[Suggestion] Self-contained Mining "Outpost"

• The idea is:

A miner combined with a personal chest, a generator, and a batbox. And then always equiped with a diamond drill, and an OV scanner, AND a stack of diamond mining pipe. In one block.

The purpose:
    Have you ever mined out the chunks around your house, and needed to take a trip to farther lands to find fresh mineral fields? You pack your bag; some miners, some generators, some batboxes/MFEs, some chests, some pipes, some fuel, some scanners, and some diamond drills. You scan the ground and finally find a decent point to mine, you place down your miner on the spot, you connect the batbox, the generator and the chest, fuel up the generator, add the pipes. Then you go off to setup another station.

When you come back, you have to clean up the sprawl of blocks you had to set down, risking destruction of each as you break them down. So what this "Mining Outpost" does is combine all of these items, with the addition of the two upgrades to the miner (since miners now require a drill and a scanner anyway), as well as the required pipes into one handy station. IT IS a bit costly though.

OD Scanner Generator Advanced Circuit
    Personal Safe Batbox Advanced Machine
    Mining Pipe Miner Diamond Drill

OD Scanner = OV scanner
    Mining Pipe = 64 diamond pipes in a stack, but as a single item (like how coins may be stacked). This would have to be a new transition item, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make.

The internal workings of the device would be:
    Top slot: would be a generator slot, add fuel to power the device.
    Inventory slot: where all the mined ore would go.

The device would not require additional piping, nor a drill or scanner, since all of these had been added to it already.

(Note: the mining pipe this device lays would have to be not drop anything when harvested, to prevent abuse of pipe cloning)

• Sorry, can't understand the purpose.
    Current miner is awesome because you can customize it any way you want. Nothing is wrong with carrying all stuff you want to fit in it.

Sorry, can't understand the purpose.

...I see...
    To say you don't see its purpose is the same as saying you don't get why IC^2 adds 3 new furnaces.. The point of IC is to continually increase the technology you have. This is the next tier for the miner. It contains the best of the best things you can put in it, as well as everything you need. In one block.

• I think you're forgetting something - better technology means more complex technology.

Miner gets its share of upgrades with diamond pipes, diamond drill (why can't you use laser?) and OV scanner. But even then it's not a limit. You can attach a pump, fill it with empty cells and pump will extract the liquid (lava) miner encountered on its way letting miner dig through the liquid. This setup requires power and storage area, so you add some chests, energy storage device, power source... If you want to charge this setup once, you can bring in a MFSU and insert a couple of transformers in the middle.
    If you can't afford 64 pipes, you can start digging with only 10. If you want to get every single resource from that mountain - you can add another stack of mining pipes. And so on.
    This is customization.

What I see in your miner upgrade is the suggestion to take all that customization away. Prove me wrong.

• ... I don't have to prove you wrong because you apparently don't understand the role this item is supposed to fill. So allow me to enlighten you:

In response to "better technology means more complex technology."
    First of all, this is not true all the time. Remember, you have to look at this from a couple of different views (the actual interal workings, and the end-user's experience, to name two).
    If we're talking internal workings of a machine, then sure. A punchcard computer is LESS complex than, say, a laptop of today. HOWEVER a laptop is better technology, and is less complex to the end user than using a punchcard computer.
    Better technology can be defined in numerous ways. I'm defining it in this case to be: a more efficient use of space, a quicker setup time, and a simpler setup. The "Mining Outpost" I suggest is the next tier, of the miner tree of tech at the current time. It combines the best of the miner customization. This would imply that there is NO better setup you can put together than the one this already has, in ONE BLOCK.

You're assuming this is an item one would be built as soon as someone had the resources to build a miner. (If you can only create 10 pipes, you shouldn't be building miners anyway. You should be investing your resources on something that gives you more immediate utility.) On the contrary, this device would only be worth building after have a large amount of resources (that is, iron, pipes, wires, ect). It is for those of us that have achieved a level of resource where we wish to make our lives more efficient. It is meant to make mining more convenient than a standard miner. To give an example: the induction furnace is a more convenient version of the elctro furnace. It is not necissary, but it makes smelting faster, and takes up less space.

In response to " lack of customization":
    When you wish to create this "Mining Outpost" it is at a point when you'll exclusivly wanting to be using the most effective items within the Miner, that is the diamond drill, and the OV scanner, along with Diamond pipes. As i said above: the best of the tech you can use in a miner. Why would I want to customize to a lesser set of materials when the one I've chosen is best? This only makes sense as you get to this point of resource and technology. To give example: You would not create an field generator when you only have 2 solar panels, when those materials would be much more efficently used on a macerator; it is not an effective use of resource. A field generator is a luxary. Much like this, the "Mining outpost" is a luxary item; I no longer have to worry about bringing several different stacks of things. All I need is a Mining Outpost, and some fuel for its generator. That's it. That's all.

SO to close: I think you misunderstand the purpose of this item. It is meant as the next step of miners. It has the maximum tech that customization can provide, and combines it into one efficient unit.

(Note, the implication of this device is that it would function like a regular miner, and be able to have a pump addon. It also implies that it could dig deeper than the 64 pipes that were use to make it. Since you lose the utility of being able to move the pipes, you gain the ability to dig as far as the bedrock will allow)

• nice idea! I really like the idea of a single block instead of all that fussy setup stuff.
    however, I would vote for removing the 64x pipes item and new unmineable pipe blocks. (more block IDs and items are unnecessary)
    and rather having two pipe slots (or one) in which you could place pipes like normal.
    in the spare space put a geothermal generator and give the gui (yes it is already pretty complicated but follow me here) an additional energy slot for lavabuckets/cells
    Also: the speed of the mining outpost should be determined by how much energy the generators would produce compared to the energy use of a normal miner with a diamond drill (about 24?) however, the generators now being integrated would produce double their normal output (10 EU/t for the generator and 20 EU/t for the geothermal for a maximum output of 30EU/t and 1.25x mining speed) additional speed might be attained by cabling in extra power up to medium voltage (its an advanced machine now right?)

And FYI Diamond pipes have been removed in favor of using a diamond drill

• Right! I had forgotten about the pipes.

OK. SO. The reason I said a regular generator, and not a geothermal (which I am partial to using when I use miners) is because it is expectd by this time that you're making Fuel, Bio Fuel, or Superfuel fairly regularly. But I DO like the idea of this taking in medium and high voltages to increase its speed, however, this would mean adding a generator/wires to give it that, which is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. All this is supposed to be is a single, self-contained miner; just add fuel. Make sense?
    (I really do like the idea of adding the MV and HV, perhaps this could be a secondary method of powering it? Setup a field of these being powered by a nuclear generator. Yea. THAT.)

As for the pipes: I'm easy as to them. I'd PREFER that the miner had them internally. But I also understand that this would add another separate item (could we not make the stack of 64 (acting as a single piece) the indestructible/unminable piping from the miner, thus cutting down on the sprite count?

• Yes I understand about how the whole point was to simply place and add fuel to mine stuff
    But as an upgraded vaersion it would have the possibility to additionally be powerd to make it mine faster
    (yeah you got the point) I amm for this!

• Once they fix the field generator my remote mining setup will be geo gen - miner - chest - fieldgenerator and maybe a solar flower for backup. That way the force field will protect the miner. and all the equipment.

• This is an amazing idea! I hate moving the miner, and as I don't like to carry sh**tons of items around for one mining trip, I would love to have a self-contained one. I think the recipe should have not a batbox, but an MFE or MFSU, and you should be also able to power it with energy/lapotron crystals.

The best part about IC is being able to force the server admin to buy power from your capitalist nuclear enterprise

• Hmm, interesting. An all in one, bundled into one block.
    However, it would need to be a fairly expensive recipe, costing more than all the individual components summed. (IE Advanced Circuits, another advanced machine part, etc.) Personally I would love the idea, as setting up the miner at a different location is a pain due to all the different components.

At the same time though, is that even possible code wise? I admit I am no coder, but such a device would require both a GUI for the chest, one energy levels, and a slot for the generator-all in one block! That is a lot of stuff to fit on to one block, and I question just how viable it is codewise.

• I had this whole worked out idea of how to have tiers of this, then when I submitted My internet had spazzed out and I lost it. So Here is the summary. I had 3 levels of the A.I.O. (All-In-One) miner: 1-basic gen and basic drill, 2-Geo and diamond drill and 3-Nuclear and Mining Laser. In a design following the original formula but using the basic stuff, then using a GEN-(previous)Miner-Mining device pattern.

• I am actually in FULL SUPPORT of the nuclear bit, but I would like to modify the tier system. I think it could really be reduced to 2 tiers, one for diamond drill and one for mining laser. We could leave the miner as the sort of "zero tier". For the tier 1 generation, we could maybe have a combination of water and geo, maybe also with normal generator capabilities. I am thinking that the tier 1 all-in-one miner should accept a whole shitload of things to turn into power relatively efficiently, and the tier 2, made of the finest parts and mining tools (a mining laser), should use a high quality compact nuclear system. It doesn't have to be the most efficient, but it WOULD be nice to have a way to use uranium without having to create a reactor. It really does build up, and if we could even choose to use fuel cells or just plane uranium ore (for terrible efficiency), then it could be a great way to make a quick mining outpost. Of course, it should cost a nuclear reactor (or more likely a chamber) to make, but it would be well worth it.

P.S. What about a higher tier of scanner, too? With all the tech, it would be nice to mine out over even LARGER areas xD

TL;DR - 3 tiers? make it 2, and use a standard/water/geo generator for the lower tier, and nuclear for the higher. Better scanner would be nice too.

The best part about IC is being able to force the server admin to buy power from your capitalist nuclear enterprise

• since it's open for new ideas here mine
    instead of a block that does everything make a "kit" than unpacks itself of rightclick to a separate chest+miner+powersource
    and then this kit can be tiered not a single block. makes more sense to me than this uberblock idea

also would be neat if it deployed a small tent (made of wool maybe) covering the whole thing

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy