Suggestion: Energy for teleportation depends on the distance

• Can you change the amount of energy required for teleportation depending on the distance teleportation?

3M EU is still huge energy. It is good for teleportation on very long distance, but it is too much for short distance (eg higher floor of the house).
    I think 2K EU for 1 square distance is good. eg teleportation in home from the ground floor to first floor (4 squares) cost 8K EU, and teleportation from home to another village (200 squares) cost 400K EU. Only on very long distance (1500 squares) cost 3M EU.

• I would use another system, but the idea is ok.
    The problem is, that – as far as I know – teleportation is pretty energy-consuming in reality and most films, even over short distances.
    I think that there should be some kind of cost one always has to pay, and some distance-based energy loss.
    Maybe 80,000EU just for teleporting, and then 500EU per square? This would give 82,000EU for teleporting from one to another floor (you could just use stairs ;)), 180,000EU for the village and 7,580,000EU for your long distance. Would be ok.
    One could also use some kind of exponential growth. – Just thought and calculated a bit, forget about that (it gets really fast really big).

I played a bit with it, 80000EU+(x^1.2)*500EU, where x is the distance in sqares, gives a nice graph with approxymately one million EU for 500 squares and circa four million EU for 2000 squares. If this is too low, one could change the constant cost (makes small distances use more), the factor (1000EU) (it’s overall costlyer) or the exponent (this will make far voyages cost more). 1.2 is pretty small, one would probably expect 2, but beware, this will make great differences for big distances.
    (Plots by Wolframalpha: for x^1.2: http://tinyurl.com/6db3b8l and for x^2: http://tinyurl.com/6e39x8y)

Edit: ‘Crunching numbers’ is stronger than I thought, changed it.

• teleportation is pretty energy-consuming in reality

Please tell me of this technology you have discovered...it would be handy.

OT:

To be honest, I completely disagree. Teleporters are not designed for hopping floors, going between villages and houses, and skipping out to the nearest attraction. They are designed for distances even the nether cannot comprehend fully.

Need to get to another floor? Use stairs/ladders
    Need to get to another house? Walk
    Need to get to another village? Minecarts
    Need to get to another part of the map? Nether
    Need to go to the fucking moon and back place really really far away? Teleporters

Each method of transportation is designed for a specific range, and they work well when in that range. If you expect teleporters to use your idea, you destroy their only advantage over these other methods of transportation, which is massive transport range with minimum cost.

Lets think of it this way. Would you design a massive minecart station in order to transport yourself to the next room? Obviously not, because its excessive and unneeded, you can just walk there easier. This is because each level of transportation has a certain worth for distance. You wouldn't use nether portals to go around a village, but they are great for going between villages. As the distance scales up, the inaccuracy increases, so you must combine different levels of transportation to get to where you want. IC is designed to be a supplemental mod, it is supposed to take what MC already has and improve and increase upon it, and this is exactly what the teleporter does. It is designed to supplement the current transportation to allow for even farther ranges easier, not to overwrite every single transportation system in the entire game.

TL;DR: No. It should actually be increased.

• Need to get to another floor? Use stairs/ladders
    Need to get to another house? Walk
    Need to get to another village? Minecarts
    Need to get to another part of the map? Nether
    Need to go to the fucking moon and back place really really far away? Teleporters

Ooh rah!

Xaiier is right, it would defeat the core purpose of the teleporter.

A lift in the house would be nice though! Has that been suggested/canned in the past?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt

• Official Post

Actually i like this idea. I will probably tweek the values, but it sounds reasonable.
    And why not abuse the extremely costly teleporters as stair replacement in futuristic buildinga ^^

And for setting up MinerStations on layer 40 while living in a sky penthouse.

• Official Post

Actually i like this idea. I will probably tweek the values, but it sounds reasonable.
    And why not abuse the extremely costly teleporters as stair replacement in futuristic buildinga ^^

And for setting up MinerStations on layer 40 while living in a sky penthouse.

Yes! YES! I like this :). I really want to use teleporters to get between some things that are relatively close, but the amount of energy (and even more importantly, time) that is required to get to and fro is prohibitive for me.

If teleport energy was dependent on distance traveled, that'd be great!