Getting Reactor component's durability to 100% and/or being able to upgrade them...

• Hey All,

I was trying to cool a component in a reactor to 100% durability, so I could upgrade it, but I couldn't.

There are two bugs related to this, that I could find, but the end result seemed to me to be kinda open ended:

http://bt.industrial-craft.net/view.php?id=1560
    http://bt.industrial-craft.net/view.php?id=1687

If durability is actually temperature for components, since a component with half durability can regain it's durability simply by cooling, then are the components not *cooling* 100%, but getting to 9,999 out of 10,000? I don't know if that's supposed to happen, but I would have thought they would have been able to completely cool down. The first bug's status is confirmed, but that's for brand new components placed in a brand new (i.e. zero temperature) reactor instantly take 1 durability damage. For the second 'bug', I'm not sure if it was decided that the components are used, so they can't be upgraded as intended. Also, I'm thinking that 'confirmed' for the first means it's happening, but not necessarily that it's a bug? Player did respond to the second bug, but to be honest, I didn't understand what Player said, but that could well be me :o)

Personally, I'd like to go with the percentage being less of a damage/used issue and more of the measure used in the reactor i.e. it's temperature. Which means a component can cool *completely*, which would mean 100% durability.

To put in another way though, I'd really like to be able to upgrade used components :o) I know they have been used, but I don't think the components are being damaged (like a pick - but even then a pick can be repaied to 100%), but being heated and just need to cool. In addition though, the problem I have is that in order to get the better and better components, I'd have to make brand new ones, then instantly upgrade them, which means I have older ones lying around doing nothing. For example, due to the current system, all the used 10k Coolant Cells can't be upgraded to 30k and then 60k. They can't be used in machine upgrades either (the overclocker and range upgrades). So as I expand and upgrade, I just have to make them all over again and have the others doing nothing as they have been superseded.

Thoughts? :o)

• Official Post

The first bug you highlighted is right about what you're complaining about. More on that below.
    The second bug is about not being able to upgrade damaged components. How they were being damaged is the same as the first bug, but as a principle that's working right.

Basically right now, when ever a vent or coolant cell is placed in a reactor it acquires a damage bar. Even if there's no reason for it to, such as any vent other than the reactor vent on it's own. The reactor has no heat, the vent cannot receive any heat, so it shouldn't be damaged. This in itself is the bug here. They used to, and should, only get a damage bar once they receive heat and store it, and vents especially shouldn't keep them if they're not receiving heat as they are cooling off. Coolant cells are a little more awkward with heat balancing, but that's just how reactors work. They could be completely cooled still however.

I guess being able to use damaged coolant cells to upgrade them into the next tier might make sense and the damage amount added onto the new one, but for overclockers it should be new. Whether they do or not in the future is irrelevant as the real issue here is the fact they are maintaining heat illogically, and not cooling off completely. It looks like a rounding bug that they might have 1 heat in and round up to 1 rather than down to 0, but that's just an idea and it might well be something else more complicated.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• If the automatic damage was sorted out and that meant that components could be cooled 100%, that would be good with me. Apart from the upgrading issue, it would be nice to be able to quickly tell if a reactor setup is temperature neutral or better. As a detail, Component Heat Vents don't seem to have this issue.

I'm not sure though, if that bug were sorted, if there would still be a restriction on upgrading. It would still generally mean one would have earlier Tier components not being used for anything. And to the contrary, I like having the things that I've already made, be upgraded to something better, like the batteries and stuff. Maybe that's just me though, but it seems an unnecessary task to create what I already have, just to immediately upgrade it, whilst having the same item not being used for anything. We'll see what happens. Hopefully the bug will be sorted at some point.

Thanks for the response. I'm liking all the new stuff in 1.7.10

• Official Post

Apparently it was intentional all along, to force the items to have a (full) damage bar. Build #769 should add what you're wanting.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Oh sweet, looking forward to #769 coming out.

What do you mean it came out yesterday? :o)

I was thinking it would be weeks before anything happened, but that's so cool.

Okay, stuff is indeed upgradeable. I am now the proud owner of an Advanced Heat Vent made from existing components :oD 10k Coolant Cells aren't upgradeable though, but that may well have been deliberate. Although they are showing up in Craft Guide with a damage bar, which I think indicates they are upgradeable? I do have *two* types of 10k Coolant Cells though. One says "10k Coolent Cell" and the other type says "10k Coolent Cell. Cannot be used in Fluid Reactor. Please cool down in the EU Reactor." That may be me though, since I updated from Minecraft 1.6.4 to 1.7.2 to 1.7.10 . I can't create a *new* 10k Coolant Cell, as I don't know how to create just a "Coolant Cell"... okay, I really should look into this more over the weekend, as so many things are new in IC2 for 1.7.10, so really don't worry about it. It was just things as I found them out.

It's interesting that the permanent damage was deliberate, I hadn't thought of that. Plating doesn't have the instant damage thing though, but that may have been deliberate as well. Curiously, the Component Heat Vent doesn't either. That stays at 100%. But they're all legacy components made in a previous version of Minecraft, so I don't know if that makes a difference. Hmmm, I don't know, I think I'd still prefer to have components indicate they are totally cool, as that way I know that they are taking in *zero* heat and I immediately know the reactor is going to be totally fine. With an instant, permanent damage bar, I don't know if some components are actually taking in *more* heat. I have to wait until it removes another couple of pixels, as the reactor temp can stay at zero if no heat is going to the core. It's really not important though. The upgrading components things was the main thing.

I'll keep playing around. Appreciate the fix though and the responses. Although, in testing components, I did almost create a meltdown, but that was my fault really :o)

It did occur to me that maybe I should really use the bug tracker for all this (I don't have a Mantis account), but it was more to find out what people thought about such things.

• Plating doesn't have the instant damage thing though, but that may have been deliberate as well. Curiously, the Component Heat Vent doesn't either.

Platings and component heat vents neither degrade nor accept heat from other components, so there's no point in them having damage bars.

• Ahhhh... the whole "Cannot be used in Fluid Reactor. Please cool down in the EU Reactor." only appears when a component is below the 9,999 level. So... all the components are of the same type. Okay, that's one thing I get :o)

I should edit my previous post, as I also found out about creating Coolant Cells using Distilled Water.

Platings and component heat vents neither degrade nor accept heat from other components, so there's no point in them having damage bars.

I'm not sure I can completely get my head around that at the moment :o) Don't Component Heat Vent take 4 heat from any side that can give heat and then vent it, to a maximum of 16? So, wouldn't they still need to take heat like other heat vents in order to vent it or does it not work that way? Although, I have noticed that the one Component Heat Vent I have has never shown any degradation at all. Curious.

• I'm not sure I can completely get my head around that at the moment :o) Don't Component Heat Vent take 4 heat from any side that can give heat and then vent it, to a maximum of 16? So, wouldn't they still need to take heat like other heat vents in order to vent it or does it not work that way? Although, I have noticed that the one Component Heat Vent I have has never shown any degradation at all. Curious.

The Component Heat Vent works differently. It cools adjacent components (by 4 each) without storing the heat in itself. Components that can give heat but not store it (e.g. fuel rods) do not affect adjacent Component Heat Vents.

• The Component Heat Vent works differently. It cools adjacent components (by 4 each) without storing the heat in itself. Components that can give heat but not store it (e.g. fuel rods) do not affect adjacent Component Heat Vents.

Aha, okay, I didn't know that. That might change their usefulness, for me at least. I'd only ever made one. Thanks for that.