[Addon for IC2 v1.15] Charcoal Dust

• This little addon allow charcoal dust as a limited substitute for coal dust.

Installation - Client: Just drop CharcoalDust.zip into the .minecraft/mods folder.
    Installation - Server: Just drop CharcoalDustSMP.zip into the server's mods folder.

To get charcoal dust you place charcoal into a Compressor. (I'd of prefered to use the Macerator but it is specifiaclly coded to reject charcoal and I didn't want to edit IC's class files)

After that, charcoal dust can be refined the same way coal dust can.

Charcoal Dust is an equal subtitute for Coal Dust in:
    - Solar Collectors
    - Coal fuel cells

Charcoal Dust is a lesser subtitute for Coal Dust in:
    - SU Battries
    - [Error: Clasified Recipe]

Charcoal Dust is not a subtitute for Coal Dust in:
    - Depleted uranium recharging
    - Carbon fibres
    - Coalballs

Bugs: Due to the workaround, Compressors turn coal into charcoal dust. I'm hoping that if this addon gets approved then the devs would be kind enough to work their magic on the Macerator to allow me to code the addon to work how I originally planned it. ;)

Note: The source file is also included in the zip.

• This little addon allow charcoal dust as a limited substitute for coal dust.

Bugs: Due to the workaround, Compressors turn coal into charcoal dust. I'm hoping that if this addon gets approved then the devs would be kind enough to work their magic on the Macerator to allow me to code the addon to work how I originally planned it. ;)

Never gonna happen. There's a reason why it was coded like that. Specifically to STOP someone from creating an addon like this. Because its irridiculously overpowered.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• Except this isn't OP due to lmited uses. (Although maybe solar panel should need charcoal clump or something, feels slightly OP...)

• But... Minefactory Reloaded+this=FREE ENERGY.
    Almost.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

• It already does :\ Burn the wood.

That just made me realize... This makes you able to get waaaay more energy per charcoal.

• Except this isn't OP due to lmited uses. (Although maybe solar panel should need charcoal clump or something, feels slightly OP...)

I wasn't quite sure about the solar panels, I've not got an idea on how to make it more expensive at the moment.

That just made me realize... This makes you able to get waaaay more energy per charcoal.

I crunched the numbers and processing charcoal into normal fuel cans will get you 33% more EU at the cost of using a finite resource (1.5 tin bars per fuel can filled), I'd say that was a fair trade off as it's no longer 'Free enegry', it's 'Cheap energy'.

• Official Post

It's epic, hope Alblaka adds it to official release!

Charcoal Maceration was something disabled INTENTIONALLY due to the fact coal does "now" have a real use due to it being the only source of coal dust.
    Previously coal was useless, because you could plainly grow it on mass tree farms.

Will for sure not be "added" to the official release.

• Why so complicated?

Just put wood into the compressor/singularity compressor --> coal ....?

profit!

• Wait, whaaa?
    You can compress logs into coal? I think thats a secret... If it even exists.

• Nothing to worry it does not work, but in that way it would make more sense.
    Cause wood transform into coal under high pressure over years (of course its not that easy).

But this nice addon for this AWSOME mod is already stopped, cause of balancing probs.

But maybe:

Wood burn with wood to get charcoal
    or :Electric Furnace: ((very) long cycle) = big energy amount needet

• Delete post above, pls

Nothing to worry it does not work, but in that way it would make more sense.
    Cause wood transform into coal under high pressure over years (of course its not that easy).

But this nice addon for this AWSOME mod is already stopped, cause of balancing probs.

But maybe:

Wood burn with wood or :Electric Furnace: ((very) long cycle) = big energy amount needed to get charcoal.
    After this put charcoal into the Compresser, after a long cycle and much energy you get coal.

Just an idea. And yes i dont have any idea what is possible and impossible to change in minecraft.

• Im kinda lost on the concept of something being OP in a game that poses no challange what so ever. Holes are also OP cause you can dig 3 down, bury yourself, and essentially win the game (please don't ban holes). I can understand how one might think that this speeds up your progress, but progress towards what? There is no end game, no big boss, no final fight. Just endlessly building monuments to boredom. I welcome this idea cause it would keep the pace of combat more steady for my server. Unlimited energy? Maybe until someone blows your precious factory to hell. Also, I didnt address this to the programmers, cause they have better things to do then make stuff to satisfy every niche preference. Now that we have the ability to make addons though, we should take more upon ourselves. If the code doesnt allow for charcoal to be macerated just implement a work around (different machine, etc). Theres more than one way to skin a cat...

• Official Post

You're toooootally right.
    Sucks, lets add the ability to macerate charcoal again.
    And while we're at it, apparently people have trouble getting the necessary energy... let's make wiring easier and 10000x the Solar Panel output.
    Though, on a second thought that doesn't make sense for an no-end game, lets scrap the whole energy thingy and let all machines run for free :O
    Wait, that's still stupid, machine operations take time. How about we just change everything into free crafting recipes :D
    OR even better, we could code something to permit people to get the blocks for free unlimitedly.

Whoops wait, that's called Creative Mode :3

*/obvious sarcasm*
    Not to be taken as an offense, but if you want somethign easy to toy with, don't use IC².

• I completely agree with your sarcasm though. If theres no point to a game, why place restrictions on it? I'm sure people have their own purposes for not using TMI or creative mode. I'm not bashing those reasons. If you want to toil so you can stand back and say "i made this without cheating" more power to you, congrats. However, the main reason I wanted a PVP server is to give all that stuff a purpose. Your building factories and placing wires and generating electricity to drive a war machine. Your purpose = eliminate the opposition, who is now in direct competition for you over land and resources. Thus, building up your tech and getting a strong economy now has a clear purpose, and cheating would give you an unfair advantage or completely eliminate the economy aspect of war, making things no fun.

Minecraft is a sandbox in more than one way.

EDIT: I also wanted to clarify that I understand the rationale behind the way things work now. In the context of a "survival" game, it all is probably well balanced. Furthermore, at no point did I suggest or would I ever suggest that the core game be changed. I merely suggested that an add-on like this would be not only useful (notably in PVP where things have to be rebalanced for combat) but possible. TBH, if I wanted to just toy with the game I dont need an add-on, I could use TMI or whatever. The very reason that I would like this addon is because I want the whole experience to be more serious, and I want my players to be able to afford to have a war 80% of the time rather than 2%. I totally understand this would fuck up survival, but if its PVP, tha nature of challange changes completely. Its honestly really cool, and like a different game. I urge you to check it out, and would be more than happy to see you on the server.

• Alblaka is right. Growing coal sucks, players will just create farm trees, change them into charcoal, and later use it as fuel. The point is to balance coal using, at start i used it to generate power, now i macerate it and make solar panels from it, now i get around 62E/T from just solar panels, so my machinery don't need fuel ( but if i turn on my óber diamond drill 9x9 area miner x3 energy depletes quickly, and i need to turn my reactor on. )