, but still no luck. so im going to cheat in the ores. how many of each ore are in the average tin vein? who am I kidding, you guys have probobly never seen one either.

• I've discovered 3 cassiterite veins so far. As I discussed at some length a few pages back, what you want to do is dig vertical exploration shafts every 3 chunks. (I personally do spiral stairs rather than literal vertical shafts.) Because Gregtech veins are wide, thin rectangles, you'll almost always hit a vein digging vertically, and almost never hit one digging horizontally. While in theory you can spot exposed veins just by walking around in the mountains, my experience has been you'll miss 90% of the ores that way. Really the only exposed veins I've seen are magnetite and coal, and those are incredibly common.

As for "how much" the answer is a lot. Probably in the 1000 range. That's the way Gregtech veins are, they're a pain to find (except for the really common ones), but once you do, there's a ton of stuff to take back.

• Dig for your tin, its too hard to see otherwise. The only thing you need to be in extreme hills for is tetrahedtrite/stibnite. You might find tin or gold or bauxite while you're there, but you're there for tetrahedrite.

• There's that, too. While tin can spawn up to level 120, and thus it's possible to see it as a surface deposit in Extreme Hills, the minimum height is 40. It can spawn anywhere but under oceans, really. Extreme Hills are only really required for Tetrahedrite, since that's the only vein with a minimum height above 60.

Looking over the vein table, I realized that the high maximum height for tin rather screws generation. It has a moderate weight (50) which means it get selected often enough. It's just that if the ground height is 65-70, there's a 65% chance the RNG will choose a starting point that's air. Which is why the lithium salt veins, which also have a weight of 50, but a height range of 50-60, are much more common.

• So, apparently if you have a blast furnace with multiple fluid input hatches, that can prevent it from recognizing a valid recipe. I put together a blast furnace with oxygen and titanium tetrachloride input hatches and added magnesium. It wouldn't process. I removed the oxygen hatch, and it started right up making hot titanium ingots.

On the other hand, the blast furnace has no problem with extraneous materials in an input hatch. For example, if I've got calcite in there for smelting brown limonite, and the brown limonite runs out, it'll smelt the aluminum dust that's also in there.

• what tool am I supposed to break fluid pipes with? I made small bronze fluid pipes and they dont break with a wrench, like it says to. does the material of the wrench matter? my wrench is made of lead.

• what tool am I supposed to break fluid pipes with? I made small bronze fluid pipes and they dont break with a wrench, like it says to. does the material of the wrench matter? my wrench is made of lead.

The material could easily matter. I've never tried breaking pipes with a lead wrench, but I notice that such a wrench only has mining level 1, and bronze is a level 2 material.

• I've never tested this, either. I've always had level-2 or better wrenches - my first wrench was bronze.

One possibility it's that it's the wrong wrench. IC2 wrenches have a crafting recipe that's almost identical to Gregtech wrenches, and they look similar. The Gregtech wrench is the one with the recipe that involves a hammer. Remove the hammer and you get an IC2 wrench. IC2 wrenches will not break Gregtech machinery such as pipes.

Also, as long as I'm on the subject - wires require a wire cutter to break. That tripped me up when I first started playing, I thought they'd break with a wrench, like other Gregtech things.

Other mods may require a pickaxe or drill to break items. For example, if you break a Forestry machine with your hands, you destroy it instead of picking it up. That one got me too.

• One possibility it's that it's the wrong wrench. IC2 wrenches have a crafting recipe that's almost identical to Gregtech wrenches, and they look similar. The Gregtech wrench is the one with the recipe that involves a hammer. Remove the hammer and you get an IC2 wrench. IC2 wrenches will not break Gregtech machinery such as pipes.

That possibility is unlikely, since the IC2 wrench can only be made from bronze. A Forestry wrench also requires bronze, though fewer ingots and in a slightly different pattern (at least with IC2 installed; FTB wiki shows it having the same recipe as the IC2 wrench, so perhaps it normally uses 6, but changes the recipe if it detects IC2). Buildcraft wrenches are made from iron ingots and a stone gear. AE2 wrenches are made from certus quartz or nether quartz.

Looking on the FTB Wiki, I see a few other wrenches: A Charset wrench requires iron ingots and a stick; An Enhanced Portals 3 wrench is made from iron ingots and a piece of nether quartz; Extra Utilities 2: iron ingots, redstone, and some form of red dye.

As far as I can find, GregTech is the only mod that actually allows crafting a wrench with lead ingots.

• Good point. I didn't bother to research whether it was possible to build an IC2 wrench from lead before posting.

When you think about it, a lead wrench is pretty silly. Lead's a very soft metal unless you alloy it with antimony. When I was a kid I had a setup for casting lead soldiers, and you could bend the pure lead versions with your fingers. As I said, you could fix that by adding antimony - but that also made it much harder to melt them down again if there was a flaw in the casting.

• How to use auto maintenance hatch?

I've replaced steam turbine's maintenanced hatch with auto one, but it doesn't work. Put a stack of lubricant cells, steel screws, duct tapes and adv circuits.

Anyone can explane me how to use auto maintenance hatch?

Using GT 5.09.29 pre3, IC2 exp 2.2.827.

• I did a little messing around in Creative mode with the nuclear reactor.

Connecting wires to a reactor in EU mode is impossible, because there's no way to craft Industrialcraft wiring, and Gregtech wires won't connect. However, a batbox directly adjacent to an operating reactor does receive power, and that can be transformed to Gregtech power via a transformer.

The Wiki page for the Fluid Reactor is misleading. I read it to mean heat vents didn't work in fluid reactors, and they do. The absolute basic one-rod, one-heat-vent reactor produces 8 HU/t, as expected, and core temperature does not rise. Coolant can absorb heat from vents, not just the casing. Interestingly enough, the tooltip for heat vents says "cannot be used in fluid reactors," even though they work.

I wasn't sure you can automatically refuel fluid reactors. You can. It turns out that the Access Hatch can connect to item pipes. Which means you can refill a reactor with fuel rods automatically. I tested it with reactor plating since that's inert.

Automatically removing spent rods can't be done with Gregtech. It requires a mod that has filters at the item pipe level, like Thermal Foundation. Without a filter, the item pipe removes everything.

The thermal monitor from Nuclear Control 2 can be attached to an reactor access hatch, and it will read the reactor temperature, and emit redstone if it's above the target level. Setting up an automatic thermal shutoff should be easy enough.

• Well looks like my lead wrench was a waste. Found the lead in a village anyway so not a huge loss. Also, finally found a tin vein. I dug at least 50 holes down to bedrock, not finding any, then walked into the next biome and there was the tin just sitting out in the open.

I have a setup for processing ores with a steam macerator and steam furnace, but I couldn't get the gregtech pipes to put fluid into the boilers. I switched them out for buildcraft pipes and they worked fine. With the gt pipes, the water only went into the closest boiler. How do i get the pipes to evenly distribute water?

• I have a setup for processing ores with a steam macerator and steam furnace, but I couldn't get the gregtech pipes to put fluid into the boilers. I switched them out for buildcraft pipes and they worked fine. With the gt pipes, the water only went into the closest boiler. How do i get the pipes to evenly distribute water?

Why do you need them to evenly distribute the water? Once the closest boiler is full of water, others should start filling. Just keep in mind that it's safest to connect the water pipes at the bottom (whether they're GT pipes, buildcraft pipes, or any other pipes), since that's the only direction boilers won't output steam to.

• Which pipes you used?
    I am using Large Wooden Fluid Pipes, and they keep 2 High pressure coal Boilers and one Small bronze boiler full, never had a problem.

On another topic, I was looking for feathers to craft arrows today, and just found myself thinking: I have a factory full with lots of machines and technology, why can't fabricate an artificial substitute to feathers?
    Could we have something like a plastic substitute to feathers, please?