Semi-required mods for use alongside GregTech?

• Afaik, the only mod GT officially requires is IC2, but I expect that for some GregTech players, there are additional mods you'd hesitate to play it without (and would look for a different modpack/server if they were missing). Could some of you please share what mods you feel that way about?

• Official Post

I presume that's including NEI as well?

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• For GT5exp I usually add these in:

AE2 - base mod, I haven't messed with extra cells yet.
    IHL - only for treesap, I turn everything else off. Not sure if there's a better way to deal with resin.
    JourneyMap
    GraviSuite
    NEI
    RailCraft - coal coke, tanks, trains
    Waila

I used to include buildcraft but after the improvements BloodAsp has made to oil and other things, I couldn't find a reason to. I haven't done much with fission or higher, but IC2 nuclear control looks useful. I'd also like to try something like OpenComputers to make more sophisticated train stuff. I'm interested to hear what other mods people think work well with GT.

• you get shitloads of resin from sticky reed, there is no reason to include IHL when you have GT5 (I would include it for playing with GT6)

Extracells is very useful, easy transport and storage for all the fluids GT has (oxygen, nitrogen, oil, glue, plasma)

• Thaumcraft if you're a bit into magic?

I've got Thaumcraft installed in my current world, along with some cross-functionality mods for it (Electro-Magic Tools, Magic Bees, and Thaumic Energistics), and I've even got an automated alchemy setup and an arcane infusion altar, but I haven't found anything in the Thaumonomicon yet that I'm really interested in making with them (I found some Nitor in a chest somewhere, so I didn't even use alchemy for that).

Edit: I got to where I could craft a silverwood wand, and now I can perform the "Node in a Jar" ritual. I've started some node bullying to build a supernode, so now I'm starting to like Thaumcraft.

• It's bearable to stick to quantum suit and go without any fantastic equipment.
    It's bearable to use plain chests for item storage. Gregtech items don't take much space after all.
    It's bearable to use Gregtech pipes for transportation, given their capabilities to use covers.

But you told me that I have NO ways of autocrafting, and I should stack those crappy pipes for fluid storage, and I should spend years on grinding wither skeletons to craft some field generators?

• AE2 - base mod, I haven't messed with extra cells yet.

I'm starting to wonder about this one - I'll admit having a single terminal for accessing items is nice, as opposed to a bunch of chests, but unlike hoppers and chests, the power requirements keep going up as I add more to the network, and GT delays getting started because of the EBF requirement for making silicon.

JourneyMap
    NEI
    Waila

These are definitely handy.

GraviSuite

I guess this one makes sense for players who play outside of peaceful difficulty.

RailCraft - coal coke, tanks, trains

Coal coke and tanks are good. I'm a bit less certain about the trains.

I used to include buildcraft but after the improvements BloodAsp has made to oil and other things, I couldn't find a reason to.

Here's a big reason: pumping water. With default settings, a Buildcraft pump can be powered by a redstone engine (which doesn't need any charcoal, coal, oil, fuel, etc. to power it), making it an excellent early-game way to get water as part of making steam or biogas. You can disable the oil and water springs if you prefer. Edit: this was before I'd noticed Railcraft's Water Tank, which is a good alternate. There's still the Filler for populating a charcoal pile with logs, but that's a much weaker reason for including the mod.

I got to where I could craft a silverwood wand, and now I can perform the "Node in a Jar" ritual. I've started some node bullying to build a supernode, so now I'm starting to like Thaumcraft.

Node bullying wasn't as effective as I'd hoped, and even if it had been, I'm not sure what there is to do after that.