Buildcraft - Item Type Based Key System

• Designed this thinking about keys and keycards.

This system would use an obsidian pipe next to your door, you'll throw an item in there, it'll take the item and if its the correct one, drop it on a pressure pad inside and open the door, if not it goes on to your sorter/recycler. People will literally be GIVING you items as they try to figure out wtf your key is.

You could set it something obscure (Soulsand), expensive (Diamond Pickaxe), or obscure and expensive (Diamond Hoe) no one will want to guess what your key type is for fear of wasting stuff and giving it to you!

Do I get a cookie?

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Nope. If anyone would actually want to get in your base, they would just break the door. However, if you used that to turn off a forcefield...

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• Nope. If anyone would actually want to get in your base, they would just break the door. However, if you used that to turn off a forcefield...

The server I play on basically we have this unwritten rule that destroying other people's stuff is not allowed, but stealing however is. If you don't protect your stuff, its your fault, but no one is going to bust in your wall to rob a chest.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• You could also put sand or gravel over the door with lava 1 thick above. Gravel might not be easily recognized and it appears as if the wall is 3 thick.

• you could also set it to soming insanely expensive (mass fab)

It's the idea of playing with atomic power, I am not perfect, same as any other human. Therefor, human = mistakes, mistakes = bad things, bad things + atomic fusion = very bad things. :cursing: :Nuke TNT: :cursing:

GO GREEN!

• I like this idea! I only play on servers where people don't break things or steal things, and it seems that if you allow people to break things there's basically nothing you can do to protect anything (even obsidian doesn't really help very much), but I still like thinking about ways to protect areas in the hypothetical "stealing OK, breaking illegal" universe. This led me to make a combination lock for my vanilla-server base's front door, which I leave open most of the time because it's irritating otherwise, but I like the item-key idea as well. Some simple redstone circuits could make it exponentially more difficult to attack by requiring a sequence of items to be deposited instead of just one.

• I like this idea! I only play on servers where people don't break things or steal things, and it seems that if you allow people to break things there's basically nothing you can do to protect anything (even obsidian doesn't really help very much), but I still like thinking about ways to protect areas in the hypothetical "stealing OK, breaking illegal" universe. This led me to make a combination lock for my vanilla-server base's front door, which I leave open most of the time because it's irritating otherwise, but I like the item-key idea as well. Some simple redstone circuits could make it exponentially more difficult to attack by requiring a sequence of items to be deposited instead of just one.

So essentially several AND circuits so that when all circuits are powered, the door opens? Something to that effect?

• That would do the job, or you could get more complicated and build a state machine so you also have to put the items in in the proper order.