Breeding over 9000?

• No pun intended

The question is: What happens if you run a breeding reactor at temperatures over the "standard" 9000, or rather over 9999 where components melt? Al's information post claims that every 3k heat DOUBLES the breeding speed, but is it really a doubling (x * 2^(heat/3000)) or just something meh like (x * (1+heat/3000))
    And does it even increase speed past 9000?
    IF it truly doubles speed every 3k, then a breeder running at 12k heat would breed twice as fast as "normal" breeders, which would be quite neat.

I've been working on a design relying on single-use cooling cells, supplied by BC pipes (AFAIK they only serve top row currently?). Since it uses no HDs it can go over 10k heat.
    http://test.vendaria.net/index.php?reactor=6CIPPPPPUIPPPCIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPXPPPPXU
    I've forgotten how reactor heat capacity was calculated, so will that work at 12k or make lava?

• No sorry the doubling bonus caps at 9000 heat
    yes I too had dreams and designs for 15000 heat breeders with higher than 8x efficiency but it is just not in the code :(

• Yep, the code stops at 9000 and for good reasons too. Heat dispensers spread out heat evenly by value not by percentage of capasity used.. so even though you can safely push a reactor's max hull heat capasity up past 10000, the components inside are stuck at 10000 heat capasity. If you hold a reactor's hull heat levels higher than 10000 for too long, the IHDs will melt their adjecent components and then themselves.

• @ Albalaka :
    could you change this please (or maybe you have)
    percentage is much smarter

• Nah, I like the way it's running now.
    Actually, I'd make it 3300, 6600 and 9900 just to make breeding harder and more dangerous.

Possible 12k breakpoint - why not?
    There should be a way to cool this kind of reactor down.

• Yep, the code stops at 9000 and for good reasons too. Heat dispensers spread out heat evenly by value not by percentage of capasity used.. so even though you can safely push a reactor's max hull heat capasity up past 10000, the components inside are stuck at 10000 heat capasity. If you hold a reactor's hull heat levels higher than 10000 for too long, the IHDs will melt their adjecent components and then themselves.

If you look at my reactor, it's not using HDs. Just because it's hard to make a good over-9000-breeder doesn't mean it shouldn't be rewarded, rather the other way around ... no? ;)

Edit: Lol, I actually stated clearly in the topic I wasn't using HDs to get around component meltage ... TL;DR much Talon? :P

Edit2: Yeah, the breeding speed shouldn't rely on distinct values, but something like the formula x * 2^(heat/3000). >9k breeders will pretty much HAVE to use SUC, making them VASTLY more a pain-in-the-ass that meh 9k breeders. They should be rewarded appropriately IMO

• Edit: Lol, I actually stated clearly in the topic I wasn't using HDs to get around component meltage ... TL;DR much Talon? :P

Blame the centered text, I find it a pain in the ass to read most of the time :P

Edit: Also, those reactor links don't render correctly in my browser (IE9) so I tend not to click them.

• You use IE?

<---

'nuff said

Edit: I mean, it's just silly that Microsoft just HAVE to diss the accepted standard of browsers, hence why most stuff designed for IE looks weird in other browsers and vice verca

• it seems to me that 1.15 broke this design of breeder, since Integrated Reactor Plating provides 0.1 heat worth of coolng, so it's not "perfect" anymore.

Reactors weren't touched since the initial release+bugfix.