[Suggestion] Solar Power (Panels and Generators)

• IC-SP 917 Solar generator
    =
    In recent developments the research teams have managed to develop a new modular based solar based power generation system. It saves resources by allowing the creation and deployment of "panels" (half block solar panels) that feed power into a central "generation" unit that stores said power. What this allows is more expansive and cheaper solar generator flowers by only requiring a single generator to be fed from a field of panels. Note: Power cannot be moved from the panels except through other panels or through the core generator, and it will not enter cables from any point save for the generator module itself.
    =

For the purpose of this demonstration forget the current solar panel object ingame.

Solar generator - generates no power, but takes power from all connected solar panels, exports power vertically.
    - Cable -
    Cable Electronic Circuit Cable
    Refined Iron Generator Refined Iron

Solar panel - A half block device that generates 1 E/S during daylight, and outputs that power horizontally into other solar panels or the solar generator, cables connected to these WILL NOT TAKE POWER! Power must first be transfered into the central Solar Generato-r! Each Panel the power travels through will lessen the flow by .2 E/S.
    Coal Dust G Coal Dust
    G Coal Dust G
    Cable Refined Iron Cable

Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel MFE-Transmitter Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel
    [0][.2][.4][.6][.8][1]X[1][.8][.6][.4][.2][.0]

Solar Panel = Solar panel
    MFE-Transmitter = Solar generator
    # = E/S generated

Power would pass from the ends of the wings horizontally to the solar generator core where it would be stored, once there it can be routed through cables.

Each Solar Pane-l generates 1 E/S and loses .2 E/S per panel traveled through to reach the core, meaning past an 7x7 with a central solar generator you will not gain any power! If power has to travel through panels more than 5 away it will lose it in transit!

This would allow us to construct very elaborate solar arrays that would look very sexy and be more accurate to real world solar arrays, instead of having to craft 300,000 solar generators, we'd create a single generator and an array of panels. (Panels would also be created using 3 wires at the bottom row instead of a generator and 2 wire) Could also implement a specific "solar voltage" wire that's used to move solar power between panels vertically or horizontally for weirdly shaped arrays.

Example of how power flows:
    http://forum.industrial-craft.…12a8768e6e930edcbd8f083de

(Real solar arrays are sexy! And half block solar panels sexier!)

• I like this idea, except that the recipe for the central solar panel suggests that it would generate power, unless you are supposed to put a panel on top. (in which case I do not like the recipe) Also, the solar panel directly on top of the generator ought not to deduct power imo.

• I like this idea, except that the recipe for the central solar panel suggests that it would generate power, unless you are supposed to put a panel on top. (in which case I do not like the recipe) Also, the solar panel directly on top of the generator ought not to deduct power imo.

The base core doesn't generate power, so yea I should probably change the recipe (any suggestions for this recipe appreciated). Edit: Changed it to 2 cells, 2 iron, 2 cable, 2 glass, and a generator.

I am unsure whether to allow panels to move power vertically, I kinda like the idea of a field of solar panels with a central "hub" shown in the middle, looks nicer. But if enough people agree with the idea of placing a panel right on top of the hub I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to have one (with no power loss)

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• The base core doesn't generate power, so yea I should probably change the recipe (any suggestions for this recipe appreciated). Edit: Changed it to 2 cells, 2 iron, 2 cable, 2 glass, and a generator.

I am unsure whether to allow panels to move power vertically, I kinda like the idea of a field of solar panels with a central "hub" shown in the middle, looks nicer. But if enough people agree with the idea of placing a panel right on top of the hub I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to have one (with no power loss)

I understand now how the setup was intended. I was thinking more like this. (note that this is side on)

Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel Solar Panel
    :?::?::?: MFE-Transmitter :?::?::?:

The panels being half blocks, and the all being elevated above the hub.

Also, for a recipe, I think that something more like this would work.

:?: Cable
    Cable Electronic Circuit Cable
    Refined Iron Generator Refined Iron

• Ok after seeing your idea, definitely vertical power allowed, I like that layout.

And that recipe works as well.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• I like this suggestion despite also liking the advanced solar panel mod this would make much more sense as it never made sense to me that a single solar panel required a generator to craft

• I like this suggestion despite also liking the advanced solar panel mod this would make much more sense as it never made sense to me that a single solar panel required a generator to craft

I wasn't aware there was a mod enhancing them.

And yea I'm in the same boat, I never liked how i had to build a separate generator, I'd rather feed it all into a single generator. I tend to build mine mostly underground just so I can see the panels themselves.

• maybe different tiers of solar panels? like i know theres already an advanced solar panel addon but if this idea went forward it would be nice to be able to generate nice amounts green goodness energy without having to make fields of solar panels

• maybe different tiers of solar panels? like i know theres already an advanced solar panel addon but if this idea went forward it would be nice to be able to generate nice amounts green goodness energy without having to make fields of solar panels

Higher tier ones would be nice, since the loss would be the same over the distance you could build flowers out of them (or a mix of types) and lose less power.

• To be a bit more specific on the higher tier solar panels, I l did some research on solar panels and apparently actual solar panels have advanced electronics embedded into them so for T2 solar panels it would require electronic circuits and advanced alloys /carbon plates and would run at 5 eu/s but T3 would be advanced electronic circuits and maybe an iridium plate (or advanced alloy/carbon plate) but the high cost would mean something like 20 eu/s. (too overpowered?)

• This is a great idea. Using 1/4-block thick solar panels would be marvelous. That alone would be a nice improvement to the existing system. Having them not able to output power except to another panel or to the solar generator would be great since it would eliminate the need for cables.

Would your power drain per block idea cause too much CPU/server strain? After all, it has to calculate a number for every connection between two panels. It seems like it would be the same as if all the panels were cables and you had all those intersections. If it turns out to not be a problem then that's fine, but if it is, then maybe something like this would work as an alternative: Instead of losing energy for every block of distance, you could make each panel produce only a fraction of 1 EU. Since it rounds down, you would have to have enough panels to reach a whole number before it would do anything. Then set a maximum number of panels per generator.

So, if I use 0.25 EU per panel as an example, then you'd need at least four panels before the generator would do anything. If we place a maximum of 20 panels per generator, then our generator would cap out at exactly 5 EU of output. It would more or less accomplish the same thing while requiring only one CPU/server calculation per tick: 0.25 * X (where X is the number of panels).

• This is a great idea. Using 1/4-block thick solar panels would be marvelous. That alone would be a nice improvement to the existing system. Having them not able to output power except to another panel or to the solar generator would be great since it would eliminate the need for cables.

Would your power drain per block idea cause too much CPU/server strain? After all, it has to calculate a number for every connection between two panels. It seems like it would be the same as if all the panels were cables and you had all those intersections. If it turns out to not be a problem then that's fine, but if it is, then maybe something like this would work as an alternative: Instead of losing energy for every block of distance, you could make each panel produce only a fraction of 1 EU. Since it rounds down, you would have to have enough panels to reach a whole number before it would do anything. Then set a maximum number of panels per generator.

So, if I use 0.25 EU per panel as an example, then you'd need at least four panels before the generator would do anything. If we place a maximum of 20 panels per generator, then our generator would cap out at exactly 5 EU of output. It would more or less accomplish the same thing while requiring only one CPU/server calculation per tick: 0.25 * X (where X is the number of panels).

I like you.

If the CPU usage is a problem yes, I like that system and we could do it. I'd like to see a few more than 20 panels per generator but the point is still taken =)

• Why don't we have solar panels, instead of losing power every block, just have a maximum range? Cables already work by losing EU only after a set range, and it would be downright pointless to make them lose power so fast. I would rather keep my current solar bank, as it would render it complete trash, because it would drop the production to basically nil. I LOVE the idea, but I just don't want to lose efficiency every panel.

The best part about IC is being able to force the server admin to buy power from your capitalist nuclear enterprise

• Why don't we have solar panels, instead of losing power every block, just have a maximum range? Cables already work by losing EU only after a set range, and it would be downright pointless to make them lose power so fast. I would rather keep my current solar bank, as it would render it complete trash, because it would drop the production to basically nil. I LOVE the idea, but I just don't want to lose efficiency every panel.

I was under the impression cables lost EU immediately per cable, not at any given range.

• IC is already to easy why make it more easy... Ugh IC is going break SMP if it keeps dumbing things down haha.

This isn't really an easier suggestion moreso a cooler one, I meant moreso to make epic solar panel flowers that take up large amounts of room, more modular and assemble-able, as opposed to the current one block versions.