"Perfect Breeder", 3 added chambers

• Haven't found a breeder design in the forum yet, so I can't compare... here's my thoughts:
    Efficiency 1, oh well, not supposed to create EU anyways.
    If I bathe the whole reactor in lava, I get 30 surplus heat per tick. If I have it run a full cycle like that, the uranium cells will be gone before the depleted isotope cells will be charged. Seems rather unefficient to me, so I guess you really have to dump a lot of buckets into the whole thing. To heat it to 9k, you need to add 35 * 9000 = 315.000 heat (each component needs to be at 9000 heat as well as the hull) which totals in 157 lava buckets ... Sounds impractical to me.

But then again, what do I know about nuclear engineering - it's like rocket surgery!

• Yeah, the no.1 pain in the ass about breeders is that pretty much every design needs a long warmup or lots of lava. I've been working on one that maintains temperature whether it's running or not, but it chews cooling cells ... On the bright side it's really cheap n' easy to set up!

Edit @ Alzeid: That uran with a single isotope is quite pointless, making it refine less per fuel cell...

• Its true, removing that other fuel cell would increase the efficiency but would mean more reactors, so its up in the air as to which is cheaper overall. Keep in mind the challenge is to create a perfect breeder that maximizes the number of cells that can be recharged, not a perfectly efficient breeder.

• http://test.vendaria.net/index…HCCHCCCCHCCHCXXXXXXXXXXXX

You might try this one. It takes a bit of micro-management with rods to get up to 9000 heat, but once it gets there it stays there. In the simulation I got to 6000 heat in about 2500 ticks and 9000 at around 4000 ticks. In fact, it finished the 4 rods at 6500 ticks and i got 4 more three quarters of the way before the end of the cycle.

Also, i just ran a second cycle and got 10 additional rods finished with the two more of them 90% done.

Try it out and improve it!

• But, when does the bad stuff start happening?
    The sim does not tell when fire erupts and lava spawns...
    And where do you place the Uran cells?

Edit: 2 of the coolant cells melt after a short while.

AFAIK with 4 chambers it won't spawn lava until ... 12k heat?

Edit: And uran cells goes in the middle?

• I *think* it goes like this:

Just the reactor has 10k heat capacity
    Each chamber adds 1k
    Each reactor plating add 100

At 50% heat it boils water, at 85% it melts stuff and might blow, and at 100% it goes boom instantly :huh:

Edit: 2 of the coolant cells melt after a short while.

http://test.vendaria.net/index…HCCHCCCCHCCHCXXXXXXXXXXXX

Fixed the missing Uranium. And the cells shouldn't be melting, the entire layout should be heat neutral. I jump started it like so...

http://test.vendaria.net/index…HCCHCCCCHCCHCXXXXXXXXXXXX

...and removed Uranium rods when the coolant got too hot, so no melting. Like i said, a bit of managing at the start but it'll get to 9000 fast and stay there. At least until the cells are done cooking.

And if Dezuman is right, which i think he is, with the 4 chambers, you'd need to get to about 12k heat for anything to go really bad.

• But as stated, traditional breeders like this takes long time/lots of lava to warm up and will start cooling off once the uran cell burns out. A bit meh imo :S

• I designed a 9k breeder that only needed ~8 lava buckets AFAIR to heat up and was a perfect breeder
    however It needed some special components added by the Extranuclearitems addon

• It will build slowly build up heat. That's an issuer since a one-chamber with no platings will melt stuff at 9350 heat...

• Well I've never melted anything. I pick up one of the isotopes for a bit if it starts getting too hot. Anyway, it's a breeder. I haven't seen one that doesn't require plenty of lava and excessive micro. Point is, this one takes less lava yet still enriches 3 cells, and is pretty darn stable temperature wise.

• Still, It's bad if there's even a small risk of it blowing if you forget about it. The thing about pulling isos out requires you to be there, hence = more babysitting.

• when do you remove the uranium? also do you keep the center one there?