Life sized nuclear reactors?

• Is there any possibility of this happening in a future version?

What I have in mind is: having to build a reactor core with actual blocks, rather than putting cells into the current chambers, having to cool it down with coolant (water? processed water? Finally a good use for pumps!), and, finally, harvesting the heat (steam?) via thermal generators (turbines?).

I think it would be fun, but I have no idea if these kinds of mechanics are even possible in minecraft currently.

• Sure it would be cool, but would it really be worth it? I mean, it would probably take a LOT of time to code :S

Let Al finish the orbital death ray and mass teleporter first :D

• Yeah, I'm in no hurry, I just want to know if this is even possible currently. I have no idea how liquids+temperatures are handled, and I don't think pressure exists at all, both of which would be pretty essential for this kind of thing.

• You need nuclear power 101. First things first, nuclear power is generated when two uranium atoms collide. This creates tremendous heat and tremendous pressure turning a turbine somewhere (how the heck should I know where? It's like rocket science) the turbine turns mechanical energy is turned into electric energy (shady on this part too). The electric energy can then be stored in battery silos or go straight to our homes. When the two attoms crash into eachother they have so much force they split and recombine this is called nuclear fusion or fission (not sure which but i do know there is a difference). (oddly enough its also what happens when we set of a nuclear bomb who woulda though? oh wait. everyone.) I apologize for the inconsistencies and the lack of knowledge therof. It's not like i work at one of these places heck I'm only 14!

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• Sure it would be cool, but would it really be worth it? I mean, it would probably take a LOT of time to code :S

Let Al finish the orbital death ray and mass teleporter first :D

that would take what. 15 MSFUs of energy?

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• First we'll need reusable boosters!

Neither temperature nor pressure exists, sorry :P

I think at least temperature is in. Risugami's sign mod has been able to show temp for several versions now. And in 1.9, snow sometimes freezes nearby water bodies.

To OP, I'm into it. We could tweak our reactors to squeeze out extra performance. They're already pretty complicated though; unless you read the forums you're likely to turn your house into a smoking hole in the ground.

• First things first, nuclear power is generated when two uranium atoms collide.

No. A thermal neutron collides with an atomic nucleus (for example a uranium nucleus) and splits it up into several smaller nuclei (for example into Barium and Krypton) and one or several neutrons. This is called nuclear fission. By the way, I'm 13. This isn't meant as an offense.

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• Dang, I was looking forward to nerdraging at him :D

Although it's arguable that the basic concept of nuclear fission/fusion is common knowledge...

Edit: Also funny how he called STEAM turbines "rocket science" ^^
    Edit2: Outb4 steam rocket

• Dang, I was looking forward to nerdraging at him :D

Although it's arguable that the basic concept of nuclear fission/fusion is common knowledge...

Edit: Also funny how he called STEAM turbines "rocket science" ^^
    Edit2: Outb4 steam rocket

Why do people keep referring rocket science as hard to understand topic, when it's actually quite simple.
    Some equations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation combined with aerodynamics and it gets even simpler when we get out in space ;)

• Why bother? Over 9000 complexity level and takes loads of valuable code time for arguable improvement. Realistic =/ better :S

• That is, AoE teleporter. If it also teleports block I'll totally maker a portable home. Just imagine it, put down a few teleport devices and supply a few tons of lapo crystals *ZIIING* and your house is there :D

Disclaimer: Trust IE at your own peril

• That is, AoE teleporter. If it also teleports block I'll totally maker a portable home. Just imagine it, put down a few teleport devices and supply a few tons of lapo crystals *ZIIING* and your house is there :D

This would be pretty cool actually. Also LOIC!