City Dweller trying his hands out at farming! ( request for help/clarification)

• Ok so i am understanding the basic i think

us the crop sticks 2 seed crops next to each other or diagonal and the empty tilled spot with 2 crop sticks per

So its random if i get a increase on stats.. or loose? Hoping to get better.

WEEDEX IS A NEVER USE? it makes the crops bad i am seeing? Why if the cropmatron gives it out?

I have been using a cropmatron as experimental just to see if it gives better chances/higher numbers? ( does it? ) ( using distilled water and fertalizer only)

Cropnalyzer wont take higher then adv backback for power.. the charging crystals/batpacks wont power it :(

My goal for this is ferru and Aurelia then redwheat!

so right now i have 4 plots of 4x4 for playing with getting better growth/yeild ( is there a positive for more resists other then trampeling?)
    This setup has the cropmatron helping..

I have another setup under it in the dark cept for redstone lights growing reeds/sugarcane with iron bars under them..

What advice can you guys give?

What mistakes have i made?

What can i do to improve upon this?

• weedex is a never use as it caps your crops stats, but if you don't need really crazy crops, it is not so bad. as far as i know, when you use weedex, it caps your crop's stats at 10, or it just makes it harder to get higher stats, I'm not quite sure on that. as it IS intended to help with weeds, it can beused by the cropmatron, though. I don't think the cropmatron gets you better results, but it keeps nutrition and humidity at a good level, so your crops will grow better just because of that. You can't LOOSE stats, but if you get an increase, it is random. Mutations are completely random as well, but for crops having tiers, and it is less likely to have a mutation with a higher tier than the crops you are using(aka the higher the tier ofn the mutation, the less likely you will get it, the higher the tier of the plants used for breeding, the more likely are higher tiers). Also, you will more likely get a mutation that is similar to the plants you used for breeding(don't really know how it works, but stuff like wheat and redwhat should be similar, although the mutation is still unlikely due to tier differences). Also to note is that if you crossbreed a plant with itself(wheatxwheat, reedxreed, etc), it is extremely unlikely to get a mutation. I hope that helps :)

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

IC Related Quotes thread. If you ever need some good puns.

• Official Post

Saying it's completely random is wrong, it is a rumour that has been circulating ever since they were added. Each crop has an internal value, and where that value lies on a scale determines what type of crop it is. The different crop tiers represent (large ish) jumps in values, so crops of the same tier have a higher chance of producing a crop of the same tier. It is because of this that breeding two of the same type of crop together is very unlikely to produce a different one, as the crop value has to be mutated a lot before it is different enough to be a different type of crop.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• but it is still safer to just not use it, spwnx. and as far as i know, there is quite a lot of randomness in cropbreeding, as you can get almost everything, if with a very low chance. cropbreeding is built upon probabilities, so it is in fact random, although some things are more probable than others.

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

• Official Post

There were many changed in the crop code a few IC2 versions back. maybe it changed?

Thunderdark was reworking them, but disappeared before much other than moving the file locations about and allowing the cropmatron to accept water. I doubt it'd change so Weed-EX had no effect, it might just not have the harrowing effects people think it does.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Damn cheats

I see this too much.

• so my idea of keeping iron under the reed is ok just not expecting a result yet?

i am growing in a desert area so i figure the cropmatron is making things better for the moment? ( keeping it watered enough)

I wish there was a better way to work this.. the growing/increasing grow speed/yeild should be complex but i feel the cross breeding should be more controlled / goal achivable with a plan and not random luck?

• oh right, the biome. crops grow best in swamps/jungles, as these have the highest humidity i think, and higher than *insert forgotten y level here*, so better move your breeding area.

• Official Post

*insert forgotten y level here*

128. Crops were added in 1.1 after all.

I see this too much.

• oh right, the biome. crops grow best in swamps/jungles, as these have the highest humidity i think, and higher than *insert forgotten y level here*, so better move your breeding area.

so as long as its above 128 in a swamp biome then it has the best chance without a cropmatron or does a cropmatron give as good a chance? ( IE is there a reason to have it still in the right zone or does the cropmatron do anything really? )

• Official Post

The cropmatron will make sure that the crops have as high a hydration and fertilisation value as possible, but a bad biome with a cropmatron is worse than a swamp without one. But having one in a swamp just gives you the best chance of good crops.

I see this too much.

• The cropmatron will make sure that the crops have as high a hydration and fertilisation value as possible, but a bad biome with a cropmatron is worse than a swamp without one. But having one in a swamp just gives you the best chance of good crops.

good! crops will just be better in swamp @ 128..

question thoough.. what encourages crossbreeding? IE not stat increases but new crops? IE i have iron under my reeds but i bet its not changing anything yet?

• Official Post

Crossbreeding is normally having different types of crops that are (optionally) different tiers, as they seems to change the values the most. Depending on what you're going for depends on what works best, but since there is an aspect of randomness there too, just playing pick and mix with the crops will get you something new after a few runs.

I see this too much.

• Crossbreeding is normally having different types of crops that are (optionally) different tiers, as they seems to change the values the most. Depending on what you're going for depends on what works best, but since there is an aspect of randomness there too, just playing pick and mix with the crops will get you something new after a few runs.

problem is which crops is best to mix / highest chance.. and how much experimentation Ie would it be best to have 50 plots to have a resonable chance to get what i want within a timeframe? or would 5-10 be resonable ( IE within a hour or three of game time)

• FIRST CROSSBREED!!!

I got a StickyReed 4 1 2... ( this was before a world edit ( see other post by me))

the question is now.. what to do with it?

if i understand right a seed pouch plant always returns its pouch with picked? So i plan on planting it soon and trying to crossbreed with anotehr reed to make more?

I presume this is the better idea to make more or is it just trying again and hoping?

also i read that resists make it harder to crossbreed? or did i misunderstand?

I am thinking breed for growth first.. then breed the quantity ? or is the quantity determine pouches?

• there's always a good chance to get one of the plants you crossbred, so it is better to try breeding the stickreed. don't know aboput seedpouches, but if i recall correctly, they had a chance of dropping.

• there's always a good chance to get one of the plants you crossbred, so it is better to try breeding the stickreed. don't know aboput seedpouches, but if i recall correctly, they had a chance of dropping.

was editing when you posted so will add here

also i read that resists make it harder to crossbreed? or did i misunderstand?

I am thinking breed for growth first.. then breed the quantity ? or is the quantity determine pouches?